Raven Review

DreamKid

Tyus Bowser's explosive COD is just too much for lineman to deal with, he really has a big year coming. He just turned 23 today, so best wishes to our future superstar.

Here he is beating both starting Tackles on the Browns for sacks. Left Tackle Shon Coleman and now Right Tackle Chris Hubbard. 

Obviously I'm excited about Bowser's potential, but I really think Judon may be the breakout player this year.

8 sacks last year and very strong in coverage according to PFF (which matches eye test to some degree).

I could see 10 sacks and 2 INT this season, which would really put him on the map.  I see him getting a massive deal from the Browns in the 2019/2020 offseason.

5 hours ago, sp6488 said:

and very strong in coverage according to PFF (which matches eye test to some degree).

Does it? 

PFF has him rated as the best 3-4 OLB in coverage last year.  He definitely was put out in coverage a fair bit last season, and did a pretty good job out in the flat but he looked far too stiff to say that he's "strong in coverage" imo

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

Does it? 

PFF has him rated as the best 3-4 OLB in coverage last year.  He definitely we put out in coverage a fair bit last season, and did a pretty good job out in the flat but he looked far too stiff to say that he's "strong in coverage" imo

Yea that score has to largely be built upon his ability to blow up screens, which while impressive isn't what I would define as "strong" overall either. Rather "useful"/"capable".

Houston used Bowser in coverage quite extensively. Which I believe held down his sack totals and kept him from being the Top 10-15 pick he should've been from a production and athleticism standpoint. Even having him mirror Tight Ends, a skill which could've been explored last year with more capable coaches perhaps.

20 hours ago, drd23 said:

Does it? 

PFF has him rated as the best 3-4 OLB in coverage last year.  He definitely was put out in coverage a fair bit last season, and did a pretty good job out in the flat but he looked far too stiff to say that he's "strong in coverage" imo

I'm more concerned about direction than magnitude in this case.

And re: @DreamKid

Yea that score has to largely be built upon his ability to blow up screens, which while impressive isn't what I would define as "strong" overall either. Rather "useful"/"capable".

I'm fine with that, honestly.  A pass rusher who can play screens is more than valuable enough IMO.  Lamenting him not being awesome at running man-to-man with TEs and being a complete stud in the run game would be somewhat letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Edited by sp6488

21 year old rookie Marlon Humphrey pushing around 29 year old 7 year vet AJ Green-

Also remember antonio brown caught 2 of 5 against Humphrey for a total of 7 yards, in Marlon's first ever start. 

I maintain that barring injuries our corner back group is the strongest in the NFL. What Jimmy brings is proven and undeniable and Marlon has demonstrated a consistent ability to blanket top tier receivers and possesses a rapidly ascending profile. Potentially having two shutdown corners is a special and rare feat even in a league that is consistently searching for such a tandem. The Jaguars have achieved that rarity with Ramsey and Bouye and I'm sure most would consider them the superior duo to ours. Where our edge becomes undeniable though is with our 3rd, 4th and 5th options. 

Absence has made the heart grow fonder when it comes to Tavon Young. Perhaps I've been guilty of over hyping him, but not by much. During his rookie season we were treated to star quality play with very few hiccups. A couple missed assignments, misjudging how close to play someone a few times, you really have to nitpick to find errors with Tavon's game from two years ago. This article does a good job breaking down just what Young brought to our team-

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2017/2/16/14634234/ravens-coachs-film-tavon-is-a-young-bright-spot-ravens-cornerback

- I also recommend combing through Ken McKusick's game studies from 2016 where tracks individual players and notes how special Young is. The Miami game where he handled Landry was a big one.

Tavon Young is a rare player who despite his size can play the outside to a very high level, inside he should prove to be special. I believe his return gives us the strongest LCB, RCB, SCB trio in the league. Being realistic it might take some time for he and Smith to get rolling coming off injuries but I'm not too concerned. 

5 hours ago, sp6488 said:

I'm fine with that, honestly.  A pass rusher who can play screens is more than valuable enough IMO.  Lamenting him not being awesome at running man-to-man with TEs and being a complete stud in the run game would be somewhat letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I don't disagree, I just think his ceiling as a pass rusher should prohibit him being the starter at SAM. Judon lacks an ability to win on his own and is best used in a rotational role so he can always go 100%.

Stunts, cleanup, straight shots, he excels with those aspects but not at consistently just beating the tackle in front of him like our other rushers. I think the latter could improve with him coming off the bench, and with his struggles against run being factored in that move makes even more sense.

I would be fine with Judon in a rotational role... because that's what all five of Baltimore's pass-rushers should be in. Suggs, Judon, Smith, Bowser, and Williams are all good enough to see the field. Keeping a consistent rotation and having them fresh(er) on the field would be wonderful. It's really not that hard. Biggest obstacle is getting them off the field if the opposing offense is in hurry-up but there are plenty of instances in every game where they are not.