Raven Review

DreamKid

10 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Context?  CJ Mosley- 875 Defensive Snaps    Kenny Young- 369 Defensive Snaps

More context, Kenny Young was allowed by the scheme to gamble and shoot gaps.  Additionally, CJ Mosley continued to be on the field for a lot of non-rushing snaps (he played 90% of total), so I don't think it's fair to say he was simply less efficient.

I'm not going to argue that CJ Mosley is the best ILB in the league, but I think a fair number of people are sleeping on his positives and overemphasizing his deficiencies.  Is he great in pass coverage?  No, but there aren't many ILB that are.  I would say he's somewhere around average for the position in that aspect of his game.  Better at zone then man, IMO. I would say he's well above average to elite in every other aspect.  Against the run, maintaining his responsibility for gap/assignment, calling the D and play recognition, etc.  Ultimately I think people are underplaying the impact that platooning had on Peanut, Young and Levine's respective successes.  

I want to see Mosley back.  The tough thing is that it's hard to negotiate the contract for a guy who's just outside of the top-3 or so at his position as you can't just take the last guy's number and add a dollar (figuratively).

Edited by sp6488

9 hours ago, sp6488 said:

More context, Kenny Young was allowed by the scheme to gamble and shoot gaps.  Additionally, CJ Mosley continued to be on the field for a lot of non-rushing snaps (he played 90% of total), so I don't think it's fair to say he was simply less efficient.

I'm not going to argue that CJ Mosley is the best ILB in the league, but I think a fair number of people are sleeping on his positives and overemphasizing his deficiencies.  Is he great in pass coverage?  No, but there aren't many ILB that are.  I would say he's somewhere around average for the position in that aspect of his game.  Better at zone then man, IMO. I would say he's well above average to elite in every other aspect.  Against the run, maintaining his responsibility for gap/assignment, calling the D and play recognition, etc.  Ultimately I think people are underplaying the impact that platooning had on Peanut, Young and Levine's respective successes.  

I want to see Mosley back.  The tough thing is that it's hard to negotiate the contract for a guy who's just outside of the top-3 or so at his position as you can't just take the last guy's number and add a dollar (figuratively).

All I know is that when Mosley went down and Peanut/Young manned the position there was literally no difference in play, in fact, it was arguably better... outside of the initial half where he went down, of course.

I’ll ll take my chances with those guys at a much cheaper rate.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...