Dorsey shakes up the front office

brooks1957

About time. Opera has been here way too long without any success. Time for a change. 

Also they announced that Scot McCloughan is done consulting the team and is back to advising other teams. Which sucks I was hoping he’d take a job here. 

9 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Dorsey said they were staying. I think money ball is getting about 10M a year so I doubt jimmy would want to eat that. 

He’s also a pretty brilliant dude that’s already revolutionized one sport.

If Dorsey was smart he’d listen to what the dude has to say.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yep, his level of intelligence is at the point where he makes smart people look dumb

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It looks like he did. I can’t find the article now but it basically said to look at the players we took this year. All of them ranked pretty high according to analytics, especially our new franchise qb. 

22 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

It looks like he did. I can’t find the article now but it basically said to look at the players we took this year. All of them ranked pretty high according to analytics, especially our new franchise qb. 

I would not say they followed analytics with every pick. The three where they did were Baker Mayfield, Denzel Ward, and Genard Avery. Those three score at an elite level with skills that both: 1) project NFL success; and 2) help teams win games. 

Corbett was not a real analytics pick, but that's mainly because he does not have a clear position in the NFL. Chad Thomas does not project to be an every-down player, so he gets dinged a bit too.

Chubb and Ratley both are fine. They project to be good starters, but they were not the best guys available per "analytics" at their respective spots.

Calloway is a great pick in terms of value. I do not know if I would describe him  as an "analytics pick" though, he is just a good football player.

So, tl;dr, Dorsey and company made three major picks where they 100% followed what most analytics suggested were the best players available, four picks that were "good" but not "great" regarding analytics, and two that were kind of head-scratchers.

As a guy who follows the NFL and analytics, I think it was a great combination, and am excited to see how we look this year.

1 hour ago, jking948 said:

I would not say they followed analytics with every pick. The three where they did were Baker Mayfield, Denzel Ward, and Genard Avery. Those three score at an elite level with skills that both: 1) project NFL success; and 2) help teams win games. 

Corbett was not a real analytics pick, but that's mainly because he does not have a clear position in the NFL. Chad Thomas does not project to be an every-down player, so he gets dinged a bit too.

Chubb and Ratley both are fine. They project to be good starters, but they were not the best guys available per "analytics" at their respective spots.

Calloway is a great pick in terms of value. I do not know if I would describe him  as an "analytics pick" though, he is just a good football player.

So, tl;dr, Dorsey and company made three major picks where they 100% followed what most analytics suggested were the best players available, four picks that were "good" but not "great" regarding analytics, and two that were kind of head-scratchers.

As a guy who follows the NFL and analytics, I think it was a great combination, and am excited to see how we look this year.

Is their a basis for analytic's being contextualized to the Browns roster?

1 minute ago, Kiwibrown said:

Is their a basis for analytic's being contextualized to the Browns roster?

Do you mean based on style of play and other guys on the team at various positions?

Not in my post, and I have no idea if the Browns did or not, but I have to imagine there is. Again, just looking at those three picks, Mayfield is just crazy elite, Ward fits Williams' defense, and Avery fills a need. So it makes sense.

Not sure if I understood your question, though.

1 hour ago, jking948 said:

Yeah I misremembered. It wasn’t an article it was a discussion on that other site. What you wrote above sounds pretty close. Good stuff jking. This is what made me like Dorsey a little more. Sounds like he’ll use analytics and also a good ole gut feeling with good scouting. Cough Butch Davis cough. 

Kind of why I wanted to team him with Sashi. I think mixing both philosophies together is the way to go. Hopefully he keeps it up, I don’t see any reason we don’t get at least 5 starters from this draft and possibly a 6th in Avery. To top it off I think we finally got a franchise qb. FINALLY, FREAKING FINALLY!!!!!!111!!!!11!!!!!!1!!!

Archived