2018 OTA's

AKRNA

16 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I love the 2014 class cant argue with results and rings but as far as completely changing the dynamic of a team of 2018 takes it.

Chubb

Cravens 

Sutton

Freeman

Hamilton

Jewell

Yiadom 

Fugamali.

2012 Peyton Manning signing probably changes the dynamic of a team more than 2014/2018 combined. 

That's the best part about the Draft though, we are all high on potential right now.

19 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I love the 2014 class cant argue with results and rings but as far as completely changing the dynamic of a team of 2018 takes it.

Chubb

Cravens 

Sutton

Freeman

Hamilton

Jewell

Yiadom 

Fugamali.

Until any of those guys does anything other than take pictures in a jersey, this comment is just pure excitement and not rooted in reality. Also, come on dude, Troy Fumagalli and Yiadom? I like the picks, but let's not act like those two guys right now are tone setters that completely change the direction of the franchise.

Chubb is a very, very good draft pick. Cravens was a wise pickup (but not without questions). The rest of these guys will likely not be major contributors until a year or more out, with the exception of Freeman. 

And the 2014 group turned around a franchise that was not winning for a long time. There is no bigger change in dynamic than the group of players who led us to a championship. This draft is a step in the right direction, but no impact is greater than winning rings.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Until any of those guys does anything other than take pictures in a jersey, this comment is just pure excitement and not rooted in reality. Also, come on dude, Troy Fumagalli and Yiadom? I like the picks, but let's not act like those two guys right now are tone setters that completely change the direction of the franchise.

Chubb is a very, very good draft pick. Cravens was a wise pickup (but not without questions). The rest of these guys will likely not be major contributors until a year or more out, with the exception of Freeman. 

And the 2014 group turned around a franchise that was not winning for a long time. There is no bigger change in dynamic than the group of players who led us to a championship. This draft is a step in the right direction, but no impact is greater than winning rings.

Well, that's not really true. We did finish both the 2012 and 2013 seasons at 13-3. I don't think you can say they "turned us around", better to say they were the final piece.

On 5/29/2018 at 1:18 PM, AKRNA said:

Well, that's not really true. We did finish both the 2012 and 2013 seasons at 13-3. I don't think you can say they "turned us around", better to say they were the final piece.

I'd rather win the SB than be 13-3 and not do it. The turnaround, in my mind, was complete (i.e. finally winning) once that group came in.

Nobody has flat out said it, but there seem to be hints that the Broncos have been toying with a defensive formation featuring four EDGEs along the defensive line, four safeties (two as box LBs - probably Cravens and Parks) and three corners. Not even sure what to call that look but that is a lot of speed on the field at once. 

19 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Nobody has flat out said it, but there seem to be hints that the Broncos have been toying with a defensive formation featuring four EDGEs along the defensive line, four safeties (two as box LBs - probably Cravens and Parks) and three corners. Not even sure what to call that look but that is a lot of speed on the field at once. 

Haha...speed....lol

37 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Hard not to get excited about Case after reading what the players have to say about him. Am I overreacting?

Yes.  

No contact, no pass rush, no exotic D schemes or disguises, 7 on 7.  

Remember Lynch supposedly looked really impressive last year in OTA’s.   Carlos Henderson and Isiah McKenzie were running all over the place.   And it’s not just 2017 it’s the same case year in year out. 

OTA’s always showcase athleticism for non-QB skill players and how well QB’s play with no pressure and no contact.   The 2 things it can say for real is it a guy is healthy and if someone has trouble incorporating the playbook (struggling here does mean something since it only gets a lot harder in-season but looking good means little).   The other useful news is who is winning the battle when roster spots are clearly up for grabs (not as much when starters are sitting out or absent though).  

Neither of those issues should be a concern for Keenum.   But it’s a long way to saying he’s our long term answer.  We’ve seen all too well how little preseason and practice performance translate to on-the-field performance.   That’s even more the case for shirts-and-shorts displays.  

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Yes.  

Remember Lynch supposedly looked really impressive last year in OTA’s.   Carlos Henderson and Isiah McKenzie were running all over the place.   And it’s not just 2017 it’s the same case year in year out. 

OTA’s always showcase athleticism for non-QB skill players and how well QB’s play with no pressure and no contact.   The 2 things it can say for real is it a guy is healthy and if someone has trouble incorporating the playbook (struggling here does mean something since it only gets a lot harder in-season but looking good means little).   The other useful news is who is winning the battle when roster spots are clearly up for grabs (not as much when starters are sitting out or absent though).  

Neither of those issues should be a concern for Keenum.   But it’s a long way to saying he’s our long term answer.  We’ve seen all too well how little preseason and practice performance translate to on-the-field performance.   That’s even more the case for shirts-and-shorts displays.  

I just like how he's putting in the extra film room with the wrs I also like how he's doing things off the field with him.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Yes.  

Agreed.

As far as Keenum goes, I’m crossing my fingers.  I certainly think he’s an upgrade over Siemian (way overrated), but I also don’t think Keenum is as good as his stats suggested last year.

Keenum was in a perfect spot last year in Minnesota.  He had an at least decent OL, a running game which also had a dynamic weapon in McKinnon, quality targets, and an elite defense.  Keenum needs that to be successful, he isn’t a carry your team type.  

Since Elway has been running the show he’s always followed trends.  For example, after losing the SB to the Seahawks he turned his focus to the defense.  It seems he’s trying to replicate the Vikings now.  Average QB where he’s going to try and keep an elite defense while adding weapons offensively.  

10 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I just like how he's putting in the extra film room with the wrs I also like how he's doing things off the field with him.

Those are good things - but let's be clear, Siemian did all of that last year, and we praised his intangibles and extra time / Big 10 work ethic.    It's what every QB who joins a new team / O should be doing.   It's good he's doing it, but no guarantee he's going to be top 12-15 level successful (which at his contract, you need to see to make a profit on the investment).

10 hours ago, germ-x said:

Agreed.

As far as Keenum goes, I’m crossing my fingers.  I certainly think he’s an upgrade over Siemian (way overrated), but I also don’t think Keenum is as good as his stats suggested last year.

Keenum was in a perfect spot last year in Minnesota.  He had an at least decent OL, a running game which also had a dynamic weapon in McKinnon, quality targets, and an elite defense.  Keenum needs that to be successful, he isn’t a carry your team type.  

Since Elway has been running the show he’s always followed trends.  For example, after losing the SB to the Seahawks he turned his focus to the defense.  It seems he’s trying to replicate the Vikings now.  Average QB where he’s going to try and keep an elite defense while adding weapons offensively.  

Yeah, he should easily be an upgrade over Siemian/others - the question is how much.   On that you know how I feel - one year of success with a top 3 D that only required 17+ pts of O to win games and let the O play ahead most of the game (so let run game and play action be even more deadly), one of the easiest pass D schedules for QB's to face last year, and a much more diversely talented group of O players (and better OL play, crucial aspect).  The perfect storm.   Take those away and the warts QB’s have start to show.   Given how long it took to get Keenum to succeed it’s hard not to be concerned he’s just a stopgap and not the long term answer at all.

The kicker being that while 18M AAV is very much average to just below average for QB's (19th out of 32), with our cap situation we need to see much better than that range of QB play - profit has to be seen, which is why getting top 10-12 play at rookie league contracts is the Holy Grail.   

OTA's are good for health checks and see who is winning a battle when starting/roster spots are on the line - that's real news.   And struggles are worth noting, because the real play in-season is so much harder.  But other than that, it's pretty much noise, not news.    It's why there are always 32 teams reporting great things in OTA's this time of year.   

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Those are good things - but let's be clear, Siemian did all of that last year, and we praised his intangibles and extra time / Big 10 work ethic.    It's what every QB who joins a new team / O should be doing.   It's good he's doing it, but no guarantee he's going to be top 12-15 level successful (which at his contract, you need to see to make a profit on the investment).

Yeah, he should easily be an upgrade over Siemian/others - the question is how much.   On that you know how I feel - one year of success with a top 3 D that only required 17+ pts of O to win games and let the O play ahead most of the game (so let run game and play action be even more deadly), one of the easiest pass D schedules for QB's to face last year, and a much more diversely talented group of O players (and better OL play, crucial aspect).  The perfect storm.   Take those away and the warts QB’s have start to show.   Given how long it took to get Keenum to succeed it’s hard not to be concerned he’s just a stopgap and not the long term answer at all.

The kicker being that while 18M AAV is very much average to just below average for QB's (19th out of 32), with our cap situation we need to see much better than that range of QB play - profit has to be seen, which is why getting top 10-12 play at rookie league contracts is the Holy Grail.   

OTA's are good for health checks and see who is winning a battle when starting/roster spots are on the line - that's real news.   And struggles are worth noting, because the real play in-season is so much harder.  But other than that, it's pretty much noise, not news.    It's why there are always 32 teams reporting great things in OTA's this time of year.   

No one is saying hes the long term guy.  I do feel theres good things that make short term success possible.

Archived