2018 OTA's

AKRNA

Well if anyone thought that Carlos Henderson was ready to help soon...this can't be good news.    It's pretty much unheard of to get cut in Year 2 as a Day 2 pick - literally saves us next to nothing (182K saved lol).   It's bad enough Henderson looks like just a gadget guy, but an outright cut would seal this as one of the worst Day 2 picks in recent history.   Hopefully it lights a fire under him...but given he had trouble absorbing a college O playbook, man, this isn't good.  

Draft investment is his only path to making the team. McKenzie looks like he is that 5th guy, and there have been reports that former Ute WR Tim Patrick has been steadily climbing the ranks. Beyond that, Taylor will be back and there is a huge logjam of other guys. Might have to see if you can get a late, late pick for Henderson at this point. Crazy. 

9 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Draft investment is his only path to making the team. McKenzie looks like he is that 5th guy, and there have been reports that former Ute WR Tim Patrick has been steadily climbing the ranks. Beyond that, Taylor will be back and there is a huge logjam of other guys. Might have to see if you can get a late, late pick for Henderson at this point. Crazy. 

John Diarse is making an impression also. I noticed we've got 13 WR's in camp. With DT, Manny and our two picks virtually assured of spots that leaves 9 players fighting for two jobs.

Pretty bad time to be nursing a hamstring.

I trust nothing out of OTA when it comes to QB. I think Case is going to produce below a Kyle Orton level in TD/INT ratio, but his ability to throw on the run will prove useful. When all is said and done, he should sit around the Kyle Orton tier of our stopgap QB's. Below Plummer, above Trevor, sharing a tandem bike of middling QB with Orton and not in the conversation for really bringing this team anywhere meaningful.

52 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

John Diarse is making an impression also. I noticed we've got 13 WR's in camp. With DT, Manny and our two picks virtually assured of spots that leaves 9 players fighting for two jobs.

Pretty bad time to be nursing a hamstring.

No guarantee they carry six guys either. It's going to be an interesting numbers crunch with the five running backs all taking first team snaps, plus Janovich. 

3 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I trust nothing out of OTA when it comes to QB. I think Case is going to produce below a Kyle Orton level in TD/INT ratio, but his ability to throw on the run will prove useful. When all is said and done, he should sit around the Kyle Orton tier of our stopgap QB's. Below Plummer, above Trevor, sharing a tandem bike of middling QB with Orton and not in the conversation for really bringing this team anywhere meaningful.

Haven't heard much excitement about Keenum coming out of OTAs anyway. I think in general, expectations of Keenum have been fair. It's refreshing to have a QB who can make plays off schedule again, but he just has physical limitations. 

22 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

No guarantee they carry six guys either. It's going to be an interesting numbers crunch with the five running backs all taking first team snaps, plus Janovich. 

Good point. Lots of positive press has been coming out about our 3 rookie RB's. Tough cuts with that group.

Really, the only thing we can take home from OTA's is that Henderson's not guaranteed a roster spot.  Which is how it should be, but man, that still stings as far as wasted draft capital goes.  It's bad enough that we're likely going to only use him as a gadget guy best-case.   

When it comes to looking good - it really means so little.   Remember, last OTA's people were raving about Henderson, Mckenzie & RB Henderson's speed and agility.  And how Lynch was looking better.   We know how that ended up.   7-on-7, no contact, no D disguising anything - it's about as meaningless in terms of predicting success.  Now, on the other hand, if you struggle, given how OTA's are really meant to show off everyone's best traits...well, that's a big problem.   Struggles, roster battles and how healthy a guy is coming off major injury, that's real news.  The rest is just noise. 

23 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Really, the only thing we can take home from OTA's is that Henderson's not guaranteed a roster spot.  Which is how it should be, but man, that still stings as far as wasted draft capital goes.  It's bad enough that we're likely going to only use him as a gadget guy best-case.   

When it comes to looking good - it really means so little.   Remember, last OTA's people were raving about Henderson, Mckenzie & RB Henderson's speed and agility.  And how Lynch was looking better.   We know how that ended up.   7-on-7, no contact, no D disguising anything - it's about as meaningless in terms of predicting success.  Now, on the other hand, if you struggle, given how OTA's are really meant to show off everyone's best traits...well, that's a big problem.   Struggles, roster battles and how healthy a guy is coming off major injury, that's real news.  The rest is just noise. 

I sort of agree, but I took away a bit more than that. Most significant to me is our offensive strategy. I think we'll see much more of a WC offense this year. First time in a decade. Seems we'll be incorporating RB's and TE's a lot more in the passing game. Also, we're finally incorporating plays to slow and punish a blitzing team, something we've been lacking.

The second thing I think I think is that Paxton's heading for 3rd string. Same story, some great splash plays but still can't complete passes on a consistent basis. As one reporter put it, he misses open receivers that an NFL QB can't miss.

Anyway, for the most part you're right. 

16 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I sort of agree, but I took away a bit more than that. Most significant to me is our offensive strategy. I think we'll see much more of a WC offense this year. First time in a decade. Seems we'll be incorporating RB's and TE's a lot more in the passing game. Also, we're finally incorporating plays to slow and punish a blitzing team, something we've been lacking.

The second thing I think I think is that Paxton's heading for 3rd string. Same story, some great splash plays but still can't complete passes on a consistent basis. As one reporter put it, he misses open receivers that an NFL QB can't miss.

Anyway, for the most part you're right. 

Yeah I agree we can get info on scheme change, etc.   For teams putting in new O schemes there’s definitely new info.    It’s also why you don’t see many vets miss voluntary OTA with a new scheme being put in the situations where this happens are with existing schemes (PIT & Le’veon Bell might be the only exception shows how bad things are there between team & player there).  

The focus news-wise though is almost always on the players which is for the most part just noise except for the aforementioned areas.   I do also think Lynch is showing so little 3rd QB seems likely.  

Archived