Preseason, Week 2: VIKINGS (1-0) at Seahawks (0-0)

swede700

49 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I am looking for better offensive line play...both in pass protection and opening better lanes for the running game.

I think run blocking will be significantly better than last year. Pass protection however, I have little confidence in this OL and I don't think there will be much improvement over last year. I hope I'm wrong but there are a lot of new faces who aren't particularly known for their ability in pass protection. Committing to Shurmur's scheme and having a run game might be do more for pass protection than the actual players acquired.

Pass protection would look better if Bradford would learn to climb, and move within, the pocket more frequently. It's a part of his game that has really held him back from being a perennial top 15 quarterback  

Its interesting watching quarterbacks like Brady, Ryan and Rivers, who haven't always had good offensive lines, move inside the pocket to buy themselves more time. Their pocket awareness makes their offensive lines look better. 

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Pass protection would look better if Bradford would learn to climb, and move within, the pocket more frequently. It's a part of his game that has really held him back from being a perennial top 15 quarterback  

Its interesting watching quarterbacks like Brady, Ryan and Rivers, who haven't always had good offensive lines, move inside the pocket to buy themselves more time. Their pocket awareness makes their offensive lines look better. 

I'm pretty sure Brady's worst Oline is many times better than ours...

16 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I think run blocking will be significantly better than last year. Pass protection however, I have little confidence in this OL and I don't think there will be much improvement over last year. I hope I'm wrong but there are a lot of new faces who aren't particularly known for their ability in pass protection. Committing to Shurmur's scheme and having a run game might be do more for pass protection than the actual players acquired.

Agreed.  This is a where the QB can help the oline by having better pocket awareness.

It will be interesting to see if they give Michael Floyd first-team reps in this game or at any point this preseason.

I think Floyd (and/or Treadwell) can help fill a massive void for this team.

I should've probably put this in the QBOTF discussion too, but Sam Bradford was just 17-29 (54.8%) inside the 10 last year (64.1% inside the 20). Granted, all percentages drop as you get closer to the end zone, but there was a clear need in the red zone passing offense for a big passing target.

27 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Granted, all percentages drop as you get closer to the end zone, but there was a clear need in the red zone passing offense for a big passing target.

Would be nice to see Hodges snag a few grabs in this game. Wouldn't complain if they were in the red/end zone! :D

The Vikings opened the preseason with one starter out on the offensive line. Now, they could be down two.

Left guard Alex Boone missed a third straight practice Wednesday in preparation for Friday’s second exhibition at Seattle. Boone had his left knee wrapped and declined comment. Left tackle Riley Reiff, who missed last Thursday’s 17-10 win over Buffalo in the opener, did some work in practice. But Rashod Hill mostly managed the spot with the first team in team drills, and Reiff eventually went to a side field.

Reiff suffered a back injury in practice July 27 and has been limited since returning to workouts Aug. 7. If he can’t go Friday, Hill will get a second straight start.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/16/vikings-line-starters-friday-vs-seahawks/

47 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

An injury to Boone would hamper depth, but I don't think there's a drop off in talent between him and the next guy. 

Agreed.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Boone off the team next year when there is no cap hit for cutting him.  I think we may need to spend our top 3 picks this year on OL because we have decent depth, but outside of Rieff and Elflein/Easton I don't see any starters on our roster for next season.  I don't see Boone, Berger, or Remmers being on the roster next season.

2 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

Does anyone know much about Austin Pazstor?  I saw that he was still a free agent and was wondering if might be an upgrade from Mike Remmers in pass protection at RT?

The only thing that makes sense as to why Pasztor is still a free agent is that there's some sort of undisclosed medical issue that he's dealing with, ala Mike Harris. 

Hes simply too good to not be on a roster. 

Archived