Boba Fett to be directed by James Mangold

Acgott

12 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Also, Disney is never making an R-Rated Star Wars movie.  Star Wars movies are not made for the box office, they are made for ancillary markets.  You're not going to get a bunch of kids buying a bunch of toys from a movie that they can't watch. 

But why not both, if they can make money from the box office with a gritty star wars film, they're going to turn down a profit just because that profit wouldn't extend to selling toys?

Just now, cddolphin said:

But why not both, if they can make money from the box office with a gritty star wars film, they're going to turn down a profit just because that profit wouldn't extend to selling toys?

Every single major Hollywood movie released makes money.  Every single one.  Even John Carter made money.  It's not about making a profit, it's about how much of a profit.  How many mega budget R-Rated movies are out there?  People don't really buy blu rays all that often except for kid movies for their kids.  It's why Pixar and Disney movies are always 30 dollars.  Always, except for their first few weeks of release.  Every other movie goes down in price, and R-rated movies go down in price significantly faster.  It's why I never buy R-rated movies during their first few weeks because they always go down in price relatively quickly.  So we're talking about movie studios.  Hundreds of millions of dollars go into making a movie, and then they're typically advertised for hundreds of millions more.  When you're talking about hundreds of millions of dollars spent on a movie, you are NOT risking that kind of loss.  These movies never ever ever ever ever experience a loss.  Even movies that bomb, like the recent Ghostbusters movie.  It bombed, and it bombed HARD, but it has still made its money back through television runs, blu ray sales, toys etc. 

Just compare it to your own investment moves.  If you were promised eleven dollars total on a ten dollar investment over 2 years, you probably would just say nah, I'll keep my ten dollars.  If you were promised one hundred and ten dollars over a year on a 100 dollar investment, you might still say no thanks.  But if you were guaranteed 150 dollars in a month plus another 50 dollars over the next year on a hundred dollar investment, you'd probably make that investment. 

Deadpool was made for 58 million.  It made a BUNCH, and its sequel was only given a 110 million budget.  That's for a character that has been around for a long time and has sold toys and comics and other ancillary markets well for the past x amount of years without a movie.  Other than Deadpool and comic book movies, how many big budget movies can you think of? 

Then look at the Star Wars movies that already exist.  Rogue One was made for 200 million.  Force Awakens for 245 million.  45 million less for Rogue One because the characters die and it was the most adult Star Wars movie ever made.  It would take at least 150 million to make a Star Wars movie of any kind, so a Star Wars movie will 99% never be rated R.  Even if they used a character like Darth Maul for it, ask yourself how many Darth Maul toys have sold compared to Luke Skywalker toys.  It's very low comparatively.  So if you have a movie with dark characters and morally grey heroes, you're not getting those ancillary market sales. 

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

there are a few reasons I'm not interested in a Princess Leia movie, first, wouldn't work without Carrie Fisher or it would have to be while she's a kid, because we''d be comparing the actress otherwise. Second, do we want another Star Wars politician based movie, we had those in the prequel trilogy.

I’d love to see a young Leia film. While Luke was a farm boy shooting wamp rats in his spare time, she was actively involved in the rebellion and talking ish straight to Vader’s face. I want to see that Leia carve her path from royalty to eventual rebellion General.  I don’t mind political maneuvering in the film as long as it’s well written and in the hands of a capable director.  

15 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I’d love to see a young Leia film. While Luke was a farm boy shooting wamp rats in his spare time, she was actively involved in the rebellion and talking ish straight to Vader’s face. I want to see that Leia carve her path from royalty to eventual rebellion General.  I don’t mind political maneuvering in the film as long as it’s well written and in the hands of a capable director.  

I am surprised Leia wasnt the first solo movie Disney did. I mean she is the perfect female heroic to do it. Maybe because of Fisher but I dunno. 

7 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Every single major Hollywood movie released makes money.  Every single one.  Even John Carter made money.  It's not about making a profit, it's about how much of a profit.  How many mega budget R-Rated movies are out there?  People don't really buy blu rays all that often except for kid movies for their kids.  It's why Pixar and Disney movies are always 30 dollars.  Always, except for their first few weeks of release.  Every other movie goes down in price, and R-rated movies go down in price significantly faster.  It's why I never buy R-rated movies during their first few weeks because they always go down in price relatively quickly.  So we're talking about movie studios.  Hundreds of millions of dollars go into making a movie, and then they're typically advertised for hundreds of millions more.  When you're talking about hundreds of millions of dollars spent on a movie, you are NOT risking that kind of loss.  These movies never ever ever ever ever experience a loss.  Even movies that bomb, like the recent Ghostbusters movie.  It bombed, and it bombed HARD, but it has still made its money back through television runs, blu ray sales, toys etc. 

Just compare it to your own investment moves.  If you were promised eleven dollars total on a ten dollar investment over 2 years, you probably would just say nah, I'll keep my ten dollars.  If you were promised one hundred and ten dollars over a year on a 100 dollar investment, you might still say no thanks.  But if you were guaranteed 150 dollars in a month plus another 50 dollars over the next year on a hundred dollar investment, you'd probably make that investment. 

Deadpool was made for 58 million.  It made a BUNCH, and its sequel was only given a 110 million budget.  That's for a character that has been around for a long time and has sold toys and comics and other ancillary markets well for the past x amount of years without a movie.  Other than Deadpool and comic book movies, how many big budget movies can you think of? 

Then look at the Star Wars movies that already exist.  Rogue One was made for 200 million.  Force Awakens for 245 million.  45 million less for Rogue One because the characters die and it was the most adult Star Wars movie ever made.  It would take at least 150 million to make a Star Wars movie of any kind, so a Star Wars movie will 99% never be rated R.  Even if they used a character like Darth Maul for it, ask yourself how many Darth Maul toys have sold compared to Luke Skywalker toys.  It's very low comparatively.  So if you have a movie with dark characters and morally grey heroes, you're not getting those ancillary market sales. 

Agree with most of this and the essential point, but I think you are underestimating how many parents take their kids (9 -15 )to R rated movies.  And it's not like an R rated Star wars movue would come anywhere near a Deadpool movie as far as gratuitousness.  Empire was edgier at the time, but kept the PG rating.  

On 5/25/2018 at 1:27 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

ask yourself how many Darth Maul toys have sold compared to Luke Skywalker toys.

Luke skywalker as a character is 22 years older than Darth Maul.

On 5/25/2018 at 1:27 PM, HorizontoZenith said:

So if you have a movie with dark characters and morally grey heroes, you're not getting those ancillary market sales. 

Villains aren't necessarily worse choices, Frieza toys outsell Krillin toys. Besides, people who were kids when Phantom Menace came out are like late 20s early 30s now, and that's an untapped market. Disney can make as many movies as they want at the same time, but kids will only buy so many toys.

Just now, TXsteeler said:

Luke skywalker as a character is 22 years older than Darth Maul.

Villains aren't necessarily worse choices, Frieza toys outsell Krillin toys. Besides, people who were kids when Phantom Menace came out are like late 20s early 30s now, and that's an untapped market. Disney can make as many movies as they want at the same time, but kids will only buy so many toys.

The Overarching Point

Your head

Not gonna get into an argument with you because I don't really like talking to you. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The Overarching Point

Your head

Not gonna get into an argument with you because I don't really like talking to you. 

There's no argument to be had, I fully get your point and I'm saying that it isn't completely valid in this case. Making episode 9 would hurt toy sales, but the opportunity cost of making an R rated spinoff isn't nearly as high as you make it out to be.

Just now, TXsteeler said:

There's no argument to be had, I fully get your point and I'm saying that it isn't completely valid in this case. Making episode 9 would hurt toy sales, but the opportunity cost of making an R rated spinoff isn't nearly as high as you make it out to be.

Real simple way to end this argument:

1. Can a Star Wars movie and would a Star Wars movie be made under 100 million dollars?
2. How many R-Rated movies have had a budget of 100 million dollars or more?
3. Would a Star Wars movie ever be made not under the Disney banner (one of their other holding companies)?
4. Has Disney ever produced an R-rated movie under their Disney banner?

I'll give you a hint on #2:

There have been 27 R-rated movies made with a budget of 100 million dollars or more in the history of ever. 

Not nearly as high as I make it out to be?  Lol.  It's higher. 

23 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Real simple way to end this argument:

1. Can a Star Wars movie and would a Star Wars movie be made under 100 million dollars?
2. How many R-Rated movies have had a budget of 100 million dollars or more?
3. Would a Star Wars movie ever be made not under the Disney banner (one of their other holding companies)?
4. Has Disney ever produced an R-rated movie under their Disney banner?

I'll give you a hint on #2:

There have been 27 R-rated movies made with a budget of 100 million dollars or more in the history of ever. 

Not nearly as high as I make it out to be?  Lol.  It's higher. 

Wait I don't understand what you are arguing anymore, are you saying a star wars R rated movie can't be profitable in theaters because that's just not true.

I'm arguing that the opportunity cost isn't that high and you aren't explaining to me how it is.

14 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Wait I don't understand what you are arguing anymore, are you saying a star wars R rated movie can't be profitable in theaters because that's just not true.

I'm arguing that the opportunity cost isn't that high and you aren't explaining to me how it is.

I've argued from the beginning that a Star Wars movie will never be rated R because one won't be.  I initially used lowered return on ancillary markets for an R versus PG or PG-13 movie.  I added more reasons later.  

16 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I've argued from the beginning that a Star Wars movie will never be rated R because one won't be.  I initially used lowered return on ancillary markets for an R versus PG or PG-13 movie.  I added more reasons later.  

I just think that they have an untapped market there and some R rated movies have made 3/4ths of a Billion dollars so they could still be successful in the box office even with a $200 million budget. TBH though they could just make a good PG-13 movie and not make it for kids and it would be fine, it doesn't need to be R rated for any reason, I think some adults just want a Star Wars movie that isn't a jokefest where nothing is ever taken seriously, like every other disney movie in recent memory.

Archived