Changes to front office

Arthur Penske

Jon-Eric Sullivan is entering his 15th season with the club and has been promoted to co-director of player personnel. He spent the past two years as the director of college scouting after working as a college scout for 12 years. Sullivan previously served as the team's National Football Scouting representative to the annual NFL Scouting Combine and authored evaluations of all prospective seniors in the Southwest region. He joined the team’s football operations department on July 12, 2004, after serving as a scouting intern during the Packers’ 2003 training camp.

John Wojciechowski (woh-jih-cow-skee), who is entering his 23rd season in the NFL and his seventh with the Packers, has been promoted to co-director of player personnel. Last season, he was the director of pro personnel after previously serving as a college scout for the Packers from 2012-16. Prior to joining Green Bay, Wojciechowski was a college scout for the Dallas Cowboys (2003-11) and Jacksonville Jaguars (1998-2002) following two seasons as a player personnel assistant with the Pittsburgh Steelers (1996-97).

Matt Malaspina (mal-eh-SPEEN-ah) enters his 21st NFL season and his second with the Packers. After being hired as a college scout in 2017, he has been promoted to director of college scouting. Malaspina joined Green Bay after spending 12 seasons (2005-16) with the San Francisco 49ers. He was an area scout for the Seattle Seahawks from 2000-04 and for the Carolina Panthers in 1999. Malaspina also spent time with National Football Scouting in 1998.

Sam Seale heads into his 23rd season scouting college players for the Packers. The former nine-year NFL veteran has been promoted to national scout after primarily focusing on the West region. Seale was recognized as the NFC Scout of the Year at the Fritz Pollard Alliance Meeting, which took place during the 2017 NFL Scouting Combine.

Chad Brinker, who is entering his ninth season with the Packers’ pro personnel department, has been promoted to assistant director of pro scouting/salary cap analyst. He first joined Green Bay as a scouting assistant in 2010 and was promoted to pro scout in 2012. Brinker spent a brief time as a running back with the New York Jets in 2013 and played for the Cologne Centurions of NFL Europe in 2004.

Pat Moore joins the Packers as a college scout after spending five seasons as a scout for the Cleveland Browns. Prior to his stint in Cleveland, he was on the coaching staff at Fordham University for five seasons, serving as assistant head coach/offensive line (2010-11), defensive coordinator (2009) and linebackers/special teams coach (2007-08). Moore also held collegiate coaching positions at Louisiana Tech (2005-06), Auburn (2002-04), Western Carolina (2000-01) and at his alma mater, Illinois Wesleyan (1997).

Luke Benuska (ben-EW-ska), who joined the Packers as a scouting intern in 2016, has been promoted to college scout after serving as a pro scout last season. Prior to joining Green Bay, he worked in the football recruiting office at his alma mater, Texas Christian University, in 2016.

Brandian (Brandon) Ross, who joined the Packers’ personnel department as a scouting assistant last season, has been promoted to college scout. The former defensive back originally signed with Green Bay as an undrafted free agent in 2011 and spent time on the Packers’ practice squad during the 2011-12 seasons. From 2012-15, Ross played in 45 games with 24 starts for the Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers and Miami Dolphins.

GREEN BAY PACKERS PLAYER PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT

Brian Gutekunst - General Manager
Ted Thompson - Senior Advisor to Football Operations
Jon-Eric Sullivan - Co-Director of Player Personnel
John Wojciechowski - Co-Director of Player Personnel
Matt Malaspina - Director of College Scouting
Sam Seale - National Scout
Chad Brinker - Assistant Director of Pro Scouting/Salary Cap Analyst
Richmond Williams - Pro Scout
Luke Benuska - College Scout (West)
Joe Hueber - College Scout (Midwest)
Pat Moore - College Scout (Southeast)
Mike Owen - College Scout (Northeast)
Charlie Peprah - College Scout (NFS)
Charles Walls - College Scout (Southwest)
Brandian Ross - College Scout (Midlands)
Danny Mock - College Scouting Coordinator
Autumn Thomas-Beenenga - Pro Personnel Coordinator

Read more: http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-press-release/article-1/Packers-announce-player-personnel-department-changes/169e39a2-1a6e-44dd-826d-00208e2c14b5#ixzz5GWw7KOPl

3 hours ago, St Vince said:

How long has Pep been a scout in this league? I know we loss a couple of good scouts, I hope the replacements can pick up the slack.

Wanted to know too, 

A seven-year NFL veteran as a player, Charlie Peprah enters his second season with the Packers’ player personnel department and first as a college scout in 2017. He joined the team in an official capacity on June 16, 2016, as a scouting assistant before being promoted to his current post in June 2017.

4 hours ago, WB PackerFan said:

In 2016, Peprah was hired by the Green Bay Packers as a scouting assistant. Peprah was promoted to college scout in July 2017

Echo echo echo lol just messing with you

I'm always fascinated by front office moves.

In the past we've always had one Director of Player Personnel and one Director of College Scouting.

This year we got two Directors of Player Personnel. I wonder why we did this? Maybe its because Wolf had a higher title last season as Director of Football Operations and since we don't have one this time round I suspect one of those guys will be taking on Wolf's responsibilities. I believe Ted Thompson's title means nothing, he's just a regular scout now. His title is just there to reflect his status and pay within the organisation that's all.

Assistant Director of Pro Personnel Tim Terry left for Kansas last year which allowed John Wojciechowski to be promoted to his position. Less than a year later he's promoted again to Director of Player personnel. John Wojciechowski wasn't even on the radar with Gute, Wolf, Highsmith, Terry and Thompson all in front of him until things suddenly started falling into place for him within the last year. For most of his career up til 2017 he was a college scout until the opportunity finally presented itself with Terry leaving and within 1 year he's now just one rung below the GM ladder. Woah indeed.

Just looking at our staff history I can totally understand why Terry left. He was stuck in the same role for nearly 9 years! Always as Assistant Director of Pro Personnel. In that time he seen Wolf, Gute and Sullivan gain promotions ahead of him and watched McKenzie, Dorsey, Schneider and Herock leave elsewhere. When Terry left last year the Packers replaced him with long term collge scout Wojciechowski as Director of Pro Personnel - note that there's no Assistant in the title!  That's how much the senior management thought of Terry in those 9 years.

Just one year later in the same role Terry was in, Wojciechowski got what Terry never had - a promotion! That must've totally cheesed off Terry after hearing that news. When Terry left he finally managed to shed the Assistant label and now is just Director of Pro Personnel. Just think...if he had waited one more year with the Packers he might've been Director of Player Personnel by now for us. Bad luck, bad timing.

Chad Brinker is now the new guy as the Assistant Director of Pro Personnel/Salary Cap Analyst for us and somethings tells me he will be stuck there for a while. He's not getting past Ball, Sullivan, Wojciechowski and Malaspina, let alone Gute any time soon. Brinker is very interesting as he has tried many things along the way that led to the role he has today. A former UDFA with the Jets but didn't make it. He has a masters degree in sports administration, he has business experience especially as an account manager and then went into coaching for 1 year before joining the Packers as a scouting assistant and later becoming our Pro Scout. Now his new role takes advantage of his pro scouting experience, his degree and his accounting background in business. A possible long term successor to Russ Ball perhaps?

Matt Malaspina is highly experienced. He spent 5 years as SEC scout under Thompson at Seattle, Moved to 49ers and spent 3 years as National Scout (the same role that Sam Seale is now doing for us) before becoming Director of College Scouting for 4 years. But with front office changes in San Francisco he left and took a step down joining us as the SEC College Scout. It was just for one year and now he's back as Director of College Scouting. Our new guy from Cleveland will take over scouting the SEC. We seem to make outside hires for the SEC region. I think before Malaspina we didn't have a SEC scout for a couple of years (I think Gute used to have that role for a long time before he was promoted) so they obviously felt that their in-house candidates did not have the required knowledge to handle the region so they have made two outside hires in a row.

Due to all the promotions and departures (Seale/Williams/Dotson/Malaspina) our College scouts as a whole is now very inexperienced. We have 4 guys (Peprah, Benuska. Ross and Hueber) in their 1st year as college scouts,  Mike Owen and Charlie Walls are both in their 3rd years and of course our new guy Pat Moore comes in with the most experience with 4 or 5 years scouting the SEC region. 

With the front office set for the next 2-4 years, In the long run if I had to guess, Sullivan is the most likely candidate to leave for a GM job elsewhere. Malaspina would be promoted to replace him leaving the director of college scouting job open.  Between Seale and Moore my money is on Moore getting that position simply because he is likely younger, highly experienced coach AND scout, has a masters degree - probably in business administration and most importantly of all he's Gute's guy as he hired him.

3 hours ago, Chili said:

Due to all the promotions and departures (Seale/Williams/Dotson/Malaspina) our College scouts as a whole is now very inexperienced. We have 4 guys (Peprah, Benuska. Ross and Hueber) in their 1st year as college scouts,  Mike Owen and Charlie Walls are both in their 3rd years and of course our new guy Pat Moore comes in with the most experience with 4 or 5 years scouting the SEC region.

That inexperience is a bad thing short-to-mid-term. When it comes to relations between scouting departments and colleges, the level of access you get can be determined by a scout seniority 'pecking order', with older, more trusted scouts allowed more access. In the longer term fresh blood is good, because you want the lower levels of scouting getting promotions and moving up the ladder over time.

Positions set in concrete for too long are bad as well, they often lead to bad things and a lowering sense of commitment. So everything is a balance between stability/experience/commitment/advancement/replacement.

4 hours ago, Chili said:

I'm always fascinated by front office moves.

In the past we've always had one Director of Player Personnel and one Director of College Scouting.

This year we got two Directors of Player Personnel. I wonder why we did this? Maybe its because Wolf had a higher title last season as Director of Football Operations and since we don't have one this time round I suspect one of those guys will be taking on Wolf's responsibilities. I believe Ted Thompson's title means nothing, he's just a regular scout now. His title is just there to reflect his status and pay within the organisation that's all.

Assistant Director of Pro Personnel Tim Terry left for Kansas last year which allowed John Wojciechowski to be promoted to his position. Less than a year later he's promoted again to Director of Player personnel. John Wojciechowski wasn't even on the radar with Gute, Wolf, Highsmith, Terry and Thompson all in front of him until things suddenly started falling into place for him within the last year. For most of his career up til 2017 he was a college scout until the opportunity finally presented itself with Terry leaving and within 1 year he's now just one rung below the GM ladder. Woah indeed.

Just looking at our staff history I can totally understand why Terry left. He was stuck in the same role for nearly 9 years! Always as Assistant Director of Pro Personnel. In that time he seen Wolf, Gute and Sullivan gain promotions ahead of him and watched McKenzie, Dorsey, Schneider and Herock leave elsewhere. When Terry left last year the Packers replaced him with long term collge scout Wojciechowski as Director of Pro Personnel - note that there's no Assistant in the title!  That's how much the senior management thought of Terry in those 9 years.

Just one year later in the same role Terry was in, Wojciechowski got what Terry never had - a promotion! That must've totally cheesed off Terry after hearing that news. When Terry left he finally managed to shed the Assistant label and now is just Director of Pro Personnel. Just think...if he had waited one more year with the Packers he might've been Director of Player Personnel by now for us. Bad luck, bad timing.

Due to all the promotions and departures (Seale/Williams/Dotson/Malaspina) our College scouts as a whole is now very inexperienced.

With the front office set for the next 2-4 years, In the long run if I had to guess, Sullivan is the most likely candidate to leave for a GM job elsewhere. Malaspina would be promoted to replace him leaving the director of college scouting job open.  

That is some serious Kremlinology! Aren’t you the guy with an inside source?

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

That inexperience is a bad thing short-to-mid-term. When it comes to relations between scouting departments and colleges, the level of access you get can be determined by a scout seniority 'pecking order', with older, more trusted scouts allowed more access. In the longer term fresh blood is good, because you want the lower levels of scouting getting promotions and moving up the ladder over time.

Positions set in concrete for too long are bad as well, they often lead to bad things and a lowering sense of commitment. So everything is a balance between stability/experience/commitment/advancement/replacement.

Its not the end of the world as we still got extremely experienced senior scouts within the organisation that can lean on college teams to help out their college scouts. Thompson. Gute, Sullivan, Wojciechowski, Malaspina and Seale has tons of experience and contacts between them to overcome the lack of experience in the short-medium term.

44 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

That is some serious Kremlinology! Aren’t you the guy with an inside source?

Lol hardly. Just reading the bios and our staff history to see how it all shook out for us.

I wish I was an insider, its hard to be when i'm thousand of miles away from Green Bay. xD

On 5/26/2018 at 5:38 PM, Chili said:

Its not the end of the world as we still got extremely experienced senior scouts within the organisation that can lean on college teams to help out their college scouts. Thompson. Gute, Sullivan, Wojciechowski, Malaspina and Seale has tons of experience and contacts between them to overcome the lack of experience in the short-medium term.

I had some reservations about the lack of experience among the front office when the exodus for CLE occurred but after watching how free agency and the draft went down I am more than confident.

Archived