good humour

3rivers

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000934480/article/landry-jones-would-love-to-replicate-nick-foles-title-run

That's obviously not in the plans for anyone but Jones, as no one wants to wish injury upon anyone. The preparation is key, though, especially for a veteran who might not be around for much longer. After all, it won Foles a ring.

Foles didn't win on his own, but NFL.com wants fans that think this way I suppose.  If the D didn't make that play, we would be hearing about BB and Brady all over again.  

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Landry Jones made the mistake of thinking he is even close to as good as Foles or good enough to win in the playoffs cuz we have already seen that he isnt.

I don't know how nfl.com makes these stories or entices their crew to fabricate them.  Foles was playing at a very high level for quite a while. I can't recall Jones doing that against playoff teams . Jones has been a decent back up and said to be a good teammate but this comparison is out of nowhere.

Landry Jones and Nick Foles are very very similar players...in college.  Both were dump-off artists.  Foles has progressed to a better intermediate passer.  I've not seen enough of Jones to say the same.

Since Ben escaped IR all those years  we had OL problems, what if for some reason this year he did get hurt and missed many games or was even placed on IR? This is where the D and Bell need to takeover, but the D have doubts about. 

I remember several posts about this in the past. I remember a few points that 43Mafia made when Landry was getting criticized.

Truthfully, Landry is about what you expect from a back-up.  While we would like to believe that every back-up should be ready to perform like the mystical and imaginary QB (Warren Beatty portrayed in Heaven Can Wait) for those who are old enough to remember the movie, that just isn't realistic.

Back-ups rarely get first team reps and there are not large enough rosters and practice time to get and keep a QB practice ready after training camp and the pre-season.  Landry has not lit it up all the time, but considering what he has had to work with and through, he has not done a bad job.  Is he ready for prime time? Can he come in and there be no drop-off from Big Ben? No!  In fact, Nick Foles had his struggles as well with the Eagles in a few games after replacing Carson Wentz. He struggled with t he offense against the Falcons in the play-offs as well before catching fire against the Vikings and Patriots.  It is a great story that we all love to see.  In fact, Foles seems like a really nice guy and a decent person, so all the better. However, it just doesn't happen that often with the fact you can't get practice reps, timing, and coaching necessary to keep your back-up game ready.

I don't think anyone believes that Landry Jones is as good a QB as Michael Vick ever was.  Vick had some struggles in 2016, but his issues were that he didn't get a lot of practice and timing with the first team or in our offense moreso than eroding skills.  In fact one of AB's drops that season was a TD pass from Vick. AB just doesn't drop many balls. Period!  The fact that he was catching a ball from a lefty that spins differently, etc (no excuse just an explanation) was a bigger factor in that drop and missed opportunity than it was a fluke in my opinion.

I have been hard on Landry a times and have wished that they would sign and develop a veteran with more "potential."  The truth is that he has been in our system, has improved each year, and he was not a first round QB talent, so it is taking some years to develop.  Do I believe Landry will ever be a starting caliber QB? Probably not, but I do believe that he can be a better than average back-up for us because he has gotten some reps and familiarity in our offense.  

I don't believe that back-ups will get to develop until the NFL changes some things with their roster size and ability to allow players to develop.

Archived