Jimmy Graham and Tight End Alignment

AlexGreen#20

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

No he said that Burnett equaled Graham + Wilk

Holy ******* ****. It was me and I called you out by saying it was Burnett for Wilk not Jordy for both Graham and Wilk. In what world do you live in where Jordy was ever making even as much as Graham much less Graham plus Wilk. I know you know how contracts and option years work so I figured you were just intentionally being dense to prove a point.

4 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Or they could have kept him for around 5 and then knew how they needed to structure rodgers deal...

I hope I'm wrong but I think this is gonna be a mistake, not a season destroyer or anything but not good.

Does keeping Nelson lessen the chances of GB landing one of the younger WR they were reported to be pursuing?   Robinson, Watkins among some potential others.  

Might be harder to attract a FA WR when they see others ahead of them on the depth charts.

Just now, squire12 said:

So what is all the arguing about?  

Nelson was not the player in the last 1/2+ of the season vs earlier in his career.  That seems like a decline to me and what I was able to watch of his play.  The GB staff knows how he looks in practice and how he is moving in drills etc.  I would not find it hard to believe that they were seeing a more sharp decline vs a slow decline.  The rate of player decline (performance or physical ability) can be slow and steady OR fast and sudden.  It can come in all shapes and sizes.  

Maybe Nelson will have an easier time playing in the nicer weather of Cali vs GB in the November/December months of the season.  Only time will tell.

Nobody is arguing he should have stayed at the salary they had him. It's pretty damn obvious Jordy would have taken less to stay. He outright said it. Probably less than he even got from OAK. So we don't need to use what he salary was for the argument, it's not what it would have taken to keep him. That number is irrelevant.

I'm confused how we let Hyde, Hayward, whoever else go and they play well and it's like zomg we are stupid. Jordy leaves "dude sucked, he was toast."

2 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

Holy ******* ****. It was me and I called you out by saying it was Burnett for Wilk not Jordy for both Graham and Wilk. In what world do you live in where Jordy was ever making even as much as Graham much less Graham plus Wilk. I know you know how contracts and option years work so I figured you were just intentionally being dense to prove a point.

Their cap hits equal out this year, everything I said was right.

Also can you communicate on here without constantly swearing? It's really not hard. 

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I'm confused how we let Hyde, Hayward, whoever else go and they play well and it's like zomg we are stupid. Jordy leaves "dude sucked, he was toast."

Players coming off rookie contracts in their mid 20's vs a player in his early 30's.

It is all speculation as to the amount that Nelson would have stayed in GB for.  No way to prove it was more or less than any dollar amount.  

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Players coming off rookie contracts in their mid 20's vs a player in his early 30's.

It is all speculation as to the amount that Nelson would have stayed in GB for.  No way to prove it was more or less than any dollar amount.  

There's no way to prove it is such an convenient argument. He got 7, I'd bet my left nut he would have taken 5 or 6. IDGAF if I can prove it or not.

2 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

There's no way to prove it is such an convenient argument. He got 7, I'd bet my left nut he would have taken 5 or 6. IDGAF if I can prove it or not.

Sure...I think he might have taken that to stay in GB as well.   High likelihood that the GB front office did not see him as worth a 5 or 6M contract for multiple years (or even 1 year).

28 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Sure...I think he might have taken that to stay in GB as well.   High likelihood that the GB front office did not see him as worth a 5 or 6M contract for multiple years (or even 1 year).

Yeah I know they didn't. I just disagree. I hope they are right. I DO think they thought they had a good plan for what they were gonna land at WR and it wasn't 3 day 3 picks. **** happens and it doesn't always work out, but I have to wonder if they are going welp, maybe we should have been more patient there at some point (before the draft).

59 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Yeah I know they didn't. I just disagree. I hope they are right. I DO think they thought they had a good plan for what they were gonna land at WR and it wasn't 3 day 3 picks. **** happens and it doesn't always work out, but I have to wonder if they are going welp, maybe we should have been more patient there at some point (before the draft).

I think having a group of Nelson, Cobb and Adams in the fold would make it that much harder to sign a FA WR if the view is that you are competing with those 3 for snaps....with a QB that takes some time to gain the trust of.  

Moving Nelson (or Cobb) makes it appear that the FA WR would have a "legit" shot of seeing some decent targets in 2018 and then have an even larger role in 2019+.  I am never surprised when FA go where the ability to get "easy" playing time is.  Yes they are competitors and thrive on that, but they are also looking for the path of least resistance to gain those opportunities.  

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I think having a group of Nelson, Cobb and Adams in the fold would make it that much harder to sign a FA WR if the view is that you are competing with those 3 for snaps....with a QB that takes some time to gain the trust of.  

Moving Nelson (or Cobb) makes it appear that the FA WR would have a "legit" shot of seeing some decent targets in 2018 and then have an even larger role in 2019+.  I am never surprised when FA go where the ability to get "easy" playing time is.  Yes they are competitors and thrive on that, but they are also looking for the path of least resistance to gain those opportunities.  

Well obviously if you are pursuing a FA WR, let's say Robinson, you are telling him all along we are cutting Jordy if you sign here. I assumed that went without saying...

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

I am never surprised when FA go where the ability to get "easy" playing time is.  Yes they are competitors and thrive on that, but they are also looking for the path of least resistance to gain those opportunities.

Which is a reason why Dez probably would consider GB on the lower end of preferred options. He's spent years as the acclaimed WR1 - the latter time/years when statistically he'd fallen well behind that production.

He wants a short term "prove it" deal - well, coming to GB where the options are many - with a QB who's a history of spreading it around - probably isnt fertile ground to build up the stats that'll warrant some team signing him to a long term deal after 2018.

From our perspective - do we want to get involved with a known "temperamental kinda-guy" who's short term interests could cause him to act up when/if his plans arent going quite to plan. Pure conjecture on my part....but outside his potentially diminished physical skills, thats my greatest concern with Dez : will he act up and become a sideline distraction (?) and is that worth it? 

It is possible that the season wore down his body AND Hundley couldn’t find him. Though he only had 23 yards when Rodgers came back for the Panthers game. Davante did work until the concussion and even the dirt bag Cobb had a nice game. But let’s assume Hundley was the issue, if we take Raymonds analysis on his production coming from the scramble drill, it makes sense his production would drop off, no way is he anywhere near Rodgers on the scramble drill. But as Ray notes, Jordy was limited to this type of game because of his age. I also think if you put the blame at Hundley, then you should consider how a healthy Rodgers would impact Davante’s numbers as well. Just because he produced with Hundley doesn’t mean he wouldn’t have out up better numbers with Rodgers.

People keep comparing prime Jordy to Davante Adams last season to enforce the claim he has never produced as a number 1. Nevermind the fact the leads the NFL in td’s the last two seasons, but his numbers are better than Jordy’s were at this point in his career. But taking Jordy’s best seasons through his whole career and comparing them to Adams four seasons, which were better than Jordy’s first four seasons (Including the legendary 2011 season), is strange IMO. And it is likely Davante was 2concussions away from his first 1000 yard season, in what world is 1,000 yards + 10 td’s not number 1 production?

What I have learned from the debate is that Jordy’s value at this age comes from the scramble drill, maybe that is worth the 5 mil Norm speculates he would have signed for, maybe not. I personally think we will be better but at worst, I think these moves calculate to a wash. That is what the statistical arguments point towards anyways. Either way the WR corps is likely 1 injury away from being in rough waters, definitely screwed if Adams goes down in either scenario. I guess having Jordy would give me peace of mind if anything but I am pretty confident that we have receivers who can ‘find the soft spots’ as good as or nearly as good as Jordy and who can play the scramble drill. I don’t think there is any scenario where we totally regret cutting him but there also isn’t a scenario where having an extra vet like Jordy doesn’t ‘help’ in some way. 

12 hours ago, Jaegybomb said:

His speed dropped off midseason. It's almost like his route tree had to change when our QB couldn't hit a guy 10 yards down field anymore. Now it's the YAC bull**** despite the fact he was 23rd in YAC in 2016.

Cobb and Davante still finished 9th and 14th for WRs in YAC.  Friggin Geronimo and Martellus almost had as much YAC as Jordy, hell Richard Rodgers caught 12 passes and was only behind him by 40 yards.  It's not Hundley's fault Jordy now for whatever reason does a baseball slide after he catches the ball

Archived