Cut up of Preston Smith vs Tyron Smith last year

turtle28

PSmith does pretty well vs TSmith in these cut ups. He gets pressure going against arguably the best LT in the NFL, gets some QB hits and a sack.

I think the thing that jumps out most to me in these clips is that Smith is just as effective or more effective going against TSmith as the other OLBs are going against La’El Collins.

^

HAIL STATE, baby!!!! 

#sec4evar

No idea whether they will be able to keep him via extension, tag, or if he's looking forward to the FA Market soon. Reminded me of this older article I read... is could be the truths? 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/how-much-will-it-cost-redskins-re-sign-preston-smith

Since Smith came into the league in 2015 no other player matches or exceeds his stat line of 20.5 sacks, four forced fumbles, and three interceptions.

Edge rushers get paid to get after the quarterback and make game-changing plays. Smith is going to get paid. The top eight 3-4 OLBs have deals with AAVs of $11.5 million and up (that’s Ryan Kerrigan at No. 8). Then there is a handful of players around $7 million to $8.5 million, players like Brian Orakpo (24.5 sacks since Smith came into the NFL), Pernell McPhee (14), and Tamba Hali (10, missed 11 games in 2017 due to injury). With the growth in the cap in the years since those three signed it’s perfectly reasonable to think that Smith, who at age 25 is just entering what should be his prime years of his career, could get a deal that pushes $10 million per year.

and as it touches on, there's the contract of Scherff and even Kerrigan to consider too.

Could they or most teams plunk down 13.9 mil for 1 edge rusher + 10 mil (est.) for the other?

They can open up around 11 million, if they elect to move on from both TE1 and TE2 next offseason.

Looks like they saved about 9 mil in 2019 from the QB change alone.

Can save 5 more mil in 2019 if they part ways with CT and McGee (who may be gone soon anyway?)

I doubt Scandrick sees his 2019 contract here, so that's almost another 4 mil.

Probably time to really hope Ryan Anderson blows up.. making Preston Smith more expendable later.

( just some thoughts on a boring Sunday a.m. )

5 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Kerrigan wore Collins out. Smith some really nice bull rushes.

What moves does Kerrigan have? Kerrigan mostly bull rushes, or he drives the OT up the field and then cuts back underneath him. Other than that, I don’t see him do any different moves. They both use their hands well.

Kerrigan did have 2 sacks vs Collins in the first Dallas game but he was shut out when we played in a Dallas.

I was pleasantly surprised with how much pressure Preston got even though he was going against Tyron Smith, one of the NFLs best LTs. Unfortunately you can’t say the same for La’El Collins.

On 5/27/2018 at 2:29 PM, turtle28 said:

What moves does Kerrigan have? Kerrigan mostly bull rushes, or he drives the OT up the field and then cuts back underneath him. Other than that, I don’t see him do any different moves. They both use their hands well.

Kerrigan did have 2 sacks vs Collins in the first Dallas game but he was shut out when we played in a Dallas.

I was pleasantly surprised with how much pressure Preston got even though he was going against Tyron Smith, one of the NFLs best LTs. Unfortunately you can’t say the same for La’El Collins.

It's so weird to see you go out of your way to defend scrubs like McClain and McGee but bash Kerrigan and Norman relentlessly.

On 5/27/2018 at 7:25 AM, turtle28 said:

PSmith does pretty well vs TSmith in these cut ups. He gets pressure going against arguably the best LT in the NFL, gets some QB hits and a sack.

I think the thing that jumps out most to me in these clips is that Smith is just as effective or more effective going against TSmith as the other OLBs are going against La’El Collins.

My admittedly amateur clip by clip analysis:

1. At 0:00 - While Preston Smith is pushing Tyron Smith back (a really bad first step by TSmith puts him off balance (played too upright) and allows PSmith to close the distance on Dak Prescott, it's Ryan Kerrigan's smoking by La'el Collins that causes the quick throw. Very likely, though, PSmith would have forced Prescott to throw sooner as TSmith was almost in Prescott's lap when he released the ball. It looks like Swearinger gets away with a bit of a hold on the running back coming out of the backfield, but I guess that's within five yards of the line of scrimmage?
  2. At 0:05 - Again, Kerrigan beats Collins (looks like a rip move?) to get the sack on Prescott. Possibly Collins thought Witten was going to chip because he went inside first and then tried to recover. TSmith does a much better job of holding his position against PSmith, but does get walked back a bit ... but not enough to really affect the play since Kerrigan's already blown past Collins. No fault of PSmith on that front.
  3. At 0:11 - TSmith locks down PSmith, but Prescott gets the ball out of his hands in about 2-3 seconds on what looks like a deep fade. Not much time for the edge to get there. I cannot tell who is opposite PSmith (I think it's Junior Galette based on the number, but I cannot be sure), but he jumped offsides then got back onsides (maybe, clip doesn't show the flag). As a result, Prescott might have thought he had a free play and just aired it out.
  4. At 0:17 - This looks like maybe an attempt at a screen but PSmith gets up field into Prescott's face in a hurry. TSmith is almost a non-entity in the blocking. It looks like Kerrigan also helps out on a stunt, but this one is mostly PSmith's play blasting through. Looks like the pass was complete though. Not a bad chip by the RB for a guy running a screen; probably does enough to prevent Kerrigan from crunching Prescott.
  5. At 0:22 - Hate to say it, but PSmith gets stoned by TSmith on this one. Again, the ball is out of Prescott's hands in 2-3 seconds, but PSmith is nowhere near the QB. Kerrigan bull rushes Collins back, but Prescott essentially has a clean pocket.
  6. At 0:28 - PSmith uses some outside speed to get past TSmith and runs after Prescott. Only reason he doesn't catch him is that TSmith holds him (and the ref flags him for it, amazingly). Galette (against Collins) was coming inside into Prescott's face which flushed him outside giving him the running lane. Nice diving tackle at Prescott's feet by PSmith stops the scramble at about only three yards (no way PSmith knew the hold was called). Otherwise, it was green field for a good ten yards for Prescott.
  7. At 0:36 - Another quick out. Neither PSmith nor Kerrigan get close Prescott in the 3 seconds (first time Collins vs. Kerrigan goes La'el's way that I've seen). I have no idea who had the short zone on that one, but they were WAY out of place as they go lunging out at the wide receiver.
  8. At 0:44 - Kerrigan makes Collins dance like a rag doll and gets the sack (that was just ugly protection). TSmith keeps PSmith away from the action by a good 3-4 yards.

Need to run, so I don't have time to cover the rest. Sufficed to say, Smith looks good, but I'm not sure he's as great as the lead in to the thread made him sound.

On 5/28/2018 at 6:56 PM, lavar703 said:

It's so weird to see you go out of your way to defend scrubs like McClain and McGee but bash Kerrigan and Norman relentlessly.

So, can you answer the question? I’ve seen posters kill Orakpo while he was here and now Preston Smith for not having a lot of moves, but then Kerrigan gets a pass.

So, I’ll ask again, what moves does Kerrigan display that those ROLBs didn’t/don’t?

45 minutes ago, Woz said:

My admittedly amateur clip by clip analysis:

1. At 0:00 - While Preston Smith is pushing Tyron Smith back (a really bad first step by TSmith puts him off balance (played too upright) and allows PSmith to close the distance on Dak Prescott, it's Ryan Kerrigan's smoking by La'el Collins that causes the quick throw. Very likely, though, PSmith would have forced Prescott to throw sooner as TSmith was almost in Prescott's lap when he released the ball. It looks like Swearinger gets away with a bit of a hold on the running back coming out of the backfield, but I guess that's within five yards of the line of scrimmage?
  2. At 0:05 - Again, Kerrigan beats Collins (looks like a rip move?) to get the sack on Prescott. Possibly Collins thought Witten was going to chip because he went inside first and then tried to recover. TSmith does a much better job of holding his position against PSmith, but does get walked back a bit ... but not enough to really affect the play since Kerrigan's already blown past Collins. No fault of PSmith on that front.
  3. At 0:11 - TSmith locks down PSmith, but Prescott gets the ball out of his hands in about 2-3 seconds on what looks like a deep fade. Not much time for the edge to get there. I cannot tell who is opposite PSmith (I think it's Junior Galette based on the number, but I cannot be sure), but he jumped offsides then got back onsides (maybe, clip doesn't show the flag). As a result, Prescott might have thought he had a free play and just aired it out.
  4. At 0:17 - This looks like maybe an attempt at a screen but PSmith gets up field into Prescott's face in a hurry. TSmith is almost a non-entity in the blocking. It looks like Kerrigan also helps out on a stunt, but this one is mostly PSmith's play blasting through. Looks like the pass was complete though. Not a bad chip by the RB for a guy running a screen; probably does enough to prevent Kerrigan from crunching Prescott.
  5. At 0:22 - Hate to say it, but PSmith gets stoned by TSmith on this one. Again, the ball is out of Prescott's hands in 2-3 seconds, but PSmith is nowhere near the QB. Kerrigan bull rushes Collins back, but Prescott essentially has a clean pocket.
  6. At 0:28 - PSmith uses some outside speed to get past TSmith and runs after Prescott. Only reason he doesn't catch him is that TSmith holds him (and the ref flags him for it, amazingly). Galette (against Collins) was coming inside into Prescott's face which flushed him outside giving him the running lane. Nice diving tackle at Prescott's feet by PSmith stops the scramble at about only three yards (no way PSmith knew the hold was called). Otherwise, it was green field for a good ten yards for Prescott.
  7. At 0:36 - Another quick out. Neither PSmith nor Kerrigan get close Prescott in the 3 seconds (first time Collins vs. Kerrigan goes La'el's way that I've seen). I have no idea who had the short zone on that one, but they were WAY out of place as they go lunging out at the wide receiver.
  8. At 0:44 - Kerrigan makes Collins dance like a rag doll and gets the sack (that was just ugly protection). TSmith keeps PSmith away from the action by a good 3-4 yards.

Need to run, so I don't have time to cover the rest. Sufficed to say, Smith looks good, but I'm not sure he's as great as the lead in to the thread made him sound.

The only reason I said he did pretty well and seemed to do as well as Kerrigan and Galette did against Collins is because Tyron Smith is an All-Pro LT. So given the competition it’s hard to not be pleased with Smith getting some pressures and I believe one sack - in the game at Dallas - vs the All-Pro LT TSmith.

I’m pretty sure I made that clear in my OP. It wasn’t that PSmith looked amazing, it’s that he looked better than I thought he would against TSmith.

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The only reason I said he did pretty well and seemed to do as well as Kerrigan and Galette did against Collins is because Tyron Smith is an All-Pro LT. So given the competition it’s hard to not be pleased with Smith getting some pressures and I believe one sack - in the game at Dallas - vs the All-Pro LT TSmith.

I’m pretty sure I made that clear in my OP. It wasn’t that PSmith looked amazing, it’s that he looked better than I thought he would against TSmith.

Fair enough. Just was what I was noticing from both ends when I stopped and watched the clips repeatedly.

The other thing I noticed: the pocket almost never collapsed from the middle (the exception being the possible screen pass by PSmith). It always came with outside pressure.

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

So, can you answer the question? I’ve seen posters kill Orakpo while he was here and now Preston Smith for not having a lot of moves, but then Kerrigan gets a pass.

So, I’ll ask again, what moves does Kerrigan display that those ROLBs didn’t/don’t?

Admittedly it was against inferior talent, but he was showing speed rushes, bull rushes, and rips against Collins in the clips; also saw the stunt from Kerrigan. Didn't see either gentleman do any swims or spins, though.

Archived