Jump to content
diamondbull424

Consensus Top 5 Ravens Corners

Best Corners in Ravens history  

18 members have voted

  1. 1. Best Ravens corner of all time

    • Chris McAlister
    • Jimmy Smith
      0
    • Lardarius Webb
      0
  2. 2. Second Best Corner

    • Chris McAlister
      0
    • Lardarius Webb
    • Jimmy Smith
  3. 3. Third Best Corner

    • Chris McAlister
      0
    • Lardarius Webb
    • Jimmy Smith


Recommended Posts

That Ed Reed though.

... and Uber dude might’ve been the greatest thing to happen to Humphrey. Maybe it made him that much more hungry to perform so he can buy his own top of the line car charger.??

But yeah, I can’t wait to see what Humphrey is able to do this season. He’s definitely not going to be the one to test. Humphrey has a legitimate chance to become our best corner of all time. I wonder where he’ll finish in the rankings when it’s all said and done:

1. Chris McAlister

2. Lardarius Webb

3. Jimmy Smith

4. Duane Starks

5. Chris Carr

...

1027. Corey Ivy/Frank Walker ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Smith is better than Webb.

I disagree. I don’t think Smith has surpassed Webb yet. Webb in his prime was a top 5-10 LCB and an elite nickel corner. He also was a better tackler and playmaker.

Smith’s 2017 was better than any year Webb had, but Webb has had more high level seasons and was more versatile. Another 2017 type season would’ve elevated Smith IMO, but it’s close enough that I’ll give the edge to the more versatile player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

That Ed Reed though.

... and Uber dude might’ve been the greatest thing to happen to Humphrey. Maybe it made him that much more hungry to perform so he can buy his own top of the line car charger.??

But yeah, I can’t wait to see what Humphrey is able to do this season. He’s definitely not going to be the one to test. Humphrey has a legitimate chance to become our best corner of all time. I wonder where he’ll finish in the rankings when it’s all said and done:

1. Chris McAlister

2. Lardarius Webb

3. Jimmy Smith

4. Duane Starks

5. Chris Carr

...

1027. Corey Ivy/Frank Walker ?

 

6 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Smith is better than Webb.

Also, Chris Carr listed above Gary Baxter and Samari Rolle is flat out disrespectful. 

Glad to see Starks get some love. He's an underrated raven imo, likely due to him busting as a FA (we couldn't keep him as we were headed to cap hell). He had 20 picks in his first 4 seasons. Only 70 players have done that and 53 of them started their career before 1980. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Also, Chris Carr listed above Gary Baxter and Samari Rolle is flat out disrespectful. 

Glad to see Starks get some love. He's an underrated raven imo, likely due to him busting as a FA (we couldn't keep him as we were headed to cap hell). He had 20 picks in his first 4 seasons. Only 70 players have done that and 53 of them started their career before 1980. 

Honestly completely forgot about Baxter. Probably because he went to the Browns. But I would definitely put him above Carr.

Wasnt a Samari Rolle fan. He was the weak spot of those mid-2000s defenses (well that and Corey Ivy). He constantly played 10 yards off the ball and got toasted underneath. He was much better with the Titans, he was highly overrated IMO. Carr was a competitor, versatile in that he could do inside/outside duties and the better tackler. Carr never got abused like Rolle.

edit: the list wasn’t meant to be serious... was honestly going to just do top 3 (because that’s easy) and have Ivy and Walker at 4 and 5 for the lulz.

Edited by diamondbull424

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2018 at 3:03 AM, diamondbull424 said:

I disagree. I don’t think Smith has surpassed Webb yet. Webb in his prime was a top 5-10 LCB and an elite nickel corner. He also was a better tackler and playmaker.

Smith’s 2017 was better than any year Webb had, but Webb has had more high level seasons and was more versatile. Another 2017 type season would’ve elevated Smith IMO, but it’s close enough that I’ll give the edge to the more versatile player.

I disagree with your disagreeing. 

Webb's 2011 season was way better than any season Smith had. It was that outstanding. Don't have the numbers handy, but I remember that by the metrics (like opposing passer rating allowed, yards/coverage snap) it was one of the best seasons by a cornerback since the relevant numbers have been counted. (though not the best that year since Revis just happened to have one of his greatest season the same year). AND he was even better in the playoffs. He allowed 0 TDs to 8 interceptions, 25 passes defended in 18 games, along with way more involvement as a tackler than another corner.

 

Edited by wackywabbit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So in order to know where Marlon Humphrey might end up on this list, first we probably should determine the list. Who are the top 5 corners in Ravens history. In what order would you rank them and what makes you rank x player above others. What separates them?

Also mods, if you want to carry over the conversations from the other thread into here that would be great.

In terms of the poll, I will grade the players based off of:

1st place = 3 points

2nd place = 2 points

3rd place = 1 point

Edited by diamondbull424

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this on Webb's 2011,

From Ken McKusick's review/analysis of our secondary during the 2011 season-

 

"From that point, the Ravens had a series of positive events like none I have ever witnessed. 

In decreasing order of importance:

·         Webb went on to become one of the best corners in the game"

 

Lardarius Webb

2011 Role:  Starting LCB who moves to cover the slot in the nickel (1047 snaps, 94%). 

What was there to like about his season?  Just about everything.  He led the NFL in interceptions (8, including post season) and interceptions per game, did not allow a single TD pass to his coverage assignment, and opposing QBs had an NFL low 42.0 QB rating throwing to his assignment (source: PFF).  All of those numbers were better than Revis.

When did he play best?  He had 2 interceptions in the divisional game versus Houston and did his part to keep Andre Johnson in check.

When did he play poorly?  He didn’t have any particularly bad outings, but in the game against San Diego he played just 13 snaps on which the Chargers averaged 15.1 YPPA. 

What was his signature play of 2011?  His diving INT in week 11 vs. the Bengals was reminiscent of Ed Reed.  Playing a little soft, he out dove Caldwell to the outside to collect the football.  Recalling the 2009 draft, Mel Kiper had difficulty containing his excitement for the Ravens selection of Webb in the 3rd round.  His immediate comment was “think Ed Reed…”  After 2 years interrupted by the 2009 special teams injury against the Bears, Webb is fulfilling that promise.

What does he need to do better?  Other than get off the field for special teams, I don’t think there is anything Lardarius needs to do better.  The Ravens defensive coaching staff will probably be tempted to make Webb learn better technique to complement his make-up speed and make-up athleticism.  In so doing, it is to be hoped that they do not put him in shackles that reduce his effectiveness.  Rod Carew had an unorthodox stance and the Twins were smart not to mess with it.

Grades:  Play A, Value A+, Developmental A.  After Suggs, he was the Ravens 2nd most valuable defensive player in 2011.  He’ll get a big contract either this season or next and I’m sure the Ravens won’t let him get away.  With luck, he’ll follow in the footsteps of the team’s other defensive greats and play the bulk, if not all, of his career in purple.

https://russellstreetreport.com/2012/03/28/filmstudy/filmstudy-2011-season-defensive-personnel-analysissecondary/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't a Ravens fan back when McAlister was around, so I'd be voting on him purely based on reputation.

I am in the Jimmy Smith > Lardarius Webb camp though for 2nd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Also mods, if you want to carry over the conversations from the other thread into here that would be great.

Done, but unfortunately I can't re-order the posts to make the original post the OP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is there any pro-Jimmy Smith arguments as to why he’s better than Lardarius Webb? Both are very injury prone players, which is why I would put Chris McAlister ahead of them (talent wise, he’s arguably the worst of the bunch in “lockdown coverage” though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because Jimmy is still an elite shutdown corner even after his injuries. Webb lost mostly everything after his second ACL tear. I mean, he stuck around and played in different spots but he wasn't ever even close to the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who didn't watch McAlister in his prime, he was a very opportunistic and confident cornerback who was really great at attacking the ball in the air. He was also as quite efficient tackler. Compared to Jimmy Smith and Webb in some regard, McAlister did benefit from really good defenses compared to the ones Jimmy and Webb has been a part off.

I maybe remember the past in a better light, but I somehow feel McAlister had a better career with us, while Jimmy and Webb has been hubbled by way too many injuries.

In the same way, I would rate Jarrett Johnson (McAlister) above Adalius Thomas (Webb) although Thomas had a shorter but a much higher peak in production.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

So is there any pro-Jimmy Smith arguments as to why he’s better than Lardarius Webb? Both are very injury prone players, which is why I would put Chris McAlister ahead of them (talent wise, he’s arguably the worst of the bunch in “lockdown coverage” though.

Jimmy's peak was higher than Webb's. Even at Webb's peak, he wasn't putting up the numbers Jimmy currently is.

I will say Webb has had a better career though, because likely in a couple of years Jimmy's gonna be outright released because of injuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Jimmy's peak was higher than Webb's. Even at Webb's peak, he wasn't putting up the numbers Jimmy currently is.

I will say Webb has had a better career though, because likely in a couple of years Jimmy's gonna be outright released because of injuries.

Well, to be fair 2019 is the last year of Smith's contract. And he will be 32 going into the 2020 season. I think something will be done with his contract next offseason though. There's a lot of room to open up cap space ($9.5 million if released) and the Ravens always need more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×