Most complete back in NFL history

Kiwibrown

On 6/14/2018 at 12:09 AM, BleedTheClock said:

I'd like to think you're joking, but knowing how hard Saints fans have been gargling this dude, it wouldn't surprise me if this were a real take.

Jim Brown>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Walter Payton.

How is Jim Brown a more complete back than Payton? Much less THAT MUCH more complete?

On 6/14/2018 at 6:45 PM, warfelg said:

For me it's a pair of Chicago backs:

Gale Sayers and Walter Payton.  I never got to see either play, but my step-dad says Payton was one of the best he's ever seen.  My step-grandfather said that Sayers was unbelievable.  Would be at one place one moment and almost teleport to a whole other place.  Could create his own hole to go through.  Could be surrounded by 5 guys and manage to escape without being touched.

Sayers had a fluidity to his running that is best compared to the way Randy Moss ran with the ball.

People often compare Sayers to Barry Sanders but there running style wasn't the same. Barry's much lower center of gravity allowed him to run full speed, full stop on a dime, then be back to full speed again in a second. Sayers just seemed to flow around and past players like Moss did. Sayers also had an underrated power game, especially for a guy his size at around 200 lbs but it was nothing compared to Payton's. 

9 hours ago, khaosoy said:

Sayers had a fluidity to his running that is best compared to the way Randy Moss ran with the ball.

People often compare Sayers to Barry Sanders but there running style wasn't the same. Barry's much lower center of gravity allowed him to run full speed, full stop on a dime, then be back to full speed again in a second. Sayers just seemed to flow around and past players like Moss did. Sayers also had an underrated power game, especially for a guy his size at around 200 lbs but it was nothing compared to Payton's. 

We also have to remember Sayers had the disadvantage of not playing on artificial turf for nearly his entire career. In addition, the quality of those natural grass fields in the 1960s, wasn't the same as the 1990s. Sayers was forced to use more of a power game after the knee injuries took their toll, but prior to that, he was incredible. Better than Randy Moss in the open field, and unlike Barry Sanders, Sayers was rarely caught from behind.        

12 hours ago, khaosoy said:

The thing that always impressed me the most about Payton and Sanders is that they both played with such amazing balance and with such low centers of gravity. They were both so tough to knock off their feet.

I’ve seen Edgerrin James, Clinton Portis, and Willis McGahee mentioned in this thread and people blaming knee injuries on players not fulfilling their potential. I think among active RBs Frank Gore has shown to be the most complete with his blocking, running, receiving, and longevity. Gore overcame two major knee injuries in college and had a more productive career than any of the other backs from the U. Not saying he is the most complete ever, but hearing some of these guys mentioned and Gore left out bothered me. One of the best backs in pass protection I can remember watching which I think gets missed.

On June 4, 2018 at 10:11 AM, LaserFocus said:

No doubt Brown was a gifted, durable, hardworking back, who is still deserving in the RB GOAT discussion. But I still have to go with Payton as the more versatile, complete back. Even with a great RB, blocking matters in this discussion. Brown just wasn't a willing blocker, despite his size and strength, and the fact defensive players were lighter in the 50s and 60s. The Browns weren't going to press the issue with him, but the lack of effort in this area was strange. By contrast, Payton blocked well, and this was against the heavier defenders of the 70s and 80s.   

This is actually probably the best argument that I've seen for Payton over Brown. I still will go with Brown...but I can see how it's a good argument. Much like I would go with Randy Moss over any WR not named Rice. I don't care if he didn't block and/or didn't play to his potential and/or wasn't the best teammate. The dude was a phenom...and when someone is THAT much better than their peers I take it seriously. 

On 6/16/2018 at 10:33 PM, Gore Whore 21 said:

I’ve seen Edgerrin James, Clinton Portis, and Willis McGahee mentioned in this thread and people blaming knee injuries on players not fulfilling their potential. I think among active RBs Frank Gore has shown to be the most complete with his blocking, running, receiving, and longevity. Gore overcame two major knee injuries in college and had a more productive career than any of the other backs from the U. Not saying he is the most complete ever, but hearing some of these guys mentioned and Gore left out bothered me. One of the best backs in pass protection I can remember watching which I think gets missed.

*checks username*

On 6/16/2018 at 10:33 PM, Gore Whore 21 said:

Gore has never been Elite though. Just consistently solid-good.

4 hours ago, Danger said:

Gore has never been Elite though. Just consistently solid-good.

I’m not saying he’s the most complete back in NFL history by any means, and I pointed that out in my post, I’m just saying it is criminal to mention guys like James, McGahee, and Portis without Gore even getting a look. He was the best back to come out of that Miami backfield and I would say the most well rounded. I also think his 2006 season was elite on a team with not much talent around him. Again, not claiming he was the most complete back ever, just that he deserves mention over guys like the other dudes from Miami. Also I created this account 12 years ago when I was 16, but Frank will forever be one of my favorites.

21 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I’m not saying he’s the most complete back in NFL history by any means, and I pointed that out in my post, I’m just saying it is criminal to mention guys like James, McGahee, and Portis without Gore even getting a look. He was the best back to come out of that Miami backfield and I would say the most well rounded. I also think his 2006 season was elite on a team with not much talent around him. Again, not claiming he was the most complete back ever, just that he deserves mention over guys like the other dudes from Miami. Also I created this account 12 years ago when I was 16, but Frank will forever be one of my favorites.

Frank Gore. He will always be an Eagle deep down. His time with us was way too short.

Archived