Most complete back in NFL history

Kiwibrown

For those that don't know, Walter Payton was LT with legitimate, "drop the shoulder" power. He had power, straight line speed, wiggle, balance and vision. He could run, catch, block, throw and, if needed, even punt. Dude really was the total package in terms of running backs. 

LT was as well. But I think Payton had him in the power department, so I lean a touch more towards Payton.

12 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Did Lt have power though?

When I think "complete back" I think effective runner + pass catcher, how they do it is secondary. LT had 9 seasons with 50+ receptions on top of his running acumen.

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

He's also only 23 years old and was stuck playing for Jeff Fisher prior to that last year.

Yah that's kind of the point

12 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Did Lt have power though?

I reckon so. You ever noticed LeVeon in contact? Seems like it's deceptively hard to get him down, and he's very good at launching people off him, despite not looking like he's trying that hard. LT had a bit of that. Deceptive strength and power. 

The lack of Barry Sanders in here saddens me. 

Everybody remembers how elusive he was, but forget how many tackles he broke out of, and what he could do as a receiver. Did he have Okoye/Peyton/Alstott power? No, but very few do. He didn't flatten people, but he also didn't let them bring him down, and he could move a pile. He could also catch when they actually threw him the ball.

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

I can't really comment intelligently on pre-2000s players tbh, and many other fellow posters probably fall under the same umbrella.

But you have people tossing in votes for Jim Brown...

Barry slipped my mind, forgot how dangerous he was in the passing game.

2 hours ago, MrDrew said:

The lack of Barry Sanders in here saddens me. 

Everybody remembers how elusive he was, but forget how many tackles he broke out of, and what he could do as a receiver. Did he have Okoye/Peyton/Alstott power? No, but very few do. He didn't flatten people, but he also didn't let them bring him down, and he could move a pile. He could also catch when they actually threw him the ball.

Apprantley Sanders wasn't that good as a receiver, and had lackluster hands. Which is why he wasn't thrown to much in Detroit. His former teammate Erik Krammer said that there is a reason you don't see many highlights of him as a receiver. Not his wheelhouse. 

Archived