Which team improved the most over the offseason? *On Paper

Humble_Beast

People are sleeping but are the Raiders the most improve team over the offseason?

• Keep the core: Carr, Cooper, Mack, and the interior of the offensive line
  • Added a legendary coach, replaced a lousy coach in Del Rio
  • Team weakness: DT and  CB adressed. Added maybe the best DT in the draft Maurice Hurst, and a small school freak in PJ Hall. Added Darryl Worley and Rashan Melvin who have thrive as starters on Carolina and Colts. Nick Nelson could have been a day 2 pick without injury. Plus former high picks will play this year in Conely and Obi in their secondary
  • Added the best LT in the draft in Kolton Miller and added another potential starting RT in Brandon Parker
  • Rid of all the divas and bad characters: Crabtree, King, Aldon
  • Wideouts dropped too many passes, brought in Bryant (Steelers), Jordy Nelson, and Ryan Switzer
  • Arden Key is a boom or bust but if he booms, Mack and Key will be lethal
  • Derrik Johnson provides stability as the new defensive leader
  • Tahir Whitehead improves the talent level at LB, Michael Gilchrist does same for Safety spot
  • Picked up the best kicker in the draft, and a top punter

People laugh at the Hackenberg, Wright, and Leon Hall moves but Gruden made a lot of moves. Those guys are unlikely to make the team

I think it's between the Bears and Rams.

I really like what the Bears did on offense drafting Daniels C and Miller WR, and signing ARob and Burton. 

I also like what the Rams did to complete their team. Traded for Marcus Peters and Talib CBs and resigned Robey-Coleman, and traded for Cooks WR. They also signed Suh to pair with Donald.

No silver & black shades here...

57 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Keep the core: Carr, Cooper, Mack, and the interior of the offensive line

You can probably do this bit with every team in the league. Most teams kept their good players.

• Added a legendary coach, replaced a lousy coach in Del Rio

"Legendary"...?

• Team weakness: DT and  CB adressed. Added maybe the best DT in the draft Maurice Hurst, and a small school freak in PJ Hall. Added Darryl Worley and Rashan Melvin who have thrive as starters on Carolina and Colts. Nick Nelson could have been a day 2 pick without injury. Plus former high picks will play this year in Conely and Obi in their secondary

I love Hurst, but Worley and Nelson really aren't special. Haven't really watched much of the Colts, but he's had one year as a starting caliber CB (sound familiar for the Raiders?). 

• Added the best LT in the draft in Kolton Miller and added another potential starting RT in Brandon Parker

We're using Kolton Miller @ 15 overall as a positive?

• Rid of all the divas and bad characters: Crabtree, King, Aldon

So Bryant isn't a diva?

• Wideouts dropped too many passes, brought in Bryant (Steelers), Jordy Nelson, and Ryan Switzer

So to fix the drops, you bring in a guy who barely played his rookie season, a guy who is known to bring inconsistent effort, and a veteran who may be on his last legs? Meanwhile, you keep the two guys with perhaps the biggest drop issues (Cook/Cooper)?

• Arden Key is a boom or bust but if he booms, Mack and Key will be lethal

No arguments there - just don't see Key being a good player at this point.

• Derrik Johnson provides stability as the new defensive leader

A leader, yeah. He's lost steps, though. He's not a notable upgrade over Bowman IYAM.

• Tahir Whitehead improves the talent level at LB, Michael Gilchrist does same for Safety spot

Whitehead, yes. Gilchrist is a JAG.

---

On paper, you have to go with the Browns, the Bears, or the Rams. 

This off-season is reminiscent of a Dan Snyder/Redskins off-season. Signing a bunch of aged vets who might have little left, sign a big named coach who hasn't done anything in a decade...

I don't see anything that would lead me to think they're anything more than an 8-8 team. That's an improvement over last year, but not exactly some off-season that'll get banners raised.

Has to be the Browns imo. They've added: 

Tyrod Taylor

Baker Mayfield 

Jarvis Landry

Antonio Callaway

Carlos Hyde

Nick Chubb

Austin Corbett

Chris Hubbard 

Denzel Ward

Damarius Randall 

EJ Gaines 

Genard Avery

Thats just off the top of my head. Alot of talent there. Should be MUCH improved.

Denver has a chance to be up there.

I am not too high on Keenum, but if he can be solid, then the offense could be much improved. They added two rookie WR's in Sutton and Hamilton that could make an immediate impact, a starting RB in Royce Freeman, and a new KR in Phillip Lindsay. Also, they did get TE Jake Butt back (who has good potential).

Defensively, the line is solid, and they added three LB's that could contribute right away in Chubb (who should start across from Von Miller), Josey Jewell, and Jeff Holland. Also, I am seeing some good comments on Isaac Yiadom, the CB they drafted from BC. And, they added Su'a Cravens, a sub-package LB-S that is good in coverage.

Archived