Which team improved the most over the offseason? *On Paper

Humble_Beast

On 5/30/2018 at 11:05 AM, Scout said:

Gruden sucks. He paid a bunch of guys who were good 3 years ago and reached on practically every draft choice outside of huge gambles in Arden Key and Mo Hurst. 

Your overall assessment of the moves isn't completely skewed, or wacky, although I think you're putting way too much weight into the whining of football talking heads regarding Miller being taken 10-20 picks "too soon". That doesn't mean Gruden sucks, though. It means he has a plan, and wants to change the locker room culture, while building to truly compete in a year or two.

8 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Keep telling yourself that. 

Watt has missed 24 games the last two years and wasn’t even productive in the 8 games he did play in. He isn’t even half the player he use to be. He is the highest paid player on the team as of now and I will be surprised if he is on the Texans after this season.

I like Mercilus and if the Texans were smart, they would get rid of Watt and sign Clowney/Mercilus long term.

Watson has played 7 games in the NFL. He hasn’t proven anything. 

3 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Watt has missed 24 games the last two years and wasn’t even productive in the 8 games he did play in. He isn’t even half the player he use to be

Kinda said the same things about Jadevion Clowney after his first two seasons. How's that working out now?

3 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Watson has played 7 games in the NFL. He hasn’t proven anything. 

In those seven games (6.5, actually) he led the NFL in TD passes and the Texans were the highest scoring offense in the NFL. Nonetheless, even if he didn't prove anything by your standards, he proved to be a significant upgrade over Tom Savage - which was kind of the whole point to my comment.

12 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Kinda said the same things about Jadevion Clowney after his first two seasons. How's that working out now?

In those seven games (6.5, actually) he led the NFL in TD passes and the Texans were the highest scoring offense in the NFL. Nonetheless, even if he didn't prove anything by your standards, he proved to be a significant upgrade over Tom Savage - which was kind of the whole point to my comment.

Clowney had microfracture when he was 21. Watt has had two back surgeries/a fractured leg in the last two years and is approaching 30 years old. Not even comparable. 

You can’t judge a player off of a 7 game sample size. He is being severely overhyped because of it too. We will see how he does for a full season.

13 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

You can’t judge a player off of a 7 game sample size. He is being severely overhyped because of it too. We will see how he does for a full season.

I agree with that, even though I was high on him coming out of college.

However--how does that assessment mean he isn't a "good" player? 

46 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Clowney had microfracture when he was 21. Watt has had two back surgeries/a fractured leg in the last two years and is approaching 30 years old. Not even comparable. 

OK - Rob Gronkowski. Don't remember him declining with two back surgeries and a broken forearm.

You're under the impression that anyone is expecting Watt to be the same 20+ sack guy he was. Given the maturation of Clowney, Bernardrick McKinney and Zach Cunningham, Watt doesn't need to be that guy anymore.

12+ games, 6ish sacks, 12 TFLs - that's a successful season for Watt, IMO. We'll let Clowney and Mercilius (who could have came off the IR last season if the Texans were in contention) will do the heavy lifting now. 

46 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

You can’t judge a player off of a 7 game sample size. He is being severely overhyped because of it too. We will see how he does for a full season

Not going to discount that, but with a top 5 WR and a deep threat he established an immediate connection with over four games in Will Fuller, he doesn't need to live up to the hype put before him. He can do exactly what every other QB under center did - throw it up to #10. That should mitigate any sort of regression.

2 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

He needs to prove it.

Fair enough. Your post seemed to imply he was bad, though. And that Watt was washed up. While I'll admit either is a possibility (though skeptical), I haven't seen proof that either is true. 

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Not going to discount that, but with a top 5 WR and a deep threat he established an immediate connection with over four games in Will Fuller, he doesn't need to live up to the hype put before him. He can do exactly what every other QB under center did - throw it up to #10. That should mitigate any sort of regression.

Yeah we really don't know what Watson will end up as but he exceeded all expectations last year and 19 TD in 7 games is impressive, Bortles had 21 in 16 games as a comparison.

Archived