Tennis Thread

DoleINGout

French Open 2018 is upon us and Rafael Nadal is again expected to win. Can he make it eleven at the French? The odds are in his favor with no Roger Federer, Novak Djokavic, Andy Murray, or Stan Wawrinka in the tournament this hear. It will be up to Dominic Theim and Alexander Sverev to knock out Nadal in the Final most likely, or could a veteran tour member like the hibbled Juan Martin Del Portro outduel Nadal en route? Will we see Kei Nishikori elevate his play in a weakend tournament? How about Marin Čilić to capture his second career Grand Slam Final? What surprises could there be? And on the women's side, no Williams sisters but Caroline Wozniaki is carrying the torch of a number one player. The Americans on both sides are younger than ever and starting to rebound into a strong group.

2 hours ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

Have I lost my mind? Swear I saw Novak is in the field this year. But either way Rafa will win

Novak is, just scrapped through to the third round.

I think in terms of competitiveness he's out of it

7 hours ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

Have I lost my mind? Swear I saw Novak is in the field this year. But either way Rafa will win

Yeah Djokovic is definitely playing but he was been sort of unfavored all along so when I had started tuning in I had assumed he was out.

Edited by DoleINGout

Mens draw is as expected for the quarters with the lone exception being the Italian Cecchinato who will have to go against Novak.

Theim/Zverev is a treat. Del Poteo/Cilic has potential to be fun to watch as well but without seeing either guy play yet I give the edge to Del Portro by default.

Nadal should dispatch Schwartzman without much difficulty as should Djokovic the Italian.

Semi's should be sweet.

Only slight surprises in the womens draw has been Wozniacki losing and Maria Sharapova advancing to the quarters.

I think we'll see an American face off in the semi's with Keys and Stevens. Slone has been looking better in the few games I saw of her play.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...