Tennis Thread

DoleINGout

Serena's post-match press conference was powerful and candid. I believe Serena was honest in everything she said. I felt like she lost the match to a better overall player in the tournament, (Naomi Osaka), this year, but she helped advance the sport of tennis in terms of it's focus on coaching during matches between men and women. Serena's US Open controversy today is going to have a swift and enduring impact for the better I think.

10 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Serena's post-match press conference was powerful and candid. I believe Serena was honest in everything she said. I felt like she lost the match to a better overall player in the tournament, (Naomi Osaka), this year, but she helped advance the sport of tennis in terms of it's focus on coaching during matches between men and women. Serena's US Open controversy today is going to have a swift and enduring impact for the better I think.

Powerful how? She accused someone of sexism for enforcing the rules. Does she have an example where another player (male or female) hasn’t been given a violation for doing the same thing? 

“He’s never taken a game from a man because they said “thief”.” Has the umpire ever been called that by another player? If so, how did he react in that situation? Did he give a violation?

She has also continued to lie about not receiving coaching, despite the fact her coach admitted that he was coaching her when he shouldn’t have been.

”I don’t cheat to win, I’d rather lose.”

- Serena Williams, about a minute after getting caught cheating.

Overall, I wouldn’t describe her comments are powerful. Irresponsible and designed to distract from the fact she got outplayed are the first things that spring to mind. Sadly, all this will take away from a deserved win for Osaka.

• Like 2

@Buc Ball Her presser is what moved me. Particularly the way she left off saying, (I'm paraphrasing), "It might not have worked out for me, but for the next person it might."

That mentality to me is so strong that I have a hard time not appreciating it, no matter the legitimacy for the infractions incurred during this particular match.

Edited by DoleINGout

Don't buy her bs. She's turned herself being a spoiled brat into an equality issue that just isn't relevant to what happened on court last night.

She's saying the umpire wouldn't react the same way to a male player, which is nonsense. Carlos Ramos has had run-ins with male players in the past. I vividly remember him reprimanding Djokovic for shouting aggressively in Serbian after a point, and the argument (and point penalty) which followed that. He didn't go as far as to take a game off Djokovic, but that might have been because Novak didn't start calling him a liar, a thief and demanding an apology numerous times. Her behavior on the court was an absolute disgrace, and trying to paint Ramos as sexist in the press conference is even worse.

I feel sorry for Osaka, whose maiden Slam victory has been overshadowed. She should be the one everyone is talking about today, and instead it's the opponent she defeated.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

@Buc Ball Her presser is what moved me. Particularly the way she left off saying, (I'm paraphrasing), "It might not have worked out for me, but for the next person it might."

That mentality to me is so strong that I have a hard time not appreciating it, no matter the legitimacy for the infractions incurred during this particular match.

But she isn’t a victim in this. She got caught cheating, lost her cool for an extended period of time and was punished for it under the rules.

Her mentality is not strong. If it was strong, she’d have not let the first violation distract her, she wouldn’t have continued with her rant during the change of ends, nor would she have talked herself into her third penalty.

She didn’t set a positive example for anyone last night.

36 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Don't buy her bs. She's turned herself being a spoiled brat into an equality issue that just isn't relevant to what happened on court last night.

She's saying the umpire wouldn't react the same way to a male player, which is nonsense. Carlos Ramos has had run-ins with male players in the past. I vividly remember him reprimanding Djokovic for shouting aggressively in Serbian after a point, and the argument (and point penalty) which followed that. He didn't go as far as to take a game off Djokovic, but that might have been because Novak didn't start calling him a liar, a thief and demanding an apology numerous times. Her behavior on the court was an absolute disgrace, and trying to paint Ramos as sexist in the press conference is even worse.

I feel sorry for Osaka, whose maiden Slam victory has been overshadowed. She should be the one everyone is talking about today, and instead it's the opponent she defeated.

Yea what the media is ignoring is they keep saying he wouldn’t take a game from a man for the same comment. Which is probably true because in order to take a game you would’ve already had two other infractions. If she didn’t receive coaching, and the first warning was for racket abuse and then she berated him she wouldn’t have got penalized a game either. It is rare to get penalized that much. 

23 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Ummmm .... what presser did you watch? Because Serena blamed everyone but her own poor performance for getting thoroughly trounced by Osaka. And that's what it was. Osaka was better. Flat out better.

The coaching stuff ... yea, it's a ticky tack penalty. Just about every coach in tennis does it. So I get being upset about that. Everything after that was on Serena though. She started calling the umpire sexist, yelling at him that she didn't cheat, that she's a mother: https://streamable.com/87l8o

By the way, not her first time berating an official. He ignored this, surprisingly, so they played on, until Serena decided to smash her racket against the court, which is an automatic penalty. So then she attacked the umpire some more, calling him a thief and a liar, and he gave her a game penalty, as that was the third strike. And frankly, he gave her quite a bit of leeway in her tirade.

Serena knew she was getting beat, threw a temper tantrum on the court, and is trying to play the SJW card by claiming it's because she's a woman. Serena blamed everyone but herself for the outcome of the match, and all she had to do was not act like a jerk to the umpire. Tennis has a long history of penalizing players for berating refererees, including  Djokovic last year at the French Open for telling the umpire he had lost his mind. Even the famous McEnroe was penalized and even ejected from matches over his verbal abuse.

I feel bad for Osaka. She played some great tennis and took advantage of Serena Williams' weakness and is simply not getting the credit she deserves.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/14/2019 at 11:00 PM, beekay414 said:

Who is Alexander Zverev? Man, I've been away from the tennis game for too long. Dude is #4 in the world and I've never heard of him!

God damn is he good. He's going to be a superstar, man (if he isn't already). He's extremely talented, great personality and he's good looking. Triple threat.

On 1/17/2019 at 2:37 PM, beekay414 said:

God damn is he good. He's going to be a superstar, man (if he isn't already). He's extremely talented, great personality and he's good looking. Triple threat.

For the last year or two he has been knocking on the door. Playing with and beating Federer, Nadal, Djokovic. But he has been falling on his face in the grand slams losing way earlier than he should. Think he brought in Lendl this year to help him get over the hurdle.

• Like 1