Tennis Thread

DoleINGout

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

How crazy would it be if 2 of the 3 in the big 3 announce they won't play the rest of the season because of COVID-19 and the 3rd decided to play to try and take advantage?

Well Federer just announced a setback in his injury recoery that's gonna put him out till next year anyways... I suspect 2021 will be it for him with his body starting to break down.

Seems like most of the opposition right now from the players focuses around the rules the USTA is floating to allow the US Open to go ahead in NY in August. It feels more like more of a negotiation tactic than anything else - I'm not sure I buy that Djokovic would really skip the US Open so that he can focus on Roland Garros where he has a much lower chance of winning. But we'll see what happens.

If I were the USTA I would think about moving the US Open to October and November and stage it in Indian Wells. From a hospitality standpoint probably much more favorable quarantine location compared to trying to isolate the players in hotels on the outskirts of NYC. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow. Djokovic was defaulted out of the US Open for accidentally striking a line judge with the ball. He hit it behind him in frustration after being broken and it hit her in the throat.

What was supposed to be an easy Slam to add to his count slips away.

Edited by seminoles1

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Wow, Swiatek didn't drop a single set en route to her first major at 19 years old. She beat Simona Halep 6-1, 6-2 and Sofia Kenin 6-4, 6-1 during that run. That's insane.

She was on fire all tournament. I've never seen her play before so I don't know if it was just a flash 2 weeks, but if this was real she is winning a handful of GS

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mse326 said:

She was on fire all tournament. I've never seen her play before so I don't know if it was just a flash 2 weeks, but if this was real she is winning a handful of GS

19 and rolls through and entire tournament? That's not a flash. She's a star if it all clicks 

3 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

What a shocker.

Nadal now has 20 to tie Federer.

I'm gonna miss this era when it's over. The three greatest players just marveling at each other for a decade+. Three dudes that flat out dominate a certain venue (Nadal 13 at RG, Fed 8 at Wimbledon, Joker 8 Australian). We'll never see anything like it again.

• 2 months later...
On 10/11/2020 at 8:21 PM, beekay414 said:

I'm gonna miss this era when it's over. The three greatest players just marveling at each other for a decade+. Three dudes that flat out dominate a certain venue (Nadal 13 at RG, Fed 8 at Wimbledon, Joker 8 Australian). We'll never see anything like it again.

Sinner is the next big thing imo.

9 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Sinner is the next big thing imo.

Never seen him play. The guys of the "next era" that I know are Zverev, Medvedev, Thiem, Tsitsipas and Rublev. Anybody outside those 5, I'm clueless on. I just lost Tennis channel from YouTubeTV so I'm totally on the outside now without the majors. Kyrgios too but he's an enigma so I don't expect much from him.

Edited by beekay414

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Never seen him play. The guys of the "next era" that I know are Zverev, Medvedev, Thiem, Tsitsipas and Rublev. Anybody outside those 5, I'm clueless on. I just lost Tennis channel from YouTubeTV so I'm totally on the outside now without the majors. Kyrgios too but he's an enigma so I don't expect much from him.

Saying that, none of them will ever touch what Fed, Nadal and Joker brought us.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Big fan of Thiem and Med. Zverev and Tsit are mental midgets. Just choke artists in the big moments. Zverev vs Thiem in the US Open comes to mind. 

Keep an eye on Sinner. He is going to make that leap soon. Only 19 years old.

I love watching Kyrgios because he is so talented but he just acts like he doesn’t give a **** sometimes. 

We have been spoiled by the big 3. It sucks it will be ending relatively soon. Obviously Fed will be the first to go. Think he had knee surgeries this year and that’s why he didn’t play.