Tennis Thread

DoleINGout

33 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Djokovic, Nadal, and Federer all dominating so far at the French Open. Djokovic has a pretty easy oath to the Final. Hopefully Nadal meets him there.

I feel bad saying I want another Djokovic and Nadal final, but I'll take it while I can get it. When the golden era officially ends it will be a sad day

• Like 1

Seemed like Federer was trying to hit through his backhand a lot today - maybe partly prepping for Nadal in the back of his mind - and he was missing a lot on those shots - if he doesn't get that right it's not even gonna be close against Nadal. 

Always a treat to get a Nadal/Federer showdown even if there's a lot less suspense on clay. Gonna be strange though considering it's almost certainly going to be Roger's last ever match at Roland Garros. 

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Seemed like Federer was trying to hit through his backhand a lot today - maybe partly prepping for Nadal in the back of his mind - and he was missing a lot on those shots - if he doesn't get that right it's not even gonna be close against Nadal. 

Always a treat to get a Nadal/Federer showdown even if there's a lot less suspense on clay. Gonna be strange though considering it's almost certainly going to be Roger's last ever match at Roland Garros. 

True. I think Federer is probably a top 5 player ever on clay, but he just happened to always go up against the GOAT on the surface (by a mile) all the time.

Let's take a second to appreciate that Federer took a 3 year break from the surface and still won a title and made the SFs at the French Open...at 37, which is the oldest semifinalist since 1968. Unreal.

I also don't think it'll be his last time at this tournament. Nadal and Djokovic both have very realistic chances of passing him for Slam titles, which wasn't really the case when he decided to stop playing clay a few years ago. He can't be giving up any chances to add to his total/keep them from winning, even if he's a huge underdog against both. He's too competitive and cares too much and would rather go down swinging than just concede a title to either of them every season until he either secures his spot at #1 or one or both pass him and he can't compete anymore.

17 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

True. I think Federer is probably a top 5 player ever on clay, but he just happened to always go up against the GOAT on the surface (by a mile) all the time.

Let's take a second to appreciate that Federer took a 3 year break from the surface and still won a title and made the SFs at the French Open...at 37, which is the oldest semifinalist since 1968. Unreal.

I also don't think it'll be his last time at this tournament. Nadal and Djokovic both have very realistic chances of passing him for Slam titles, which wasn't really the case when he decided to stop playing clay a few years ago. He can't be giving up any chances to add to his total/keep them from winning, even if he's a huge underdog against both. He's too competitive and cares too much and would rather go down swinging than just concede a title to either of them every season until he either secures his spot at #1 or one or both pass him and he can't compete anymore.

I think that's definitely a possibility. The flip side though is that I think the reality of the end being near for him is going to set in and he's going to have to decide how to prioritize. He's definitely going to play through the Olympics next year to try and complete the Golden Slam but a year, year and a half from now when he's pushing 40, I'm not sure whether even someone as good as him is going to be entering the Slams looking like he can win. He pulled one late career renaissance out of nowhere already but even since 2017 we've seen him decline slightly and at some point that process is going to accelerate. 

I think we're looking at something like 2021 Wimbledon as his farewell tournament. So looking out over the next two years, provided he loses to Nadal on Friday, it would make sense for him to just say that winning another French is probably out of the question as long as Nadal and Djokovic are fit/active, and say that the best chance he has at adding to his Slam total is giving himself that 2 month break in the middle of the season and the prioritizing fast surfaces. Coming back to the French this year was I think his way of taking the temperature on whether he can still make a run here while giving himself a chance to say goodbye if he can't, and if he loses decisively to Nadal I think that answers the question for him. 

Just now, BaltimoreTerp said:

Even though the winner would have to play Nadal without a day's rest, I'm not even sure if I'd want to go back out there today again if I'm Thiem or Novak. Seems like it's impossible to get into any rhythm with the wind blowing the way it is. 

If I'm Thiem I'd want to stick it out. The elements make it more likely for an upset. Giving Djokovic a day to collect himself and maybe be at his best tomorrow is not a risk I want to take.

After today I think you're right that Federer is probably done here. At this point he has to know his only chance of winning is if Nadal is either out or someone else beats him. I don't think he's as scared of Djokovic, but he can't beat Nadal here.