Chiefs OL Becomes a Doctor

Chiefer

On 5/29/2018 at 6:58 PM, the lone star said:

My younger bro also became a doctor recently, same with my cousin sister. So definitely a huge congrats to all 2018 graduates!

Are they in the nfl tho 

It's going to be interesting to see what he does for residency. Medical school isn't easy...but it's really nothing compared to residency. I'm sure that he had a medical school willing to work with him to allow him to continue to NFL pursuits...but that just doesn't fly in residency. It's an absolute grind...working 60-80 (if not more hours per week). And it's not the type of work that you are done with after you are off the clock...it can absolutely be draining and soul-crushing. There aren't any part time residencies. I assume that he is going to have to quit football before he can start residency...but then becomes the issue of him being years removed from a medical education before residency...where you typically have very little oversight and people's lives are in your hands. His case is interesting enough that I'm sure that a residency program out there will take him...but this is a peculiar situation...and I'm not so sure it's in the best interest of his medical career and his patients.

8 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

It's going to be interesting to see what he does for residency. Medical school isn't easy...but it's really nothing compared to residency. I'm sure that he had a medical school willing to work with him to allow him to continue to NFL pursuits...but that just doesn't fly in residency. It's an absolute grind...working 60-80 (if not more hours per week). And it's not the type of work that you are done with after you are off the clock...it can absolutely be draining and soul-crushing. There aren't any part time residencies. I assume that he is going to have to quit football before he can start residency...but then becomes the issue of him being years removed from a medical education before residency...where you typically have very little oversight and people's lives are in your hands. His case is interesting enough that I'm sure that a residency program out there will take him...but this is a peculiar situation...and I'm not so sure it's in the best interest of his medical career and his patients.

I would surmise his residency would be on hiatus - like you said, the hours are brutal and the commitment needed extends beyond the hours in the hospital. 

It's a very interesting case - it'll simply be impossible to do it now. 

5 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Good for him. He has a real future available to him after football.

They all do. it just requires that they pay attention. Even a two-year career as a part-timer and ST player can set someone up for life. Rookie minimum is more $400,000 and it increases.

8 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

They all do. it just requires that they pay attention. Even a two-year career as a part-timer and ST player can set someone up for life. Rookie minimum is more $400,000 and it increases.

What I'm saying is that even after his football career he will still maintain a career

Archived