Redraft Playoffs: Manually Reseed Or Just Abide By The System?

the lone star

Redraft Playoffs: Manually Reseed Or Just Abide By The System?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Redraft Playoffs: Manually Reseed Or Just Abide By The System?

• Yes. Manually Reseed.
    • No. No Manual Reseed. Just Abide By The System.

So I was the commissioner of a work redraft league one year, and we had 8 teams make the playoffs. The first round was 1 v. 8, 2-7, 3-6, and 4-5. But it was a bracket style playoff, so it did not automatically reseed the highest ranked team vs. the lowest ranked team. So we wound up with 5 v. 8 and 2 v. 3. I wanted to manually reseed, so that #2 played #8 and #3 played #5, but after checking the settings, I realized that I could not have selected such an option at the beginning of the year. Furthermore, I had never discussed such an event with the rest of the league, so I just let the system dictate, instead of overriding it myself. Without disclosing it to the group ahead of time, I just felt it improper to intervene.

Seeds 5 and 8 were happy, but seeds 2 and 3 were not. If I had manually reset, seeds 5 and 8 would have been upset, while 2 and 3 would have been happy. There wasn't really a perfect solution.

What do you think I should have done? Should I have manually reset or not?

This comes down to how the settings were at the start of the year. If you hadn't talked about reseeding so that it's always high seed versus low seed and so on and so forth, than I don't think you change it. Plus, it makes things generally more enjoyable for everyone in the game if it's a bracket set-up in my opinion, because if you get an upset such as the 8 seed beating the 1, they have put in a their dues to make it to whatever match-up the next around is. In the NCAA tourney the bracket works fine, and no one complained that when the 16 seed one that they didn't have to play the #2 seed next.

Archived