All Time Top 50 As Told By Des82 & FM30

flyingmonkey30

I tried to get one of these going last year, but between the new forum and some personal things, it flamed out after the first 10-15 players. So I teamed up with @Desperado82 to create our own top 50 Dallas Cowboys of all time. As you all know, we have a very storied franchise, and many elite players have donned the star. It was tough having to leave some players off, so we did a short honorable mention list as well. We'll start with that shortly, and over the next couple of months, release one player per day until we get to #1.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
- Flozell Adams, T
- Dan Bailey, K
- Roy Williams, S
- Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson, LB
- Jim Jeffcoat, DE

Top 50
#50 - Calvin Hill, RB
#49 - Billy Joe Dupree, TE
#48 - Ralph Neely, OT
#47 - Travis Frederick, C

Honorable Mention - Flozell Adams, OT

See the source image

1998 - 2009 | Accolades: 5X Pro Bowler | 1X 2nd Team All Pro | Started 194 Out of 198 Games Played

My high school basketball coach once told me I looked like a house with feet, at 6'5, 230 pounds. Flozell Adams has three inches and 115 pounds on me, so that it's easy to see why he was nicknamed "The Hotel". He may not have been the conventional left tackle, but he made up for below average athleticism with his hulking size (36 1/2" arms), durability, and technique. Adams' career took off after the hiring of Bill Parcells in 2003, and he went on to make the Pro Bowl in five of the next six seasons, including an appearance on the All Pro 2nd team. Unfortunately, fans mostly remember Adams for his constant false start, holding, and tripping penalties, which put a sour taste on an otherwise fantastic career. Only four other offensive linemen in franchise history were named to more Pro Bowls than Adams, and yet he's rarely spoken of in the same breath as other elite Cowboys. Always underrated and underappreciated, it seemed fitting to lead the honorable mention list with Flozell.

In a Few Words: "Underrated. Solid. Was a key part in the team's success prior to drafting Tyron Smith." - Deseperado82

Have to admit, he drove me crazy with his false start penalties which always seemed to come at the most inopportune times. That said, he was and still is an underrated player and I think we severely missed him during that 2010 season.

Honorable Mention - Dan Bailey, K

dan-bailey-nfl-dallas-cowboys-tennessee-

2011 - Present | Accolades: 1x Pro Bowler | 1x 2nd Team All Pro | Started 108 Out of 112 Games Played

"The man's got ice water in his veins. He's a hell of a kicker." - Stephen Jones

The man. The myth. The legend. It's not often that a kicker becomes one of the more well known players on a football team, but in the case of Dan Bailey - he's earned it. Undrafted out of Oklahoma State in 2011, Bailey would soon prove his worth and earn the nickname Cowboys fans affectionately bestowed upon him - "BAILMONEY." 

As a testament to his worth, prior to the 2017 season Bailey had never played in a game where he did not make at least one extra point or field goal. Speaking of that 2017 season, it's probably the reason Dan the Man didn't make it into our Top 50 list. I mean, there's something to be said for being the 2nd most accurate kicker in NFL history, even after sustaining a down year. 

The team and fans alike are hoping that last year was an aberration and that 2018 sees the return of the #5 we all know and depend on.  

In a Few Words: "One of the most accurate kickers of all time, a down season likely prevented Bailey from cracking this year’s edition of our top 50. He’s been almost as reliable as we could hope for since signing as an undrafted free agent." - FlyingMonkey30

Bailey only an honorable mention. Interesting. I know he's 'only' a kicker, but in terms of quality per position, he's pretty damned good. That said, I'm looking forward to the rest of the list, because Dallas have had some excellent players over the past, what, 30 years? 

Will be keeping an eye out for personal favorites; Allen, Witten, Lee, Aikman and Johnston

Archived