Sign in to follow this  
bosko1616

FA OLB Kendricks to visit Browns

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

I dunno. The fact that we had two lb play every snap and our other lb was injured probably tells us more of why we are interested in lb. My biggest issue with Schobert is that he looks too thin but he never left a game last year so it seems unwarranted. I think he was a good player, could end up being better or worse than that but there was considerable improvement from year one to year two and any improvement from last year and the thought of him needing replaced will be laughable.

I definitely agree, and never said he needs to be replaced but as I still stand by, we could use an impact player at that position. He definitely was adequate but I would love to see more than just adequate, maybe he can do it, I just want to see it whether its him or someone who can.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

We’d have legit LB depth and a great coverage LB.

idk if you know this because I didn't either until recently, but Kendricks is bad in coverage apparently. He was the linebacker they took off the field in passing situations. Kind of weird considering how athletic he is, but apparently he can't cover worth a lick.

I don't think there's any shot he comes here/we sign him. We desperately need LB depth, but I don't think a guy of Kendrick's caliber is going to want to come to a team that went 0-16 last year to sit on the bench.

Edited by BleedTheClock

We can replace Schobert with someone else easily. I never thought Schobert was some kind of superstar. He's somewhere around the 12th-18th best MLB in the NFL and is completely average in that regard. I'd like to upgrade, but it's not some glaring need that we have, especially given our defense. Williams doesn't really value linebackers. They are just blitzing pieces from what I've seen. He doesn't ask them to do much in coverage and he doesn't require them to be traditional read & react linebackers. They just don't seem very valuable to Williams in this blitz-heavy zone scheme. I think he wants berzerkers with speed that can blitz at the position more than anything else.

Yeah I don’t see it. Would be nice but unless we pay him a boat load he’s not going to go from starting on the Super Bowl winning team to being a backup on the worst team.  

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

We can replace Schobert with someone else easily. I never thought Schobert was some kind of superstar. He's somewhere around the 12th-18th best MLB in the NFL and is completely average in that regard. I'd like to upgrade, but it's not some glaring need that we have, especially given our defense. Williams doesn't really value linebackers. They are just blitzing pieces from what I've seen. He doesn't ask them to do much in coverage and he doesn't require them to be traditional read & react linebackers. They just don't seem very valuable to Williams in this blitz-heavy zone scheme. I think he wants berzerkers with speed that can blitz at the position more than anything else.

I would love to upgrade over slow joe but they’re not doing that after his pro bowl season. 

35 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I would love to upgrade over slow joe but they’re not doing that after his pro bowl season. 

Slow Joe? I don't think his speed is an issue at all. He certainly isn't in the top 7 of our defensive starters that we need to be worried about.

Garrett/Ogbah I think we won't have to worry about (assuming healthy)
Kirksey we don't have to worry about.

Every other defensive starter for one reason or another is more of a concern than Schobert.

DT's are iffy. They certainly need to prove that they are NFL starters.
Collins hasn't found any kind of rhythm since the trade.
Randall switching positions.
Peppers probably shouldn't even be starting unless he earns it in preseason.
Ward is a rookie, the other CBs have some upside but far from a sure thing.

55 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Slow Joe? I don't think his speed is an issue at all. He certainly isn't in the top 7 of our defensive starters that we need to be worried about.

Every other defensive starter for one reason or another is more of a concern than Schobert.

The only starter I'm really "worried" about on defense is our CB #2. I think Gaines will be able to handle that without much of an issue, but I'm less sure about that than any other one of our starters. Even if you want to paint Peppers as a possible problem defensively, he'll just be benched and the already proven to be solid Derrick Kindred returns to the SS role. I'm not really worried about our defense. I'd like another DT, but I don't think we're going to be cursing the football gods because of the poor play from our DT's.

Snap counts for LBs in Gregg's defense are limited. Kendricks does not do anything that gives him a clear advantage over the starting 3, and he damn sure doesn't play special teams, so what would be the point?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

The only starter I'm really "worried" about on defense is our CB #2. I think Gaines will be able to handle that without much of an issue, but I'm less sure about that than any other one of our starters. Even if you want to paint Peppers as a possible problem defensively, he'll just be benched and the already proven to be solid Derrick Kindred returns to the SS role. I'm not really worried about our defense. I'd like another DT, but I don't think we're going to be cursing the football gods because of the poor play from our DT's.

It may sound crazy but for an 0-16 (1-31) team we don't really have any glaring holes outside of maybe LT. Doesn't mean we are a good roster but there is what should be competent players at most starting spots.

Edited by Thomas5737

15 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I totally disagree 

shoot our DTs were our strength last year we had like the number 1 rated rush defense for a while. 

When Collins was out there healthy he was balling. He looked like all pro in the Detroit game before going down. He’s legit our 2nd best defensive player. 

Peppers will be fine. Actually he’ll be a pro bowler. To me he’s Landon Collins waiting to happen your gonna see a big jump with him at strong. 

Our only hole is backup defensive end. I never want to see Carl Nassib in the 4th quarter even again 

12 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

It may sound crazy but for an 0-16 (1-31) team we don't really have any glaring holes outside of maybe LT. Doesn't mean we are a good roster but there is what should be competent players at most starting spots.

We definitely have talent at every unit across the roster. It's just a lot of that talent is young and relatively unproven. DT is a great example. I think most of us would agree that we have lots of potential in Ogunjobi, Coley and Brantley, but they still have a ton to prove.

12 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

You are right.  That is an almost "Twilight Zone-esque" statement.  (Don't disagree with you, but reading it in print is so surreal.)

13 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

This year, maybe.  We'll see.  But last year, we had plenty of glaring holes.  CB's were downright awful.  WR's weren't much better.  QB's were historically bad.  If we were able to fix those 3 groups (and I think we have), then I agree that we don't have any glaring holes.