Packers sign OL Byron Bell

Lieker

2 hours ago, Joe said:

TT did want to sign him a few years ago. I think he's better off at Guard at this point in his career. We've got plenty of guys we can split out to Tackle. Not sure I can say the same about Guard. Could be wrong. *shrug*

I disagree. We have guard cover. The issue is all of GBs RTs are coming off injuries. Bulaga might be on the PUP, that’s a guarantee 6 games GB is without their starter at RT.

Im sure they like Spriggs and Murphy but at this point given their injuries and lack of consistent play... they are doubling down on T to get them thru the first 6 weeks. If Spriggs or Murphy win the RT job it will be because they bet out a veteran with a good amount of experience.

I'm guessing that, if Bell makes the team, it's going to be in a Don Barclay sort of role -- not the kind of guy you're going to rely on even as a long-term backup, but somebody who can step in and finish out a game at a variety of positions if something unfortunate happens.

16 minutes ago, VicPez said:

I'm guessing that, if Bell makes the team, it's going to be in a Don Barclay sort of role -- not the kind of guy you're going to rely on even as a long-term backup, but somebody who can step in and finish out a game at a variety of positions if something unfortunate happens.

Bell is (or at least used to be) a lot better than Don Barclay. Bell started multiple seasons in Carolina and has a solid resume behind him. His play has dipped the last few years but he's a much more established player than Barclay. 

19 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I feel like I wanted TT to sign him 4 yrs ago or something

Actually, he was brought in last year at the same time as Christine Michael. So, there was previous interest in him by the Packers. This signing is another indication that Gutekunst is willing to sign players he thinks might help the Packers. Besides, with Bulaga's injury history, having a veteran backup just seems prudent. And yes, he could play tackle or guard. So, potentially, if Taylor's recovery from surgery is longer than expected, he could be inserted there. Does this mean he'll make the team? No, but it means the Packers aren't relying on last year's players to "make a leap". If they do, great. Cut him. If not, they have him ready to plug in. 

6 hours ago, Green19 said:

I disagree. We have guard cover. The issue is all of GBs RTs are coming off injuries. Bulaga might be on the PUP, that’s a guarantee 6 games GB is without their starter at RT.

Im sure they like Spriggs and Murphy but at this point given their injuries and lack of consistent play... they are doubling down on T to get them thru the first 6 weeks. If Spriggs or Murphy win the RT job it will be because they bet out a veteran with a good amount of experience.

we can kick out McCray to RT though and how many guys do we have coming back from injury there? Guard is the bigger concern on that side.

4 hours ago, VicPez said:

As far as I'm aware.  He's got no center experience, and very limited guard experience.  Played almost exclusively tackle IIRC.  Seems like Spriggs/Bulaga insurance.

3 hours ago, Joe said:

we can kick out McCray to RT though and how many guys do we have coming back from injury there? Guard is the bigger concern on that side.

But McCray is better suited at G, why kick him out to T unless you have a ton of injuries (ala last year)? He is our starter at RG. You also have Patrick and you just draft Madison. Also I’m sure the are interested in what they have in Amichia. GB has Guard settled. It’s Taylor, McCray, Patrick, Madison and if someone like Light or Amichia show something.

Bell was a Tackle most of his career, it can be argued now that he might be better suited inside but he has more experience and time logged at Tackle. If GB was going to kick McCray out to T they would sign Evans back. They don’t want to.... they want McCray to just run with it. But all their RTs are injured, enter Bell as a stop gap. Literally an insurance policy for Bulaga. They likely want Spriggs or Murphy to be the policy but they can’t trust they will be. So Bell is here to either push those guys or to take that spot as a stop gap until Bulaga gets back.

25 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This is a camp body competitor at G/T with no long or short term implications on the teams plans.

We've got to stop acting like every Free Agent signing is going to start. Sometimes a depth signing is just a depth signing

They all are All Pros until they get injured with the GB PackIRs

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This is a camp body competitor at G/T with no long or short term implications on the teams plans.

We've got to stop acting like every Free Agent signing is going to start. Sometimes a depth signing is just a depth signing

You have to remember this thing where we sign players in the off-season is very foreign and new to most here

Did we resign Evans? Dont think so, but perhaps I missed it.

Does this signing mean that without further injury along the OL Evans is done in GB? 

Dont think recent signings are of the "break the bank" (or CAP) style - but we still have the Big Enchilada to get resigned/extended.......

Archived