Fallout 76

Danger

56 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I think people are getting too hung up on the "Fallout" title and trying to fit the game into their preconceived expectations. All the complaints everyone has are that this isn't a standard Bethesda RPG, but that is not what this game is, and not what Bethesda wanted it to be. It's like if EA released a Battle Royale game using NFL players as characters, and then complaining that it isn't a sports game. 

If you want a singleplayer game, go play a singleplayer game. Nothing wrong with that. This game is just aimed at a different audience. 

I think it's like if Madden 19 was a BR instead of a normal Madden game and people had to wait til 2020 to get their football fix.  

Not a perfect comparison as the expectation is that Madden comes out yearly, but the same idea. 3 years since the last release and people hear a new FO game, they're going to be pissed when it isn't what they're used to or expected.

3 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:
1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

I think people are getting too hung up on the "Fallout" title and trying to fit the game into their preconceived expectations. All the complaints everyone has are that this isn't a standard Bethesda RPG, but that is not what this game is, and not what Bethesda wanted it to be. It's like if EA released a Battle Royale game using NFL players as characters, and then complaining that it isn't a sports game. 

If you want a singleplayer game, go play a singleplayer game. Nothing wrong with that. This game is just aimed at a different audience. 

I think it's like if Madden 19 was a BR instead of a normal Madden game and people had to wait til 2020 to get their football fix.  

Not a perfect comparison as the expectation is that Madden comes out yearly, but the same idea. 3 years since the last release and people hear a new FO game, they're going to be pissed when it isn't what they're used to or expected.

I agree that it's not a perfect comparison, but it was 7 years from fallout 3 to 4. New Vegas was a bridge game made by a different studio. I would have been shocked if this was a true fallout game.

But I agree. It's a different kind of game in the Fallout universe. People who are in Fallout for the deep single player experience are going to be upset, and there are going to be a ton of people who didn't get into Fallout before that are going to be happy with these changes. Luckily I love both Fallout and most online co-op games. 

I do wish it was more geared towards Borderlands, ie having the story and being able to play co-op, but I'm sure this will be great in its own way

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

This.

I also think people are going full Chicken Little with details that are very limited at this point.

41 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I agree that it's not a perfect comparison, but it was 7 years from fallout 3 to 4. New Vegas was a bridge game made by a different studio. I would have been shocked if this was a true fallout game.

But I agree. It's a different kind of game in the Fallout universe. People who are in Fallout for the deep single player experience are going to be upset, and there are going to be a ton of people who didn't get into Fallout before that are going to be happy with these changes. Luckily I love both Fallout and most online co-op games. 

I do wish it was more geared towards Borderlands, ie having the story and being able to play co-op, but I'm sure this will be great in its own way

That's a great point, I wasn't aware (or forgot) NV was by a different studio.  3 years would have been a real fast turnaround.  

I'll be the first to admit I'm being totally unreasonable, but all I wanted was the classic Fallout story and NPC driven RPG, but able to play with with a friend or two.  Hearing that this was multiplayer had my expectations at exactly that, but news that has come out makes it sound much different.  No doubt there will be a market for this type of game, it just isn't what I wanted.  I'll most likely still be getting it and am excited to hear more details.  

I'm not angry by any means. I'm just disappointed. Very, very disappointed. It's like you had plans with your one buddy to just chill, and then he's like "nah, I'm going to this big party" 30 minutes before you're supposed to meet up.

Edited by Danger
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Danger said:

I'm not angry by any means. I'm just disappointed. Very, very disappointed. It's like you had plans with your one buddy to just chill, and then he's like "nah, I'm going to this big party" 30 minutes before you're supposed to meet up.

I think the reactions would have been totally different if they would have said from the beginning that this was going to be a completely different type of game. The initial teaser and then the Microsoft E3 presentation really made it look like a traditional game.

Just now, Heimdallr said:

I think the reactions would have been totally different if they would have said from the beginning that this was going to be a completely different type of game. The initial teaser and then the Microsoft E3 presentation really made it look like a traditional game.

Exactly. I wish they would have told us about a year or so, "Hey our next game isn't going to be your traditional single player game from us." as well.

• Like 1

Hell, I'm barely scratching the surface FO4 now so while I'm disappointed, I can appreciate how many people are even more disappointed since they've probably been waiting for a new one for a while now. I totally get that and would be right there w you had I been done w/ FO4 for a couple years now. It's a damn fun game.

40 minutes ago, Danger said:

Exactly. I wish they would have told us about a year or so, "Hey our next game isn't going to be your traditional single player game from us." as well.

I don't understand this mindset. They can do whatever they want with their games, and they're trying to appeal to a different/bigger audience with 76. They're still going to make a fallout 5, we all know that, it's just going to take a while. 

76 was announced 2 weeks ago and we already have all the information that it's completely online, so the dishonest part from the trailers is ridiculous. 

I'm much more annoyed that they teased TES 6 when it's probably not going to come out for 4 years 

57 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I don't understand this mindset. They can do whatever they want with their games, and they're trying to appeal to a different/bigger audience with 76. They're still going to make a fallout 5, we all know that, it's just going to take a while. 

76 was announced 2 weeks ago and we already have all the information that it's completely online, so the dishonest part from the trailers is ridiculous. 

I'm much more annoyed that they teased TES 6 when it's probably not going to come out for 4 years 

This.

And on the TES thing I think it was just fatigue.

4 hours ago, Danger said:

The big disappointment is that we are going to have to wait a minimum of 5 years more likely 6 between traditional Bethesda single player RPG titles, and the last one was a meh Fallout 4. You know Bethesda, the company that started the campaign of #SavePlayer1.

You mean the company that has in turn created half a dozen single player only games since then?

Curse them for wanting to stretch their wings. Who needs creativity.

1 hour ago, JBURGE25 said:

The mindset is they've always made single player games, I look forward to their single player games but now they didn't make a single player game and never really indicated that they were going to go another direction. For a company that is all about "#SavePlayer1" I was expecting something that I'd actually want to play. Now I'll have to wait another 3 years for a game that really peaks my interest from them.

Edited by Danger

3 hours ago, Danger said:

The mindset is they've always made single player games, I look forward to their single player games but now they didn't make a single player game and never really indicated that they were going to go another direction. For a company that is all about "#SavePlayer1" I was expecting something that I'd actually want to play. Now I'll have to wait another 3 years for a game that really peaks my interest from them.

I don't agree with this because I actually dislike their single player games.  Fallout New Vegas was pretty good, but other than that I could give two damns about the other games they make.  Fallout 76 is really appealing to me because it's so online immersive.  This is the right direction to go in, IMO.  Single player only games in 2018 and beyond are kind of meh and a turn off, IMO.  Even with Fallout 5, I wouldn't be surprised if that game had some type of multiplayer or coop function.

I think Fallout 76 is coming out in November.  it's going to be a tough sell for me just because of the other games coming out at around the same time period, but I think it's a game I will own at some point.  Whereas Fallout 4 - I had absolutely no interest in that game when it first launched.

25 minutes ago, showtime said:

Fallout 76 is really appealing to me because it's so online immersive.  This is the right direction to go in, IMO.  Single player only games in 2018 and beyond are kind of meh and a turn off, IMO.  Even with Fallout 5, I wouldn't be surprised if that game had some type of multiplayer or coop function.

This is exactly the mindset that ruins gaming for people who enjoy single player. 

"Onine Immersive" with no NPCs, no worthwhile story, no factions? This game is more than likely going to be akin to sea of thieves in all honesty.

Let me have a roleplaying experience where the choices I make impact the world and those living in it. Not "here go build things and wait for some 12 year old to blow it up."

If they wanted to make Fallout 76 as well as another game within the same timespan I'd have no quarrels with that, but they left people who do enjoy single players out to try and threw them under the bus.