• Hill
    • Mixon
    • Bernard
  2. 2. Who ends the game?

• Hill
    • Mixon
    • Bernard

7 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

Trying out the highlight text feature to quote. Pretty cool. 

I still stand by Hill being the starter. 

I voted hill too, but I'm holding out hope that the coaches come to their senses and cut him in camp. Let mixon and Bernard play. 

• 3 weeks later...

Jim Owzarski interviewed Jeremy Hill on the BBP this week.  It was interesting to hear Jeremy talk about Mixon joining the team.  He wasn't put off at all (which was good), but also seemed to insinuate that Mixon was going to be third string.  To which i say, "good luck with that".

He also more or less said that all three would play.  I have a hard time believing that.  Wasn't that long ago that the team really struggled to get two backs proper playing time.  Three would seem downright impossible.

I dont trust our coaching rotations enough to believe we will get 3 running backs in there. With Gio coming back from injury, I see Hill getting the first carry of the year. We will see Mixon in a series or 2 a game I think, but that will be it until the bye week or so. 

I think we did this in the old forum, didn't we?  Over there I said I thought Hill would start for the first 4-6 games.  I am beginning to believe it won't be that many.  Why waste a drive or two at the beginning of those games.  Hill starts week one, Mixon end it, and never looks back (well in this case, he never looks up in the depth chart) as he leaves Hill as the third RB, once the team thinks Gio is 100%.

40 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

once the team thinks Gio is 100%.

If they're not convinced by now, they will be in his first live action.  He looks 100% to me.

I'm with you.  i don't think it will be 4-6 games either.  These first few preseason games will be very telling.  If Hill is running at a 3.2 YPC clip and Mixon is in the 4's or 5's, Hill may not even get the week 1 token start.  I'll admit he may survive as a goal line back for a little while, but as i posted before that's a skill he's really only league average at.  

On the other hand, if they're all struggling it could take longer.  I don't think any of us are expecting Mixon to struggle though.

According to Bengals.com via Geoff Hubson believes Joe Mixon will get 20 or more in week 1. 

Not really sure if I believe that will happen. The Bengals have usually struggled to run the ball on the Ravens, so if he had 10 touches for 20 yards so far in the game, would Zampese still be willing to commit to that, or just make Dalton throw it 40 something times instead?

12 minutes ago, MrCincinnati said:

According to Bengals.com via Geoff Hubson believes Joe Mixon will get 20 or more in week 1. 

Not really sure if I believe that will happen. The Bengals have usually struggled to run the ball on the Ravens, so if he had 10 touches for 20 yards so far in the game, would Zampese still be willing to commit to that, or just make Dalton throw it 40 something times instead?

I think the main takeaway is that the mothership thinks he's the starter already - without actually seeing him in game action.  That could either mean a lot, or nothing.

On 8/3/2017 at 6:30 PM, theJ said:

I think the main takeaway is that the mothership thinks he's the starter already - without actually seeing him in game action.  That could either mean a lot, or nothing.

Well according to ESPN, via Katherine Terrell, Jeremy Hill is expected to enter the season as the starting RB. However Mixon will probably still end up with the most touches.

Sort of the same thing they did with Bernard his rookie year when I think about it. Green Ellis did start just about every game, but it was Bernard who had the most touches is mostly every game it seemed.

12 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

Well according to ESPN, via Katherine Terrell, Jeremy Hill is expected to enter the season as the starting RB. However Mixon will probably still end up with the most touches

I don't understand the point of that.

39 minutes ago, MrCincinnati said:

Maybe they want to see if Hill starts out good in that game or not, which would warrant the decision to either leave him in the game or not. Ride the hot hand so to speak.

This.  I think Hill starts the first half, get about 2.0 ypc and Mixon starts the second half.

Archived