Bills Trade WR Sammy Watkins To the Rams

HTTRDynasty

9 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

People bash the Rams for not having a legit WR and now they have one and people still bash them lol. Haters!!!! I love the fit for Watkins in McVay offense. He will take the top off defenses and get respected where teams won't lock on Gurley all game. Meanwhile let Kupp and Woods work short to intermediate and let Everett and Higbee work in the middle and down the seams. Not to mention Tavon who will make splash plays to keep defenses having to keep him in their minds on jet sweeps among other plays. This Rams offense just became more exciting. 

... NOBODY is bashing the Rams for this, as far as I've seen. Everyone is bagging on the Bills.

I mean, if you want us to bag on the Rams, we can. xD

2 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

... NOBODY is bashing the Rams for this, as far as I've seen. Everyone is bagging on the Bills.

I mean, if you want us to bag on the Rams, we can. xD

We deserve it. Just don't remind me of Cooper Kupp, please.

10 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Everybody acting like Sammy Watkins was as good as his draft position.  He wasn't.  He's played in 37/48 games, he's flashed more diva potential than HOF potential, and he's had 17 touchdowns.  And don't give me, "He's had a horrible QB," so what?  In his second year, Calvin Johnson had 78 receptions, 1300 yards and 12 touchdowns with Culpepper, Henson, Orlovsky and Stanton at QB.  Hopkins had 1200 yard and 1500 yard seasons without anybody.  From a production standpoint, Jordan Matthews is better than Sammy Watkins.  From a diva mentality, Matthews is better than Watkins.  From a health standpoint Matthews is better than Watkins. 

The Bills have gotten better production and health, less whining at the WR position.
Consider it a wash at CB.
A second and third round pick.

When you're rebuilding a team, the last thing you want is a receiver who's gonna tell you how to rebuild and act out.  The Bills aren't in it for this season, and they're building a hell of a lot of draft capital for next year.  They're going to have two first round draft picks, 2 second rounders and 2 third round picks.  The Rams pick is going to be a considerably high second round pick.

Bills came out ahead in this one all things considered. 

I don't think I would go to the extent that you did but overall I agree. For me, Sammy Watkins undeniably has the talent to be a top WR and he has shown that when he has been healthy. The problem is that he hasn't been healthy enough to ever really start to reach that level. He has already made plenty of noise about getting paid and I don't think there is anyway the Bills were going to pay him huge money with his injury concerns. It's hard to argue the Bills got better by dealing Watkins but they at least have someone who should be a reliable option every week. 

9 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

The crazy thing for me is that it seems more teams are beginning to tank or "trust the process" in the NFL. Sashi Brown and the Browns FO, I believe, have started a trend.

Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson did this in the late 80s. There's nothing new about trading veteran players for draft picks/prospects and "tanking" for a higher draft position. This has been a model for building teams throughout history in all the pro sport leagues in this country.

Well now we know what the meeting on the field after practice yesterday was about. Kroenke, Demoff, Snead and McVay were talking to Goff about this trade /speculation

It's a risk that Watkins will stay healthy and they can retain him. But Gains was our 4th CB at best and is just as injury prone while also being in a contract year. We'll see how the gamble pays off.

It's not a bad trade for the Bills... If Sammy is hurt all year and the Rams suck, they get close to a 1st round pick and Gaines has shown some good corner play as a rookie and is still pretty young. Next years draft is stacked so the Bills are putting themselves in good shape to get some guys along with their additional first round pick next year. If the Chiefs, Rams, and Eagles do bad though, the Bills could be looking at having an additional high 1st, high 2nd (almost like a late first), and high 3rd (almost like a late 2nd) in a draft good/great at WR, OT, QB, and DL , with some DB's to boot.

That being said, I've always liked Sammy and I wish  him the best. Trades like this are good for the NFL.

If Watkins can stay healthy, I love this deal for the Rams. That's obviously no guarantee, and though I love Gaines at corner (was a big fan of his during the draft that year), Watkins is easily worth a second rounder and Gaines (who I think has had his own injury concerns as well, hasn't he? )

Archived