Bills Trade WR Sammy Watkins To the Rams

HTTRDynasty

Just now, cddolphin said:

I kind of get Watkins. Darby was a good, upcoming, physically talented CB though.

I mean, Matthews is a good/solid WR but Watkins has top 5 potential. He's lacked a QB and was injured last year, but the dude is a beast. I just don't get it.

Just now, Brian23 said:

I mean, Matthews is a good/solid WR but Watkins has top 5 potential. He's lacked a QB and was injured last year, but the dude is a beast. I just don't get it.

Foot problems, too negatively vocal, FA after this season, no ties to current front office.

I think the Bills are full on rebuilding right now. They now have 2 1st, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds for next years draft. I don't think they were resigning Watkins anyway so it was smart to get something for him. I can't really blame them since they were just treading water before making these moves. 

Just now, Deadpulse said:

Bills probably decided they werent going to pay him what he wanted so got a pick out of it. 

Should have picked up the 5th year option and let it play out. They got a lot of picks though, In 18' they got the Chiefs 1, Rams 2 and Eagles 3

I don't see any issue with this deal.

Buffalo needs a QB. By the time they have one Watkins would need a big money deal. Get some picks and a DB for him, that's all good.

The Matthews deal I don't get, because Darby is a pretty good DB, if you're giving that up to get Matthews you might as well have just waited and got the comp pick for Watkins.

I've said for a while now that I'd take a less talented receiver who can be relied on to be on the field most of the season over someone more talented but less reliable. I don't love the trade but I don't hate it either. I think this has huge potential to look like a horrible trade for the Bills down the road if Sammy ever gets over his injury problems because he is supremely talented. I'm assuming a large part of this was that they weren't going to resign him as he has already been talking about getting paid. I'm much more upset about Darby 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't see any issue with this deal.

Buffalo needs a QB. By the time they have one Watkins would need a big money deal. Get some picks and a DB for him, that's all good.

The Matthews deal I don't get, because Darby is a pretty good DB, if you're giving that up to get Matthews you might as well have just waited and got the comp pick for Watkins.

To be fair Darby had a really rough season last year. I still think that was mostly due to Rex and our defensive ineptitude but it is not like he has been a stud both years. He was amazing his first season and has all the physical tools to be a great corner. I'm guessing some of it had to do with McDermott being more of a zone defensive schemer and Darby translating better in man coverage due to his athleticism. 

People bash the Rams for not having a legit WR and now they have one and people still bash them lol. Haters!!!! I love the fit for Watkins in McVay offense. He will take the top off defenses and get respected where teams won't lock on Gurley all game. Meanwhile let Kupp and Woods work short to intermediate and let Everett and Higbee work in the middle and down the seams. Not to mention Tavon who will make splash plays to keep defenses having to keep him in their minds on jet sweeps among other plays. This Rams offense just became more exciting. 

Everybody acting like Sammy Watkins was as good as his draft position.  He wasn't.  He's played in 37/48 games, he's flashed more diva potential than HOF potential, and he's had 17 touchdowns.  And don't give me, "He's had a horrible QB," so what?  In his second year, Calvin Johnson had 78 receptions, 1300 yards and 12 touchdowns with Culpepper, Henson, Orlovsky and Stanton at QB.  Hopkins had 1200 yard and 1500 yard seasons without anybody.  From a production standpoint, Jordan Matthews is better than Sammy Watkins.  From a diva mentality, Matthews is better than Watkins.  From a health standpoint Matthews is better than Watkins. 

The Bills have gotten better production and health, less whining at the WR position.
Consider it a wash at CB.
A second and third round pick.

When you're rebuilding a team, the last thing you want is a receiver who's gonna tell you how to rebuild and act out.  The Bills aren't in it for this season, and they're building a hell of a lot of draft capital for next year.  They're going to have two first round draft picks, 2 second rounders and 2 third round picks.  The Rams pick is going to be a considerably high second round pick.

Bills came out ahead in this one all things considered. 

Goff's got ---> Watkins, Woods, Kupp, Everett, Gurley, Tavon Austin, and Mcvay  Calling plays /// and an O-Line of Whitworth-Saffold-Sullivan-Havenstein-Brown

The weapons are good, if Watkins stays healthy he'll make everyone else better. The O-Line is still spotty, especially when it comes to running the ball. They better hope Goff pans out....

Archived