Bills Trade WR Sammy Watkins To the Rams

HTTRDynasty

3 hours ago, khodder said:

But sadly, nobody to get them the football. 

Biggest thing for me is how they plan to keep Watkins around after this season - Tag would seem very expensive and if he has another middling season do you invest long term?

Goff is going to make a lot of people eat crow.

33 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Now that Jeff is gone and we've already got the top five pick I'll say I hope so. But there has now been enough iinvested in the skill positions for the supporting cast excuse to be thrown out the window if he struggles again.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

We'll see. He can't be any worse than last year but I'm gonna have to see it first. Camp quotes and solid practices won't change anything. 

He certainly has some solid weapons now and if he can't show up this year and at least look like he's improved and on the right track this will be franchise crippling. 

3 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

I hate it for the Bills, who downgraded at both CB and WR.

I dont think CB is really a downgrade. Darby did not fit with what they wanted to do on defense and had a porous year last season. He really didn't have a place in Buffalo despite being the more talented of the two CB in question. Really I view it as a wash between to two when you take everything into account. 

On the other end, they certainly downgraded at WR, but they also clearly had no intention of resigning Watkins at the end of the season. They did well to get good picks back for a guy they werent going to keep anyways. 

6 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I dont think CB is really a downgrade. Darby did not fit with what they wanted to do on defense and had a porous year last season. He really didn't have a place in Buffalo despite being the more talented of the two CB in question. Really I view it as a wash between to two when you take everything into account. 

On the other end, they certainly downgraded at WR, but they also clearly had no intention of resigning Watkins at the end of the season. They did well to get good picks back for a guy they werent going to keep anyways. 

Honestly, that's how I see this for the Bills.   They had zero intention of keeping Watkins at his price.  Darby's a complete misfit for their scheme.   So they ended up getting 2 more picks in a very deep draft, and the Rams 2nd rounder is likely a top 5 pick in Rd 2.   Hard to argue their direction, they are not legit 2017 contenders.  

I don't like the Rams side because if Watkins can't get healthy, he's a bust.  And if he does do well, they have to commit big $ - his expensive years are coming.  So it's all risk and little reward IMO (sure if he's elite, then it's worth it, but the $ hit next year takes a lot of the benefit away, if he's only very good).

The one Rams beneficiary is Kayvon Webster, now gets to show his wares as a starter in a D scheme he is familiar with coming over from DEN with Phillips.  Good for him.

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Honestly, that's how I see this for the Bills.   They had zero intention of keeping Watkins at his price.  Darby's a complete misfit for their scheme.   So they ended up getting 2 more picks in a very deep draft, and the Rams 2nd rounder is likely a top 5 pick in Rd 2.   Hard to argue their direction, they are not legit 2017 contenders.  

I don't like the Rams side because if Watkins can't get healthy, he's a bust.  And if he does do well, they have to commit big $ - his expensive years are coming.  So it's all risk and little reward IMO (sure if he's elite, then it's worth it, but the $ hit next year takes a lot of the benefit away, if he's only very good).

The one Rams beneficiary is Kayvon Webster, now gets to show his wares as a starter in a D scheme he is familiar with coming over from DEN with Phillips.  Good for him.

It's all risk and very little reward? Watkins was a top 5 pick. When he's been on the field, he's been an explosive playmaker. The risk is certainly there. That's his injury history. The reward is also clearly there. Watkins still has the ability to be one of the best WRs in football. He's only 24 years old. He's already flashed the ability to be special when healthy.

This is a risk/reward trade for the Rams. There's plenty of both in it. The Rams clearly don't care about paying Watkins if he stays healthy. If they had an issue with that, they wouldn't have traded for him.

As for Kayvon Webster, he was already the starter. That's why the Rams traded Gaines.

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's all risk and very little reward? Watkins was a top 5 pick. When he's been on the field, he's been an explosive playmaker. The risk is certainly there. That's his injury history. The reward is also clearly there. Watkins still has the ability to be one of the best WRs in football. He's only 24 years old. He's already flashed the ability to be special when healthy.

This is a risk/reward trade for the Rams. There's plenty of both in it. The Rams clearly don't care about paying Watkins if he stays healthy. If they had an issue with that, they wouldn't have traded for him.

As for Kayvon Webster, he was already the starter. That's why the Rams traded Gaines.

Part of being the 5 pick's value though is that you get the first 4 years at a bargain.  That's not the case here.   Instead you end up having to commit to market level prices next year.  That's why the reward isn't as high.    They get this year as a ultra-great return year...but then it's either the franchise tag, or major $.    That's where the reward isn't nearly as high, production related to cost always has to factor into the reward equation.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Part of being the 5 pick's value though is that you get the first 4 years at a bargain.  That's not the case here.   Instead you end up having to commit to market level prices next year.  That's why the reward isn't as high.    They get this year as a ultra-great return year...but then it's either the franchise tag, or major $.    That's where the reward isn't nearly as high, production related to cost always has to factor into the reward equation.

The reward is his upside. You're not just taking a player in the top 5 for his rookie contract. You're also backtracking a bit on what you're saying:

"So it's all risk and little reward IMO (sure if he's elite, then it's worth it, but the $ hit next year takes a lot of the benefit away, if he's only very good)."

You said there was "little reward" in grabbing Watkins. Yet, Watkins is still one of the most physically talented WRs in the NFL. He's also not lacking in skill. I bet many people on this site would have argued before 2016 that Watkins would soon be considered a top 10 WR in the NFL.

There's plenty of reward for the Rams in this trade. They're still getting a WR who has the potential to be one of the best in the NFL if he ever manages to stay healthy. I don't care if it means we have to pay him. We've been looking for a #1 WR for years. If Watkins is that guy, I'm happy to pay him, and I'm sure the Rams feel the same way. This is a risk/reward trade. And there's plenty of both available.

Plus, if you know McVay's scheme, you know how valuable a guy like Watkins is in the scheme and how much we needed him. Watkins is a potential game-changer for the entire offense if he stays healthy. That's the "if" in the deal. I have my doubts, but if he does stay healthy, the Rams will look awfully smart.

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The reward is his upside. You're not just taking a player in the top 5 for his rookie contract. You're also backtracking a bit on what you're saying:

"So it's all risk and little reward IMO (sure if he's elite, then it's worth it, but the $ hit next year takes a lot of the benefit away, if he's only very good)."

You said there was "little reward" in grabbing Watkins. Yet, Watkins is still one of the most physically talented WRs in the NFL. He's also not lacking in skill. I bet many people on this site would have argued before 2016 that Watkins would soon be considered a top 10 WR in the NFL.

There's plenty of reward for the Rams in this trade. They're still getting a WR who has the potential to be one of the best in the NFL if he ever manages to stay healthy. I don't care if it means we have to pay him. We've been looking for a #1 WR for years. If Watkins is that guy, I'm happy to pay him, and I'm sure the Rams feel the same way. This is a risk/reward trade. And there's plenty of both available.

Plus, if you know McVay's scheme, you know how valuable a guy like Watkins is in the scheme and how much we needed him. Watkins is a potential game-changer for the entire offense if he stays healthy. That's the "if" in the deal. I have my doubts, but if he does stay healthy, the Rams will look awfully smart.

@jrry32 I totally get your point on talent - but I always factor in cost when it comes to production.  If I didn't say it before, then I get why you think it's a backtrack - but you asked why I said what I did, so there it is.   Cost matters.   You say you don't care if you have to pay him - but it does matter to your team's chances to be good.  There are only 3-4 guys you can pay top $ on most teams, you need to find gains in value overall.  Frankly, that's Denver's current problem, after several years of finding that value to go with 3-4 highly paid guys, we've hit a dry spell completely in 2016, and our cap situation requires us to find those same values.   

It would be silly to argue there's no reward on talent payoff alone - no argument there.   But given how much the Rams have to commit to him after this year, the reward in terms of value goes way down IMO.   FWIW, I get why the Rams have to do this trade if they want to move forward on O - Goff & McVay need a guy like this.   The risk is just way, way higher than the potential return once you have to commit huge $ to him IMO.  We don't have to agree, just how I see it.  Time will tell.

Archived