Bills Trade WR Sammy Watkins To the Rams

HTTRDynasty

48 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I remember how happy i was when we drafted Sammy, he was the unanimous best receiver in a loaded class and I thought he was going to be a top 5 receiver no doubt. The kid is special when he plays, but it's just so frustrating that he can't stay healthy, whether it's a foot, or a hamstring. I'm rooting for him because I always root for that kind of talent, but Rams fans do yourself a favor and only count on 12 games from him and anything more is a blessing.

That's the rub. If he were able to stay healthy, he wouldn't be available. I think all of us Rams fans are hoping that he turns out like Julio or Stafford. Struggle staying healthy early in his career, but he gets it together after his first few years. But we recognize the risk, and I can't lie and say that I am confident that Sammy will stay healthy.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

That's the rub. If he were able to stay healthy, he wouldn't be available. I think all of us Rams fans are hoping that he turns out like Julio or Stafford. Struggle staying healthy early in his career, but he gets it together after his first few years. But we recognize the risk, and I can't lie and say that I am confident that Sammy will stay healthy.

This is why I've warmed up to the trade. I hate trading a talent like that but getting back a 2nd round pick (along with Matthews even though it was a seperate trade) makes me very ok with this given the risks. If it wasn't a walk year I'd be a lot more upset.

I don't remember this kind of health criticism of Julio Jones going into his 4th year. I get Sammy missed half of last year but he played more games than Julio in his first 3 years. I get the Rams are taking a risk it just seems a lot more is being said about his injuries than other guys have gotten.

23 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The Rams are in a unique position because our QB will be on the rookie wage scale for a few more years. We can afford to pay a guy like Sammy. For the Rams, cost is a secondary concern. We have the money. If Watkins is worth extending, he just keeps us from spending it on a different WR in FA.

You also are missing 2 3rd rounders, 2 2nd rounders, and a 1st rounder on rookie wage scale money and are paying Goff more than $7M/year, so there was only about $13-18M of possible savings that gives you.

I wouldn't argue that the Rams have a bunch of money to burn.

Never liked Sammy Watkins in Buffalo. Seems like when you put Florida guys(born in Florida) on those really "cold teams" never do that great or more tend bust then not. 

LA is a great place for Sammy. I still think he has potential to. 

I like what Buffalo is doing to, if its not working out, just move on, its usually the best move. The really smart GM's abandon projects that our going south with out hesitation, one of the reason the Patriots are always so successful, they take on project players all the time, but they don't ever get hung up on them , as soon as it goes south on them, that guy is gone. 

I love this move for the Rams. Sure, they give up what will likely be a top 45 pick for an injury prone contract-year WR, but for the sake of ensuring Jared Goff has ample opportunity to grow into the player they need him to be, they had to provide him with a legitimate weapon. Not only that, they had to provide their other franchise cornerstone, Todd Gurley, some breathing room in the run game by acquiring a player who will force defenses to respect the deep ball. No one previously on the Rams challenged defenses deep. 

Goff now has very few excuses not to show marked improvement in his second season. 

5 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You also are missing 2 3rd rounders, 2 2nd rounders, and a 1st rounder on rookie wage scale money and are paying Goff more than $7M/year, so there was only about $13-18M of possible savings that gives you.

I wouldn't argue that the Rams have a bunch of money to burn.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/los-angeles-rams

We have plenty of financial flexibility.

7 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

I don't remember this kind of health criticism of Julio Jones going into his 4th year. I get Sammy missed half of last year but he played more games than Julio in his first 3 years. I get the Rams are taking a risk it just seems a lot more is being said about his injuries than other guys have gotten.

Oh it was there. Sammy has played more games through 3 years but hasn't matched Julio's production (Julio did have 8 more targets to get the extra production but I doubt that would account for about 300 yards a 3 TD). If Sammy gets 1500+ yards this year the injury talk will fade, if he follows that with a year where he is flirting with 2000 yards he will be where Julio is.

1 hour ago, coors said:

It's hard to know what Sammy Watkins even is right now. We don't know what he looks like healthy for a season. Everything we though about him coming out just hasn't come close to panning out. 

Tbh he's not even 100% right now and it's shows with his route running and breaking of his routes. That foot might not hold up 

1 hour ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Tbh he's not even 100% right now and it's shows with his route running and breaking of his routes. That foot might not hold up 

The flashes that he showed at Clemson as a freshman was just out of this world. 

42 minutes ago, jalopy jamoke said:

Watkins is going to make Goff a lot better, but I don't see the rams getting a winning record, 5 and 11 from what I can see.

I bet they will have 7 or 8 close games and be competitive all year. if Goff continues improving.

Snead isn't keeping his job with at least 7/8 wins. No way he will.

7 hours ago, jalopy jamoke said:

Watkins is going to make Goff a lot better, but I don't see the rams getting a winning record, 5 and 11 from what I can see.

I bet they will have 7 or 8 close games and be competitive all year. if Goff continues improving.

continues? He needs to actually start improving.

Archived