Eagles Trade WR Jordan Matthews to Buffalo for CB Ronald Darby

HTTRDynasty

1 minute ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Do you guys really think Darby was that good? His first year he was good at covering #2's last year he was burnt toast. He's nothing special I promise you. 

Not saying anything we got is but I like this trade for the Bills.

The Sammy one pisses me off because of his ceiling but when he's hobbled in week three I'll feel better.

Ok, was unaware that Darby regressed that much. 

1 minute ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

It's sad because after his rookie year I thought he was well on his way to being a top 10 CB. Things can change I guess but he wasn't good last year at all.

I was very high on him when he came out of FSU. Wonder if he's scheme limited or not.

Eagles acquired CB Ronald Darby from the Bills in exchange for WR Jordan Matthews and a 2018 third-round pick.

The Eagles were clearly ready to move on from Matthews, so using him to acquire a talented, young corner with two years left on his deal looks like a no-brainer. Outstanding as a rookie, Darby had a bit of a downturn last season, but he is still easily the best corner the Eagles have on the roster and upgrades what already looked like a stout defense. If Sidney Jones is able to fully come back from his Achilles' injury, the Eagles could have a solid corner duo for years to come.

His rookie year was under Jim Schwartz 

The thing is, Schwartz's wide 9 is perfect for Darby's skill set.   Creating pressure from the front 7, they don't need elite skill, just aggressive CB's.   I think he's a great fit for the Wide 9 Schwartz scheme.

And remember, he's cheap for 2 more years - where PHI clearly didn't want to commit for more years or more $ to J-Matthews.   The 3rd round pick is pricey only if Darby cant' be a viable top-2 CB in the system.  If he's their best CB, then that's a great price.   

Realistically, BUF isn't strong enough to contend, so going away from Watkins, and getting J-Matthews instead, and saving all that $, and then getting Gaines from the other deal, and netting a likely top-5 2nd round pick, and a 3rd rounder, is a fantastic day for BUF's long-term planning.

Sometimes both sides can win - if you want a loser, I'd say LAR are the guys on the outside, PHI & BUF both got what they wanted from the 2-deal combo.

Just now, marshawn lynch said:

No one knows. His rookie year he was a star. But last year he was pretty bad. Maybe it was just a sophmore slump but who knows

Didn't he have a lingering hamstring issue the entire year last season?

Really liked him coming out and thought the Bills got an absolute steal in the 2nd round. Shocked they're giving up on him....

Archived