Eagles Trade WR Jordan Matthews to Buffalo for CB Ronald Darby

HTTRDynasty

9 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Why would they get rid of Darby?

He's not part of the new regime, maybe doesn't fit the scheme that the new HC has in mind.

More likely, the GM did the Darby deal to get Watkins' replacement, where he wanted to get cheaper, and younger, and more picks. 

To be honest, BUF needed this - they have 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds next year.  And they unloaded $, and don't have the headache of what to do with Watkins extension wise (the scariest decision around, given his injury risk).  I don't think the Darby deal happens without unloading Sammy first.  But once it, did, this made a lot more sense.  Gaines may not replace Darby, or even come close, but J-Matt is a lot cheaper, and likely cheaper to extend, and they got 2 more Day 2 picks.    I can totally see why they did this.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

He's not part of the new regime, maybe doesn't fit the scheme that the new HC has in mind.

More likely, the GM did the Darby deal to get Watkins' replacement, where he wanted to get cheaper, and younger, and more picks. 

To be honest, BUF needed this - they have 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds next year.  And they unloaded $, and don't have the headache of what to do with Watkins extension wise (the scariest decision around, given his injury risk).  I don't think the Darby deal happens without unloading Sammy first.  But once it, did, this made a lot more sense.  Gaines may not replace Darby, or even come close, but J-Matt is a lot cheaper, and likely cheaper to extend, and they got 2 more Day 2 picks.    I can totally see why they did this.

But Watkins is a year younger than Jordan Matthews..... and Darby is two years younger than Gaines. They got cheaper and more picks sure. But definitely also got older with less potential.

25 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

But Watkins is a year younger than Jordan Matthews..... and Darby is two years younger than Gaines. They got cheaper and more picks sure. But definitely also got older with less potential.

The picks though make them younger and cheaper overall in the long term given Day 2 picks are locks to make the team.  They were in the 20's rank-wise in team age last year IIRC.   6 picks in the first 3 rounds has a huge impact on turning over the roster age wise and improving cap health.   Which  BUF needs  realistically they aren't contenders this year.  The fact they don't have to spend as much to keep Matthews nor commit as much guaranteed $ vs. the risk Sammy carries this makes it a no brainer IMO.

Dont get me wrong I like Darby a lot but the Watkins deal drives this deal.  Without it I don't like it.  With it I see the reasoning.  

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

It's Darby that I'm thinking. This time last season he was seen as a guy about to break into the top 10 discussion. Giving up on him this early?

Darby is a solid player but I don't think he was quite close to top 10. I heard he might not be a fit for that defense so idk.

Just now, ttitansfan4life said:

Darby is a solid player but I don't think he was quite close to top 10. I heard he might not be a fit for that defense so idk.

Yeah - the more I hear it, the more it seems like he was a man cover guy in a heavy zone scheme. 

Might as well get something out of him in that sense, and Matthews + 3rd isn't TOO bad.

42 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Didn't he have a lingering hamstring issue the entire year last season?

Really liked him coming out and thought the Bills got an absolute steal in the 2nd round. Shocked they're giving up on him....

I dont think we are giving up on him. Im sure we still liked him. But when we added Gaines that made him expandle to find a replacement for Sammy.

Individually both the trades make little sense. But together you can see we added high draft picks by taking slight downgrades for this year.

Plus we know Matthews can play an entire year unlike Watkins

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:
3 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:
15 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Can we have Shady back?

QFT.

Don't like Blount???????????

He ain't Shady man...need that shiftiness back in my life in a non-tiny person (no disrespect Sprolesy)

Archived