Eagles Trade WR Jordan Matthews to Buffalo for CB Ronald Darby

HTTRDynasty

On 8/11/2017 at 10:48 AM, TheKillerNacho said:

Why would they get rid of Darby?

I read in an article they want more length at CB but that makes no sense with them adding White in the 1st since they're similar in size.

If I were to guess: they want to clean house and they know his value is at its highest.  He regressed after his rookie season and he's young enough to bounce back so a team will take a shot on him.  They got decent return on him if Matthews pans out for them.  Maybe Darby and the coaching staff weren't a great match personality wise or scheme wise.  Most likely a combo of some of these ideas

1 minute ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I read in an article they want more length at CB but that makes no sense with them adding White in the 1st since they're similar in size.

If I were to guess: they want to clean house and they know his value is at its highest.  He regressed after his rookie season and he's young enough to bounce back so a team will take a shot on him.  They got decent return on him if Matthews pans out for them.  Maybe Darby and the coaching staff weren't a great match personality wise or scheme wise.  Most likely a combo of some of these ideas

FWIW White may be similar in size but his profile is seen as perfect for a zone scheme.  Darby's more comfortable in man, and Schwartz's wide 9 definitely calls for that.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW White may be similar in size but his profile is seen as perfect for a zone scheme.  Darby's more comfortable in man, and Schwartz's wide 9 definitely calls for that.

True, I do like the fit of Darby and Schwartz.  Seriously wonder what could have happened if Buffalo went hard after Gase or an offensive guy instead of Ryan and held onto Schwartz as DC/AHC

Just now, Silver&Black88 said:

True, I do like the fit of Darby and Schwartz.  Seriously wonder what could have happened if Buffalo went hard after Gase or an offensive guy instead of Ryan and held onto Schwartz as DC/AHC

Since Ryan took a top 5 D with personnel completed unsuited to his 3-4 D and then trainwrecked the personnel to get older, and less successful, hard to see any worse outcome than what transpired.

Still, the current regime, my concerns on any HC having full personnel control notwithstanding (rarely works, BB/Pats notable exception), seem to have a clear direction and commitment to rebuilding, and I can't fault their Draft Day decisions.    That org seems to be on the right track, with a clear direction and commitment.  Those orgs tend to succeed more than the back-and-forth, all-over-the-place orgs.

I like this trade for the Eagles.  This is a team that desperately needed cornerback help and they did not do enough to address the position in the draft.  Meanwhile, at the receiver position, they had signed Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith and then drafted Mack Hollins. 

1 minute ago, Crickett said:

I like this trade for the Eagles.  This is a team that desperately needed cornerback help and they did not do enough to address the position in the draft.  Meanwhile, at the receiver position, they had signed Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith and then drafted Mack Hollins. 

Again, I think the slot WR in PHI isn't nearly as important with Ertz's emergence once he regained his health, and developed chemistry with Wentz.   Ertz was the most-targeted TE in 2H 2016.  Obviously, Jeffery upgrades the outside WR position, and Smith gives them another vertical threat, but I think the Eagles realized J-Matthews fit overlapped more with Ertz than needed, and the opportunity to upgrade their biggest weakness was a no-brainer.

Our corners are awful, so while I dislike the fact we have no day 2 picks next year, this trade was worth it. We have plenty of guys to play the slot and actually a good competition for the middle and bottom WR spots. Our WR corps is good now, and we weren't paying Matthews next year. So while I don't love it, I like it for the Eaglese 

The 2 trades combined I love for the Bills. 

Watkins is more talented but so what if he can't stay healthy? Matthews is good player

30 minutes ago, MemphisEagles said:

Our corners are awful, so while I dislike the fact we have no day 2 picks next year, this trade was worth it.

Have to say, upon hearing this, I absolutely LOVE this trade for completely unbiased reasons. :D

14 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Allen Robinson had 201-2800-22. I feel like those numbers arent terribly difficult in this NFL

Agreed.    

Just seems like a way to make Jordan Matthews seem better than he is.    Not a bad player, mind you, but he clearly isnt anywhere close to any of the players listed there with him in that post.

Archived