Next Year's Draft

mwalker

I know there have ben a few threads about the '19 draft, so apologies, for adding another.
I also know we can't predict who will rise, fall, etc. but damn, I sure do love me some Devin White, ILB, LSU.
He'll likely be gone before we pick, but he and Devin Bush, Michigan, are really exciting players.

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

well we are going to be picking 32 so it’s a tough one to pick but i’d like ILB help or even take a run at a corner if a top-20 slides down the board

The Patriots usually like to trade BACK into the 2nd Rd, not up in to the teens...that would cost them a pretty penny to move from 32 that far up. Are you a soothsayer? Knowing somehow we are going to want to trade back to 32 next draft? :P

I think the secondary will be a plus this year.  They are 4 deep (Haden, Burns, Hilton, Sutton) in good CB and Allen has shown promise.  If Davis does well at FS then safety will be solid for a while.

OLB and OT are thin.  They will need a ILB in the 1st 2 rounds.  Bostic is only temporary.  If Keion Adams makes the team ( he has shown great flashes at OLB) then it will ease the need for OLB ( if Dupree and Watt step up).

So ILB, RB, OLB, WR, OT, OL

16 hours ago, jebrick said:

I think the secondary will be a plus this year.  They are 4 deep (Haden, Burns, Hilton, Sutton) in good CB and Allen has shown promise.  If Davis does well at FS then safety will be solid for a while.

OLB and OT are thin.  They will need a ILB in the 1st 2 rounds.  Bostic is only temporary.  If Keion Adams makes the team ( he has shown great flashes at OLB) then it will ease the need for OLB ( if Dupree and Watt step up).

That's a HUGE 'if'; so far, he has not provided me, personally, any confidence that he's our answer at FS moving forward. I hope that changes this year, but I don't think it will; I think we made another 'Steeler-2nd-Rd-Flop'. We've been doing better as late, with Bell, Juju, and Tuitt, but so far, Davis has not impressed with the chances he's been given; plus, he's listed as a SS in the first Depth Chart, which doesn't mean much, I know, but it might mean they are planning on using him more in the box on 1st/2nd down, and letting Burnett play 'Centerfield' instead, as Butler recently alluded.

I agree with your first two positions listed, but I would put CB and FS, and TE, as well, before WR or OL.

I disagree on CB.  Even if Burns does not become a shutdown corner, Sutton is ready to step in.  This is as deep as I have seen their secondary in many many years.

Lets see how the season plays out with the new coaches.  I think people will be surprised how good the Dlinemen and DBs are with new coaches.

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

I disagree on CB.  Even if Burns does not become a shutdown corner, Sutton is ready to step in.  This is as deep as I have seen their secondary in many many years.

Lets see how the season plays out with the new coaches.  I think people will be surprised how good the Dlinemen and DBs are with new coaches.

I think Mitchell was living too much in the past. His 2 gapping 3-4 lines were formidable but it seemed he never fully embraced the transition the NFL had made.

On 8/6/2018 at 1:32 PM, jebrick said:

Add possibly TE if they wanna get away from Vance...no dead $$$ and save roughly $6 mill IIRC.

CB and OLB could  be a need because I expect both dupree and burns to be replaced. We will need new depth and or possible new starters. Right now , it could be said that we have some talent at CB, but OLB, we have Watt, and then question marks. If Adams steps up, good, but what if he gets hurt or if Watt gets hurt? No depth at OLB, and Adeniyi night be a PS player so to me OLB will be a need more than CB or S.  Of course, if we keep losing OL to injury, that could be considered as well.  

I don't know who will be in UFA, but that could help if we have the cap space. If they sign Bell, then we have to rely on draft picks, such as the minds that thought of picking jarvis, dupree, burns :S

Archived