Is Winston Moss on his way out of Green Bay

OneTwoSixFive

22 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

When was the last time you saw such awful press conferences, and in this case, two of them. You might be comfortable with having him around the team, I am not.  As McCarthy has publicly stated, the most important skill a coach can have, is being a good teacher. To be a good teacher you must be a good communicator, end of story.

I maintain (as I did before), that Moss is either gone in a month, or if the Packers soldier on with him (because it is much harder to replace a coach at this time with a competent one - and a new one wouldn't know the system), then I don't see him lasting after the season has ended and the next coach carousel opens.

Assuming a coach treats his players the same as media members is one of the worst assumptions I've ever seen. 

I said "As McCarthy has publicly stated, the most important skill a coach can have, is being a good teacher. To be a good teacher you must be a good communicator, end of story."

You said - "Assuming a coach treats his players the same as media members is one of the worst assumptions I've ever seen. "

Really - one of THE WORST ASSUMPTIONS I'VE EVER SEEN'. I take it you haven't seen much then, or anything at all. Or are you over-egging the pudding by putting a battery farms whole supply into one.

What I gave you was a simple requirement of a good teacher, and a suggestion that in my opinion his attitude would result in him being cut free either in a month, or (because of the difficulties of getting a new coach up to speed at this critical time) at least before next season.. YOU made the leap that suggested he treated his players the same.

I said his attitude is unacceptable - you think it's fine. We will agree to differ on this one.

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I said "As McCarthy has publicly stated, the most important skill a coach can have, is being a good teacher. To be a good teacher you must be a good communicator, end of story."

You said - "Assuming a coach treats his players the same as media members is one of the worst assumptions I've ever seen. "

Really - one of THE WORST ASSUMPTIONS I'VE EVER SEEN'. I take it you haven't seen much then, or anything at all. Or are you over-egging the pudding by putting a battery farms whole supply into one.

What I gave you was a simple requirement of a good teacher, and a suggestion that in my opinion his attitude would result in him being cut free either in a month, or (because of the difficulties of getting a new coach up to speed at this critical time) at least before next season.. YOU made the leap that suggested he treated his players the same.

I said his attitude is unacceptable - you think it's fine. We will agree to differ on this one.

The only way he's let go is if he's a bad coach. Mac doesn't care about his presser performance. So by saying "his bad attitude is going to get him fired" you are assuming the bad attitude he showed the media carries over to his players and fellow coaches. Otherwise he's in no danger of being let go.

15 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Football coach is surly, ill mannered, *** hole. Shocked

He behaved like every defensive front 7 coach I've ever had would in front of the media. That is a job that behaves differently from basically any role outside of the military or football coaching from a professional standpoint. It's a character and a flavor that you need on a football team. If you go digging under rocks of every NFL team, you're going to find this sort of behavior. They live in a different world than almost any of us.

I like that flavor, I really do, Mike Daniels is a great example of this. But character? I don't know how you want THIS type of character on this team. You want mean guys on that side of the ball sure, but the rest of the coaches that bring that mean streak on that side of the ball look like they actually give a crap, they  give well thought out answers. This guy just looks like he's drunk or high, doesn't care , long pauses, it was very strange PC that doesn't lead me to believe this is the norm. I'm not worried this is effecting the team or anything, I just like my coaches like Pettine or Joe Whitt who bring the passion, mean streak, and Intellectual side to the game. Moss just rubs me the wrong way, and Im glad he's just a position coach.

55 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I like that flavor, I really do, Mike Daniels is a great example of this. But character? I don't know how you want THIS type of character on this team. You want mean guys on that side of the ball sure, but the rest of the coaches that bring that mean streak on that side of the ball look like they actually give a crap, they  give well thought out answers. This guy just looks like he's drunk or high, doesn't care , long pauses, it was very strange PC that doesn't lead me to believe this is the norm. I'm not worried this is effecting the team or anything, I just like my coaches like Pettine or Joe Whitt who bring the passion, mean streak, and Intellectual side to the game. Moss just rubs me the wrong way, and Im glad he's just a position coach.

Tribalistic, dismissive and/or openly hostile to outsider's opinion. Carrying a chip on his shoulder because of a minor slight (reports of him getting fired) and trying to foster an "Us vs The World" mentality.

That's an Inside Linebackers coach. Man's not a kindergarden teacher.

42 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Tribalistic, dismissive and/or openly hostile to outsider's opinion. Carrying a chip on his shoulder because of a minor slight (reports of him getting fired) and trying to foster an "Us vs The World" mentality.

You can have that opinion, not hostile to it at all. I just didn't agree that his character the way he was acting was good for the team.

I also never expected him to be a kindergarten teacher, if he was  he wouldn t be a football coach. But that's a very bad way to deal with a chip on his shoulder from a report too if that's what it's about, coaches get those reports  all the time. 

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Thank you. I'm glad Winston Moss seems like an a-hole, that should be one of the job requirements for a LBs coach.

No his behavior in those pressers is unacceptable.  Total jackass.  Rubs me the wrong way.  Fans deserve better than this.  He needs to clean up his act it isn't going to wash in GB.  Who the hell does this guy think he is?  I won't shed a tear for this guy if he's shipped out.  He seriously pissed me off.  The Packers should not of even posted these pressers on their site.  It's an embarrassment to the organization.

18 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

No his behavior in those pressers is unacceptable.  Total jackass.  Rubs me the wrong way.  Fans deserve better than this.  He needs to clean up his act it isn't going to wash in GB.  Who the hell does this guy think he is?  I won't shed a tear for this guy if he's shipped out.  He seriously pissed me off.  The Packers should not of even posted these pressers on their site.  It's an embarrassment to the organization.

I'm going to give you an 8/10 in the "Caricature of a Stereotypical Baby Boomer" impression contest.

You covered all of the entitled, whiny, and dramatic, just needs a little bit more subtle-not-subtle racism. Surely you could have worked in something about how Joe Whitt is a surprisingly good public speaker but Moss clearly doesn't have it in him?

38 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm going to give you an 8/10 in the "Caricature of a Stereotypical Baby Boomer" impression contest.

As a baby boomer I have to say it is not that good of an impression.

We are old enough now that we don't have the energy to get this concerned about a press conference.  Now get off my lawn.

More seriously, Moss has been an assistant head coach for a long time, but has never gotten a job as a coordinator or head coach.  There likely is a reason for that, and lack of ability in front of the press may be a significant part of it.  I don't remember him doing this many pressers in the past, and I don't think any of it reflects on his ability as a coach.  If you watch his speech accepting induction into the University of Miami hall of fame, he clearly was reading a script, and really wasn't good at that.  

I just don't see this as a huge issue.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You covered all of the entitled, whiny, and dramatic, just needs a little bit more subtle-not-subtle racism. Surely you could have worked in something about how Joe Whitt is a surprisingly good public speaker but Moss clearly doesn't have it in him?

Racism?  Really going to play that card?  Maybe you should look in the mirror.  Race has nothing to do with it really can't believe you even went there.  Entitled?  No not entitled by any means.  The guy acted like a jackass why is that so difficult for you to understand?  Should I just give him a pass because of the color of his skin is that what you are suggesting?

I don't know . . . maybe Winston Moss is not that bad.  Maybe he's great.

What if Biegel is the one who just isn't that great?

What if Biegel is barely worth a spot on the roster, and only worth it because Biegel is working for peanuts on a squad with no LB alternative?  Maybe Moss, with his own heart perpetually drowning year after year in samsara, the sea of sadness, watches Biegel working hard every single day, straining against the boundaries of human endurance.  Maybe Moss, watching through tears of pity, knows Biegel is doing Biegel's very, very best.

Maybe Moss knows that Biegel will never satisfy the expectations set by premature, reckless media stories sold to us, the desperate, emotionally starving masses.  We are famished, craving the slightest savor of some new football hope rising from a season too far in the future to really see.  And all the while, we cannot feel the warmth, or see the vivid cerulean skies; we cannot be one with the verdant saturation of the summer we should all be enjoying with our families, our loved ones, our prostitutes, and our divorce attorneys.

But maybe Moss sees clearly that the very best Biegel is not the NFL Biegel promised by our websites and newspapers and forums; instead, the best Biegel is the Biegel who, four years from now, will be teaching high school history, and with pride Biegel will tell his classroom that he played almost a full season with the Green Bay Packers.  And that Moss, the father Biegel never had, showed Biegel the way forward, how to be a good man.

Maybe Moss is protecting Biegel, and taking the hit himself from the press.

Or maybe Moss is just an Arse*, and I just like writing a post using the name "Biegel" as much as possible because I like bagels.

* - Arse is the technical term for a fan who chooses to support only the men's football club, "Arsenal F.C.," based in Islington, London, rather than to support both men's and women's clubs**.

** - Source needed

3 hours ago, Scoremore said:

#1 as a fan you deserve and are owed nothing from any sports team. (To save me from having to make post #2 please do not mention anything about fans owning the team).

#2 I can't believe the lack of ability to separate what's going on here. Is Moss being some sort of role model here or acting maturely or respectfully? No. He's being an ***. Yet he's the coach of a violent game at a position where you absolutely need to have a bit of crazy in you to succeed at. All of you must've been QBs or WRs when you played football. The DL and LBs, they're a different breed man, and the coach who's assigned to them usually is cut from that same cloth. Now Moss wasn't always like this, but this off-season the media reported incorrectly that the Packers didn't want him back and have questioned his players to no end, so this is how he's decided to respond, who cares?

To reiterate: 1. Moss is an idiot to act this way whether its by design to act tough or he's just an idiot. Personally, I don't care which one it is. 2. He's an average LB coach which is why he's been stuck in GB and cant get a better gig elsewhere, another reason why I don't really care about him either way. 

Archived