OTA Observations

sp6488

MOD: Let's use this thread to discuss any observations from OTAs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't remember where we were discussing line configuration:

"Anthony Levine is still recovering from foot surgery, Harbaugh mentioned during his interview. It looks to me as if Wink Martindale’s defense will include regular dime looks and both Chuck Clark and Tony Jefferson were used in a variety of alignments."

https://russellstreetreport.com/2018/05/31/camp-notes/chris-moore-ota-best-hands/

What we assumed, but still reassuring none the less. 

Also this-

Good to hear. Ozzie's last draft pick, he has to be great right?

Interesting that they are actually considering moving Lewis to C.  I was skeptical that they would do it considering they preferred to sign Austin Howard last year instead of moving Lewis to RT

Also good to hear that Martindale is smart enough to try some of the abundant SSs we have as a dime linebacker instead of trying to shoehorn 2 LBs into every line-up

Everything is exciting outside of the actual games, I just pray we don't hear all this variety on defense and 4th quarters of games we go back to prevent safe calling. We have the depth this year to look fresh and fast on the field, Martindale just needs more rotation than we have ever had before.

Offensive line I'd like to see what Siragusa will bring to the table in his second year. Hopefully healthy and we will be very deep at the offensive line

4 hours ago, drd23 said:

Interesting that they are actually considering moving Lewis to C.  I was skeptical that they would do it considering they preferred to sign Austin Howard last year instead of moving Lewis to RT

Also good to hear that Martindale is smart enough to try some of the abundant SSs we have as a dime linebacker instead of trying to shoehorn 2 LBs into every line-up

They like him inside. RT isn’t an ideal fit for him. He’s better when he can play aggressive and maul. He doesn’t have the length to allow him to do that on the outside of the formation. He has to play quicker and with more finesse in that role.

"The Ravens had 86 pass attempts during the competitive portion of practice and had only three drops. Snead had eight grabs and rookie fifth-round pick Jordan Lasley had nine catches.

Lasley had a slower start in individual drills, mishandling a few passes during the warmup portion to practice. That early time of on-field work is often when players are specifically working on new elements of their technique, such as hand placement or body control, which can sometimes lead to miscues.

Engram and Offensive Coordinator Marty Mornhinweg both talked with Lasley at that point and he didn’t have a drop the rest of the day. He caught several passes cleanly over the next few periods, and turned upfield with a nice burst after the catch."

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/ravens-wide-receivers-have-strong-showing-in-otas

Worth watching: Rookie receiver Jordan Lasley has been impressive. He has dropped one or two passes, but for the most part has been consistent. Keep an eye on him.

Rookie tight end Hayden Hurst, the team’s No. 1 pick out of South Carolina, has great hands even on rainy days like Thursday. Mark Andrews, the other rookie tight end from Oklahoma, has been impressive as well. Hurst, though, has a presence about him on the field.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-ravens-observations-0601-story.html

The team site put Jordan Lasley's drops into perspective, something Hensley wasn't interested in doing...o.O.

This early season period hasn't offered any surprises so far. We expected Lasley to outperform his draft position, Joe to look the best he has in a while, and the corner group to look strong. Good and quiet start to the season, exactly what we need.

OTAs don't count for much in terms of projection to real games as we all know, but they certainly aren't without value. I love hearing about Flacco pushing the ball down the field. Programming him early will carry over into the season, knowing he hit on 50 bombs in camp can go a long way towards stopping the safety valve dependency illness that can creep up with Joe. This season could be the "Italian Bomber's" return, I'd enjoy feeding those dummies who pump the dull witted Flacco DPI narrative some gas. 

All of our injured players working back towards form is valuable too.

With the amount of plays with 2 rb's last year, it would certainly help if we had 3 runningbacks who can catch the ball. At best Buck Allen could take Woodheads role as well as some short yardage carries, where he seems to hit low enough and have some balance to get the extra yards. The key is how much we can use Dixon, as I would want him to be the primary runner and limit Collins carries - both to keep him fresh but also for the longevity. No need to push him if he already suffers from migraines.

Collins play making ability is too strong for him not to be the primary back. Dixon has a lot to prove on and off the field. He looks out of shape imo, and should occupy a power role in the committee early on. As the season goes on I can see him cutting into carries if he proves effective. We do need to watch Alex's workload and make sure lightning stays lightning, but ultimately the team will lean on him.

56 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Collins play making ability is too strong for him not to be the primary back. Dixon has a lot to prove on and off the field. He looks out of shape imo, and should occupy a power role in the committee early on. As the season goes on I can see him cutting into carries if he proves effective. We do need to watch Alex's workload and make sure lightning stays lightning, but ultimately the team will lean on him.

I guess its how you frame it, but your point about watching the workload and make sure he remains explosive was the point I was trying to make.

I feel like Collins running style is such that he doesn't necessarily need a ton of carries to be effective like some backs.  He breaks into/through the hole like he is shot out of a cannon and sort of has a violent explosiveness to him.  I'd be happy to see something like the following for per-game averages:

Collins 15-18 carries
Dixon 8-10 carries
Allen 4-6 carries

10 hours ago, sp6488 said:

I feel like Collins running style is such that he doesn't necessarily need a ton of carries to be effective like some backs.  He breaks into/through the hole like he is shot out of a cannon and sort of has a violent explosiveness to him.  I'd be happy to see something like the following for per-game averages:

Collins 15-18 carries
Dixon 8-10 carries
Allen 4-6 carries

Same amount of touches I thought makes sense.

Edit: In general, I would like to see us using Dixon and Collins more as the checkdown options compared to the short out/in routes from tight ends like Boyle and Williams. Get the ball to the explosive guys in those situations.

Archived