Rams Acquire Sammy Watkins

chris00cm

Well, at least the FO is going big or going home.  The Bills didn't pick up Sammy's 5th-year option, I don't believe, so that's not going to be something available to us.  And we do have a massive amount of cap-space this and next year, but if we don't get one of him or Aaron extended, this could look like a monumental swing and miss.  Have to think this doesn't bode well for Tavon.

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Well, at least the FO is going big or going home.  The Bills didn't pick up Sammy's 5th-year option, I don't believe, so that's not going to be something available to us.  And we do have a massive amount of cap-space this and next year, but if we don't get one of him or Aaron extended, this could look like a monumental swing and miss.  Have to think this doesn't bode well for Tavon.

Good point. Think this is Les Snead's swan song.

Additionally, there's no way anyone felt good about Woods/Kupp/Austin going into the season. Usually hate giving up valuable picks like that 2nd will be, but Watkins is an elite talent that is never available. I love the move.

15 minutes ago, chris00cm said:

Good point. Think this is Les Snead's swan song.

Additionally, there's no way anyone felt good about Woods/Kupp/Austin going into the season. Usually hate giving up valuable picks like that 2nd will be, but Watkins is an elite talent that is never available. I love the move.

I felt okay-but-not-great about it.  I think a #1 receiver can be both a benefit and a major crutch for a young developing QB, and it's far more complicated that just "getting a #1 WR type" than a lot of people think.  The example that everyone loves to use of late is Derek Carr, but even though Amari Cooper was drafted to be "Carr's guy" and he may well ascend to that this season, the vet Michael Crabtree has been far more influential in Carr's development and has been the more consistent target.  Similarly, look at Matthew Stafford, he really stagnated in his development until Megatron retired, because he had that crutch that he could just toss it up to without having to sweat too many of the mental aspects of quarterbacking.

So I did see some benefit in Goff having to learn to cope with a Honda Accord before being given the keys to street rod (so to speak), but like you said, this was one of those ultra-rare scenarios where you have the chance to get elite talent at a relative cut-rate.  And, which could be interesting, Watkins is more or less a veteran; he's no Reggie Wayne, but he's not totally dissimilar from being capable of being what Crabtree was to Carr, what I believe Decker will be to Mariota, etc.

It's a great move by the Rams. Watkins is young and elite and to get him for a 2nd round pick is great. I like Gaines but he won't be playing offense and scoring points. Watkins will. Snead/McVay are on the same page and they are doing everything to develop Goff to his full potential which is a Matt Ryan type of QB and Ryan has Julio to throw too. So Goff now having Watkins to throw too is the best news this entire offseason besides signing LT Whitworth whom is a top 10 LT in the NFL. 

So going into the season our weapons look like below:

Gurley

Watkins

Woods

Kupp

Tavon

Higbee

Everett

Is it just me or is that a group of YOUNG, TALENTED players? I see Tavon being used in the Chris Thompson role and then dumped after next season when his dead money hit goes from 20mil to 5mil (unless he restructures). Goff, we screwed you last year. We apologize. Hope this helps make up for it ;) 

Definitely a roll of the dice with his health. But with him on the field our offense is much more dangerous. We won't IMO miss Gaines at all. Downgrading our 2nd to a 6th will hurt if he isn't retained after the year but this could be a big signing even if it's just a year to help develop Goff. Love the roll of the dice, taking this chance is something Fisher never would have done and I like that Snead did this.

We gotta find a way to keep Watkins, and we have to hope he stays healthy. But if he does stay healthy, this is a great trade. He's exactly what we needed across from Woods. He can be our DeSean. Goff is going to shut a lot of people up this year.

I don't think the Rams gave up a 2nd round pick with no intention of  signing Watkins to a long term deal.

As for the foot issues, Watkins had the 2nd surgery which Julio Edelman and Dez all had. All of them are just fine. I'm focused on the chemistry Watkins and Goff will develop.

If I told you that the Rams would enter the 2017 season adding LT Whitworth, WR Kupp, WR Woods, WR Reynolds, TE Everett and the cherry on top WR Watkins, would anyone believe me? Like McVay did something in a few months for Goff that Fisher couldn't do for both Bradford and Goff and that get an elite LT Whitworth and an elite WR Watkins.

37 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I don't think the Rams gave up a 2nd round pick with no intention of  signing Watkins to a long term deal.

As for the foot issues, Watkins had the 2nd surgery which Julio Edelman and Dez all had. All of them are just fine. I'm focused on the chemistry Watkins and Goff will develop.

If I told you that the Rams would enter the 2017 season adding LT Whitworth, WR Kupp, WR Woods, WR Reynolds, TE Everett and the cherry on top WR Watkins, would anyone believe me? Like McVay did something in a few months for Goff that Fisher couldn't do for both Bradford and Goff and that get an elite LT Whitworth and an elite WR Watkins.

It's quite remarkable what the front office has done since making the move from fisher. They're making real football moves that actually make sense and don't leave you scratching your head.

Archived