Rams Acquire Sammy Watkins

chris00cm

Well it seems again that i'm the only one who hate this trade. 

First we gave up a potential 2nd high round pick for a WR who' gonna be costly for us if 

1) He's average, we lost our high pick for nothing

2) He's good but we have to either tag him or give him a big contract. Reminder we have to extend contract of several key player  ! Do we have enough money to do so ? 

And finally, i'm not a big fan of Watkins, he's a good possession WR but he's not so much of a playmaker. His YAC are very low although catch + 20 and 40 yards are high. 

So Watkins is a good weapon if Goff open his throw, if not, Watkins would be useless. 

For me, this trade is a waste, What to do with Austin ? He has a very high salary and if Kupp take the slot, Austin will be again a gadget player. But we already know Austin can't handle the X or Y position. There's no strategy whatsoever. If Snead thought of this earlier that Austin is not X or Y WR, then don't waste draft pick on Kupp or Reynolds. 

Fact was, this draft was deep in defense position, we needed DB help and we just draft a safety.... This is such a waste, every year we are not drafting position where strengh is there. 

Next year, there are gonna pretty descent WR in the draft but we won't draft one of them because of this move. This is sad. 

I'm starting to question Snead ability to make a descent roster...

Sweet move!  I like it! this is a good year for Sammy to break out to....

I'm really digging our WR depth at the moment.....the question is how many WR in total will we most likely keep going into the first game?  Watkins, Austin, Kupp, Woods, Reynolds, Spruce, Cooper, Cannon, Thomas.........not to mention Higbee and Everett!  If Goff can't do it I'm sure Mannion will...lots of talent to support our QB's.  Who do ya'll see us keeping/cutting? Rooting to keep Spruce on the team

I listen to GM Les Snead talk about the Watkins trade was discussed when the Bills decided not to pick up Watkins 5th year option and the Rams decided not to pick up Greg Robinson 5th year option. So this just didn't come out of left field.

The Bills played Watkins in the 1st preseason game and gave him a lot work just to show the Rams that he is good in terms of health wise. So I found that interesting.

Now coming out of that draft 2014 draft the Rams have Watkins and Donald. If they can sign both guys to long term deals, which I strongly think they will with both, how do you view things now? 

6 hours ago, Flounch said:

And finally, i'm not a big fan of Watkins, he's a good possession WR but he's not so much of a playmaker. His YAC are very low although catch + 20 and 40 yards are high. =

This is totally wrong. I know you won't believe, so give this a read:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/sammy-watkins?id=2543457

Watkins's biggest calling card is his speed. He's one of the top vertical threats in the NFL when healthy.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

This is totally wrong. I know you won't believe, so give this a read:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/sammy-watkins?id=2543457

Watkins's biggest calling card is his speed. He's one of the top vertical threats in the NFL when healthy.

Well that's a scouting report and i agree with his speed and all, as he has a high percentage of 20 and 40 yards + catch with the Bills. I don't deny this. 

However in my eyes, he's not a big playmaker. He knows how to catch and contest a catch. But as his poor YAC shows, he can't miss the tackle and running the field.  

If Goff can't throw downfield, Watkins speed and burst would be useless. 

12 hours ago, Flounch said:

Well it seems again that i'm the only one who hate this trade. 

First we gave up a potential 2nd high round pick for a WR who' gonna be costly for us if 

2) He's good but we have to either tag him or give him a big contract. Reminder we have to extend contract of several key player  ! Do we have enough money to do so ? 

And finally, i'm not a big fan of Watkins, he's a good possession WR but he's not so much of a playmaker. His YAC are very low although catch + 20 and 40 yards are high. 

So Watkins is a good weapon if Goff open his throw, if not, Watkins would be useless. 

For me, this trade is a waste, What to do with Austin ? He has a very high salary and if Kupp take the slot, Austin will be again a gadget player. But we already know Austin can't handle the X or Y position. There's no strategy whatsoever. If Snead thought of this earlier that Austin is not X or Y WR, then don't waste draft pick on Kupp or Reynolds. 

Fact was, this draft was deep in defense position, we needed DB help and we just draft a safety.... This is such a waste, every year we are not drafting position where strengh is there. 

Next year, there are gonna pretty descent WR in the draft but we won't draft one of them because of this move. This is sad. 

I'm starting to question Snead ability to make a descent roster...

1. Worst case scenario, the Rams receive a 3rd round comp pick.

2. Tavon Austin is not a reason to not acquire a receiver. 

10 minutes ago, Boboso20 said:

Tavon has to be on the way out which sucks since he just signed his deal last year. Anyone know the amount of $ we would eat?

I've looked it up a few times but forget. 

www.spotrac.com and www.overthecap.com are your friends.

17 hours ago, Flounch said:

Almost everything you said doesn't make much sense, but I'll focus in here. In what world is Sammy Watkins average? Has he been disappointing for where the bills took him (especially in front of Evans and Beckham)? Sure. Has he battled some injuries in this early part of his career? Yea. But in no way is he average. He has a stupid amount of talent, the prototype HWS receiver and one of the games most dangerous weapons when healthy. He is a true #1 weapon (the exact thing everyone was complaining we didn't have) so you are flat out wrong in that thinking. 

And as far as the compensation given up to get that #1 receiver, who cares if that means franchise tag money in 2018. It's a #1 guy. If we are bad again then it's like pick #35, again WHO CARES!!?? You aren't getting that talent anywhere close to the 2nd round. 

And what if we are good? Sammy is the weapon needed for Goff making McVays offense run and we sneak out the second Wild Card spot in the NFC. Then it's pick 50-something. And we gave up a fringe starter for a true #1 weapon. 

The only key to this trade is getting him signed long term. (And his health, but that's not under anyone's control)

3 hours ago, Boboso20 said:

Tavon has to be on the way out which sucks since he just signed his deal last year. Anyone know the amount of $ we would eat?

The only money left that could become guaranteed for his is his roster bonus that kicks in at the start of the next league year. So we can basically cut him free and clear after this season without paying him another penny (likely)

15 hours ago, chris00cm said:

1. Worst case scenario, the Rams receive a 3rd round comp pick.

2. Tavon Austin is not a reason to not acquire a receiver. 

If we had a 3rd round comp pick if he leaves then it's okay. 

10 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Almost everything you said doesn't make much sense, but I'll focus in here. In what world is Sammy Watkins average? Has he been disappointing for where the bills took him (especially in front of Evans and Beckham)? Sure. Has he battled some injuries in this early part of his career? Yea. But in no way is he average. He has a stupid amount of talent, the prototype HWS receiver and one of the games most dangerous weapons when healthy. He is a true #1 weapon (the exact thing everyone was complaining we didn't have) so you are flat out wrong in that thinking. 

And as far as the compensation given up to get that #1 receiver, who cares if that means franchise tag money in 2018. It's a #1 guy. If we are bad again then it's like pick #35, again WHO CARES!!?? You aren't getting that talent anywhere close to the 2nd round. 

And what if we are good? Sammy is the weapon needed for Goff making McVays offense run and we sneak out the second Wild Card spot in the NFC. Then it's pick 50-something. And we gave up a fringe starter for a true #1 weapon. 

The only key to this trade is getting him signed long term. (And his health, but that's not under anyone's control)

I don't think you read well. I said IF Watkins is average, i'm not saying he's average. But worst of case like Chris said, we would receive a 3rd if he leave. 

But i do care about Franchise tag Watkins as our situation with Cap room is very tight ! Also if we extend his contract, it's gonna cost us some goood money. 

We will see how it's gonna pan out but i'm not very excited by this. 

On 8/11/2017 at 1:54 PM, The LBC said:

I felt okay-but-not-great about it.  I think a #1 receiver can be both a benefit and a major crutch for a young developing QB, and it's far more complicated that just "getting a #1 WR type" than a lot of people think.  The example that everyone loves to use of late is Derek Carr, but even though Amari Cooper was drafted to be "Carr's guy" and he may well ascend to that this season, the vet Michael Crabtree has been far more influential in Carr's development and has been the more consistent target.  Similarly, look at Matthew Stafford, he really stagnated in his development until Megatron retired, because he had that crutch that he could just toss it up to without having to sweat too many of the mental aspects of quarterbacking.

So I did see some benefit in Goff having to learn to cope with a Honda Accord before being given the keys to street rod (so to speak), but like you said, this was one of those ultra-rare scenarios where you have the chance to get elite talent at a relative cut-rate.  And, which could be interesting, Watkins is more or less a veteran; he's no Reggie Wayne, but he's not totally dissimilar from being capable of being what Crabtree was to Carr, what I believe Decker will be to Mariota, etc.

You mentioned that having a #1 WR isn't always a great thing and bring up Derek Carr and how it's been Crabtree who's really helped him out. The reality is, Cooper is most definitely a #1 WR, he plays with Carr, and he has helped Carr. So there's an example of a #1 WR being an aid to a young QB [another very good WR just helps even more]. In regards to Stafford, don't forget that in 2011 as a young QB with Megatron on the roster, he threw for 5000+ yards and 40+ TDs. Once again, a #1 WR helping a young QB. And there are countless other examples- Newton and Smith, Luck and Wayne, Dalton and Green, Winston and Evans. More than anything, it's about given your QB as much help as possible. That could mean a #1 WR, a great running game, a great o-line, strong play calling [Cooter with Stafford the last couple years], etc. I just can't see Watkins being more of a hindrance than an aid to Goff. 

The Rams priority this offseason had to be helping out Goff. They added 3 weapons for him in the draft, signed the best LT available, signed Woods, brought in an offensive minded head coach who knows how to run an NFL offense [something we haven't seen in a decade] and now they trade for a legitimate #1 WR . I couldn't be more thrilled about all of this and now it's on Goff to show he has what it takes to succeed in this league. 

Watkins has been hurt by injuries, as well as by playing in a run heavy offense, and by being compared to the 2 WRs picked right after him [Evans and OBJ]. That last part really doesn't matter as it's just talk. The run heavy offense won't be as much of a factor with the way McVay likes to pass the ball [almost 5000 yards passing in Washington last season]. That leaves injuries, and there's nothing we can do but hope for the best in that regard. What we do know is that when healthy, Watkins was good enough to be picked 4th overall in the draft and put up numbers that compared to Julio Jones in his first couple of years in the league. At his best, he dominated the NFL [679 yards and 6 TDs in the last 6 games of 2015]. This franchise hasn't had a legit #1 WR since Holt left. This trade is well worth the risk in my opinion. 

Archived