Rams Acquire Sammy Watkins

chris00cm

First off, just wanted to say I LOVE the new forum (and I'm usually someone resistant to change). 

Secondly, and relevant to the topic, I loved this trade as soon as I saw it. Gaines had clearly fallen out of favor here, not to mention his injury concerns and the fact that we're still holding onto the hope that he'd play like he did in his rookie year, which was seemingly less and less likely. 

We've been trying to find a true #1 WR for what seems like forever now and Watkins is a bonafide #1 when healthy, which brings me to my main and only two concerns:

1) him staying healthy. Seems he has struggled the last few seasons with this but they all seemed like different problems not tied together. 

2) retaining him long term. Bottom line is that we need to lock him up. If he plays as a one year rental then this becomes a bad trade, especially considering we are a (yet again) rebuilding team--or at least a rebuilding offense. 

Between these two concerns, I am more confident that we can sign him to an extension. Either way I love this trade. To anyone upset over losing a second round pick in the deal--you simply won't find a prospect at the talent level of Watkins in the second round. We get what we've been waiting for for over a decade at pretty much the expense of a second rounder and CB depth. Such an exciting move IMO. 

Also, I would agree with those who previously mentioned that this could spell the end of Tavon with us--at least maybe once this season is done. And to be honest, I'm not all that against it. For every big play he has, he has ten bonehead plays. He's overpaid (which isn't his fault, but I digress) and he's had a hard time staying on the field. In addition, we've got several young players with potential who are looking for a chance to shine. For better or worse, I believe we have seen the peak of Tavon. He's had four years. We know what he's capable of and what he's not capable of. Time to move forward. 

-fin

On 8/13/2017 at 0:58 PM, Flounch said:

But i do care about Franchise tag Watkins as our situation with Cap room is very tight ! Also if we extend his contract, it's gonna cost us some goood money. 

A) Yes, good players cost good money, thats how the free market works

B) as jrry already pointed out, our Cap room is very flexible going into 2018. We are currently paying Tru almost $17m, and we wouldnt have to pay Sammy close to that on the Tag, so I think we can swing it for a #1 Weapon. 

As far as our cap room for 2018, on a Cap that will probably be $170m, we are already looking at almost $40m in space. And that is without making any moves. Sure Donald will start to eat into that, but he is already counting to $6m+ for the 2018 season. And the only real dollars we have committed for next year that we couldnt get out of look like this;

• Andrew Whitworth - $6m (half of his cap hit)
  • Michael Brockers - $6.5m (on $10.75m cap)
  • Jared Goff - $16.5m (most of his rookie contract, only a $7m cap hit for 18)
  • Todd Gurley - $2m (on only $4m cap)
  • Gerald Everett - $2.6m (most of his rookie deal)

We could save $7m on Barron (pay him $3m), $5m on Robert Woods (pay him $3m) $8m on Tavon (pay him nothing), $6.5m on Saffold (only pay him $1m), $3m+ on Kayvon Webster and another $2m on Harkey. Heck, if he were to become a complete disaster some how, we could move on from Bob Quinn and only have to pay him less than $1m saving over $11m. 

That right there is a likely extra $23m+ (Barron, Tavon, Saffold, Harkey) in cap space. We have plenty of room.

2 hours ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

We've been trying to find a true #1 WR for what seems like forever now and Watkins is a bonafide #1 when healthy, which brings me to my main and only two concerns:

1) him staying healthy. Seems he has struggled the last few seasons with this but they all seemed like different problems not tied together. 

He was in Buffalo....its super frigid and cold there? LA could revitalize him!!? :$

15 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

A) Yes, good players cost good money, thats how the free market works

B) as jrry already pointed out, our Cap room is very flexible going into 2018. We are currently paying Tru almost $17m, and we wouldnt have to pay Sammy close to that on the Tag, so I think we can swing it for a #1 Weapon. 

As far as our cap room for 2018, on a Cap that will probably be $170m, we are already looking at almost $40m in space. And that is without making any moves. Sure Donald will start to eat into that, but he is already counting to $6m+ for the 2018 season. And the only real dollars we have committed for next year that we couldnt get out of look like this;

• Andrew Whitworth - $6m (half of his cap hit)
  • Michael Brockers - $6.5m (on $10.75m cap)
  • Jared Goff - $16.5m (most of his rookie contract, only a $7m cap hit for 18)
  • Todd Gurley - $2m (on only $4m cap)
  • Gerald Everett - $2.6m (most of his rookie deal)

We could save $7m on Barron (pay him $3m), $5m on Robert Woods (pay him $3m) $8m on Tavon (pay him nothing), $6.5m on Saffold (only pay him $1m), $3m+ on Kayvon Webster and another $2m on Harkey. Heck, if he were to become a complete disaster some how, we could move on from Bob Quinn and only have to pay him less than $1m saving over $11m. 

That right there is a likely extra $23m+ (Barron, Tavon, Saffold, Harkey) in cap space. We have plenty of room.

when do you see Donald getting a deal?

1 hour ago, RamPackFan said:

He was in Buffalo....its super frigid and cold there? LA could revitalize him!!? :$

Honestly would not surprise me. I live in NY and the winters get pretty cold, and I'm not even as north as Buffalo so I could only imagine how bad a full winter is there. 

For what it's worth, from the interviews I've seen/read, the weather alone seems like something Watkins is already excited about, mentioning it a couple different times. 

1 minute ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Honestly would not surprise me. I live in NY and the winters get pretty cold, and I'm not even as north as Buffalo so I could only imagine how bad a full winter is there. 

For what it's worth, from the interviews I've seen/read, the weather alone seems like something Watkins is already excited about, mentioning it a couple different times. 

when it's cold everything hurts..lol.

2 hours ago, RamPackFan said:

when do you see Donald getting a deal?

Honestly Its too hard to tell. Donald is possibly the best defensive player in the league, and is currently being criminally underpaid. But at the same time we own his rights for the next two (accrued) seasons. That accrual stipulation is what makes it almost a certainty that he will be a Ram on his next contract. 

i think he is back in time to get in for some reps in the 3rd Preseason game, and I think he gets the new deal in the first few weeks of the season. Les has been working on that Watkins trade, and now that he has completed the big move for the offense. He will completely focus on getting this long term deal done for AD.

Some people are freaking out, I am not one of them. If I was Donald (or any vet that had the opportunity) i would skip as much of Training Camp as I could. 

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Honestly Its too hard to tell. Donald is possibly the best defensive player in the league, and is currently being criminally underpaid. But at the same time we own his rights for the next two (accrued) seasons. That accrual stipulation is what makes it almost a certainty that he will be a Ram on his next contract. 

i think he is back in time to get in for some reps in the 3rd Preseason game, and I think he gets the new deal in the first few weeks of the season. Les has been working on that Watkins trade, and now that he has completed the big move for the offense. He will completely focus on getting this long term deal done for AD.

Some people are freaking out, I am not one of them. If I was Donald (or any vet that had the opportunity) i would skip as much of Training Camp as I could. 

So, he may not play week 1? that would hurt

4 minutes ago, RamPackFan said:

So, he may not play week 1? that would hurt

No, I think he is playing week one. Im saying he sits out like another week, makes his point, comes back for the end of Training Camp and they get the deal signed in the first few weeks of the season.

Hold outs have always had a mixed result for the player. They usually get more done when they are there in the facility.

Hey guys, first time on the new forums, been super busy.  Wanted to get on real quick and give my 2 cents on the Watkins deal.

Even after about a week after the trade I'm still stoked.  Good things are coming to this franchise.  Before, we've created optimism out of thin air, but now we actually have legitimate reasons to be.

Archived