Sign in to follow this  
Hockey5djh

Eagles OTA/Training Camp News

On 6/14/2018 at 9:17 PM, RBreezy said:

Dying for some football man, I can’t take this stagnant part of the offseason. Hell  I’m pumped to see Pump catch bombs from Joe Callahan.

I’m excited to see how Dougy P and co will adapt the offense to something that’ll counter what teams are gameplanning for.

i realized Madden was free and loaded it up with updated rosters, dropping 40burgers every game in the Buddy Era unis

it's beautiful

but yea i'm ready to get after the repeat

3 hours ago, Kiltman said:

i realized Madden was free and loaded it up with updated rosters, dropping 40burgers every game in the Buddy Era unis

it's beautiful

but yea i'm ready to get after the repeat

Episode 1: A new Hope

Episode 2: Return of the Nick

Episode 3: Revenge of the Carson?

On 6/17/2018 at 9:51 PM, ninjapirate said:

I wonder who is going to do all the wham blocks this year with celek gone. 

We don't really have a TE who's good at blocking afaik.

8 minutes ago, Danger said:

We don't really have a TE who's good at blocking afaik.

Unless that's one of Goedert's hidden attributes, I don't think we do either, at least, not to Celek's level. 

4 hours ago, Phire said:

Unless that's one of Goedert's hidden attributes, I don't think we do either, at least, not to Celek's level. 

Celek wasn't as good of a blocker anymore.

Edit:

However, Celek’s value as a blocker has been in decline. Pro Football Focus (via Bleeding Green Nation’s Brandon Lee Gowton) ranked Celek just 57th out of 69 qualifying tight ends as a run blocker for the 2017 season. He did fare better as a pass-blocker, ranking 26th; this will thus be a consideration teams will have to take into account when determining whether to kick the tires on the veteran.

https://fansided.com/2018/03/13/brent-celek-nfl-value-2018/

47. Brent Celek, Philadelphia Eagles

Route Running: 12/20
Hands: 17/25
YAC: 8/20
Blocking: 14/25
Position Value: 7/10
Overall Grade: 58/100

When Zach Ertz was healthy, veteran Brent Celek served as the team's No. 2 tight end. Celek didn't stand out in any one area, but he was reliable in multiple facets of the game. Celek finished with just 13 receptions for 130 yards and a touchdown, and it was clear he's no longer the receiver he was earlier in his career. Celek struggled to create separation and lacked the speed to make plays down the field or after the catch. He was just an average blocker, and his time in the NFL may be coming to an end.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2754254-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-tight-ends-of-2017-season#slide9

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

Zach Ertz while still not a good pass blocker has improved as a run blocker since coming into the league.

Goedert has the ability to be a better blocker, but not sure how much we can expect him to improve in just his first offseason. By year 2 or 3 I expect him to be average at worst.

Zach Ertz 'a complete tight end' with much improved run blocking

It's much harder to gauge his progress as a blocker. You have to really watch closely. But Ertz, who was rarely asked to block at Stanford and early on here, has made remarkable progress on the line of scrimmage.

"He's just worked really hard at it," Celek said. "I don't think he had to do it in college. And then coming to the NFL, when you haven't done it in college a lot, it's a tough transition.

"Since Day 1 when he got here, he's worked on becoming a better blocker. He's going to continue to get better and better as time goes on."

“I’ve seen him really evolve in practice," right tackle Lane Johnson said. "He takes practice real seriously. We go against guys — Steven Means is a beast out there and every day in practice he brings it. I think he’s taking pride in getting better in the run game.

"He’s totally different than what he was a few years ago. You saw him Sunday, shoot, he de-cleated that one guy (Joey Bosa)."

Peelle, who spent 10 years in the NFL, said a lot has gone into making Ertz a better blocker. It's equal parts strength, technique and just understanding the offense.

“I think he’s gotten stronger since he’s gotten into the league, just because he’s matured," Peelle said. "His footwork has gotten better, his hand placement has gotten better, bringing his hips through the contact, those are things he knows he consistently has to work on, and he does.

Video: Pederson: Ertz 'has really improved' run-blocking this year

Eagles Film Breakdown: The Zach Ertz Attack is Back!

jose.cereza: Zach Ertz will never be a "blocking TE". And we don’t want him to be (looking at you, Chip). But, you can see that the work he has put into it is paying off. I remember he was taking MMA/hand fighting lessons one offseason. I know he and Celek have worked on it ever since he got here. His willingness to not only block, but devote precious practice and offseason time to it, exemplifies what this team is all about. Not individual stats or glory. To paraphase Coach Pederson, not to win medals at the 18-19 miles marks of a marathon, but to finish the race in first place. And to do whatever the team needs to do it.

For those hoping for a big poppa Pump breakout this season....might wanna find another target. Sproles looks better at almost 35 years old coming off a broken arm and a torn ACL

At 5-foot-9, 196 pounds, Donnel Pumphrey is made to excel in non-contact spring practices where players who thrive in space should stand out. That he was unable to do so in any capacity is notable for the 2017 fourth-round pick. Recovering from a torn ACL and a broken arm, Darren Sproles looked more spry fielding punts than Pumphrey did with the ball in his hands at any point. If it’s possible, his stock is lower than it was at the end of a rookie season spent on injured reserve. If you’re handicapping odds for the fourth running back spot between Pumphrey, Wendell Smallwood, Matt Jones and Josh Adams, don’t forget to consider “the field.”

@TheRealMcCoy I don't think the point was that Celek was some monster blocker, but he was good enough to see the field, maybe not last year, but in recent years, to take guys like Ertz off to come in and block. Celek's decline is well-accepted and understood. Ertz's improvement is also well-documented. The question is whether he'll be able to sustain that because it seemed like Chip, and parts of the Doug era, Celek was still valued as a blocker that a guy like Burton wasn't capable of. 

3 minutes ago, Phire said:

@TheRealMcCoy I don't think the point was that Celek was some monster blocker, but he was good enough to see the field, maybe not last year, but in recent years, to take guys like Ertz off to come in and block. Celek's decline is well-accepted and understood. Ertz's improvement is also well-documented. The question is whether he'll be able to sustain that because it seemed like Chip, and parts of the Doug era, Celek was still valued as a blocker that a guy like Burton wasn't capable of. 

Richard Rodgers probably makes the team as the 3rd TE because he could provide around the average blocking Celek did in recent years.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

44 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

For those hoping for a big poppa Pump breakout this season....might wanna find another target. Sproles looks better at almost 35 years old coming off a broken arm and a torn ACL

Since when was it expected Pumphrey would look better returning punts? Something he never did in college.

Not really surprised Sproles has recovered well.

Guys typically come back strong from injuries nowadays and Sproles is one of the hardest workers on this team easily so you know he went hard rehabbing.

Pumphrey visited teammate Darren Sproles in San Diego for cross-fit-style training sessions that left Pumphrey retching into garbage cans. He now weighs 186 pounds, about the same as his training-camp weight last year but now sculpted, with wider shoulders, broader chest. thicker thighs.

He visited Sproles in San Diego for five cross-fit-type training sessions. Sproles, who will turn 35 next month, is 5-6 and 190 pounds of bionic maniac. From him, Pumphrey learned what it takes for a little man to make it in a big man’s league.

Pumphrey and Sproles aren't the same type of players despite being on the smaller side. Not sure how anyone doesn't get that.

We'll see how he looks when the pads come on and he's used like a running back. Last year he wasn't as strong and was hampered by a hamstring injury.

I'm not holding my breath he's gonna have some "breakout", but I'm not giving up all hope on the guy cause of some note that Sproles looks better/shiftier returning punts lol.

“We’d be, like, lifting, and the trainers would give us a 10-minute break,” Pumphrey said. “And Darren would go over to the treadmill, and turn it up as fast as it would go, and sprint the entire rest time. It’s unreal. First day, I was yakkin’. And he’s still going, full reps.”

Also, thought I should include this bit for those who forget Sproles is a literal freak of nature.