Breakout Players 2018

Hunter2_1

Who are your predictions for breakout candidates for the upcoming season?

Derek Barnett, DE - Curry's gone, and opposition will have their hands full with Graham, Bennett and co. D-Bar should be licking his lips when he gets his opportunities.

William Jackson, CB - Impressive when he started the final few games. Handled Antonio as well as anyone ever has. Will be a starter this season.

George Kittle, TE - Only started 7 games with 500 yards and 2 TD last season, but back healthy, with Jimmy G throwing to him; I believe he will become a favourite target and he's shown glimpses of being a top TE last season. 

Derrick Henry, RB - Think they'll use Henry a lot more this season, and will be the number 1 RB on a team that has a very competent run blocking OL.

Malcolm Mitchell, WR - Will have to step up now that Cooks has gone. Will have plenty of snaps out wide if he can stay fit. Time to prove himself in a pass-heavy offense

Dalvin Cook, RB - Does this count as a breakout? Either way, I expect him to go off if healthy.

You?

16 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I reckon he'll come through by the season opening. He better...

I really don't see primary boundary receivers breaking out in New England's system unless you're truly special. They work from the inside out.

19 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I really don't see primary boundary receivers breaking out in New England's system unless you're truly special. They work from the inside out.

Well, he's also lined up in slot. Breakout is a relative term anyway. I don't expect him to have a 1500 yard 10TD season. I expect him to be significantly better than anything he's done before.

8 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Well, he's also lined up in slot. Breakout is a relative term anyway. I don't expect him to have a 1500 yard 10TD season. I expect him to be significantly better than anything he's done before.

My gut says Edelman, Hogan, Matthews, Patterson see the field before Mitchell. What percentage of snaps do you see him playing? 10-15%?

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

My gut says Edelman, Hogan, Matthews, Patterson see the field before Mitchell. What percentage of snaps do you see him playing? 10-15%?

He'll certainly be above Patterson. In his rookie year he had 48% of snaps. 2 rec/game, 400 yards and 4 TD. I expect similar snap count, but improved reception and yardage stats. 

For the Texans, I'm going to look at last years' rookie class and go with Zach Cunningham. He got rushed in following Brian Cushing's suspension and looked like what you'd expect a rookie ILB to look like - had plenty of hustle, but was out of position from time to time. He's gained some significant experience - and he also gained about 15 lbs of bulk in the off-season, which was the knock on him coming out of Vanderbilt. With Cushing gone, he's the starter opposite Bernardrick McKinney.

If he can maintain the same speed and lateral quickness he displayed as a rookie at 250, he's going to be a monster. 

Carlos Watkins is also another name to keep an eye on. Much like Cunningham, he was pressed into action with injuries to Christian Covington and JJ Watt and he held his own. Later on in the season, Watkins was stringing together a bunch of deft pass rush moves and breaking into the backfield a few times. He might actually challenge Covington for the starting spot opposite Watt this season.

I'm obviously biased but I'm going with Cook. Not sure how rusty he might be to begin the year but he was electric in the time he played last year and he is going to play with a very good passing game. Wouldn't be shocked if he hit 1000/500 but only if he is ready from week 1.

Samsun Ebukam, starting behind our dline with this secondary behind him he should break out and make a lot of big plays. Second year player might make mistakes also but I’m hoping for big things, Wade loves his athleticism.

Archived