Breakout Players 2018

Hunter2_1

On 6/3/2018 at 11:21 AM, Ajayii said:

Jakeem Grant - He wont be a huge yardage guy, I'm predicting 680 receiving, but he'll have 8+ TDs rushing, receiving, and on special teams. 

680 yards for the 5th WR on the depth chart?

On 6/3/2018 at 8:00 AM, Shylo3716 said:

Cooper has 2 1,000 yard seasons under his belt already.

Tbh he hasn't even came close to reaching his potential yet. He shows flashes of brilliance but hasn't quite put it together. It's tough to say if he will be worth the high selection, but I think Gruden is going to really elevate Cooper's play. 

6 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Tbh he hasn't even came close to reaching his potential yet. He shows flashes of brilliance but hasn't quite put it together. It's tough to say if he will be worth the high selection, but I think Gruden is going to really elevate Cooper's play. 

I agree. I am higher on Cooper than most outside of Alabama/Oakland fans. I still believe it’s hard to consider him a breakout player off the strength of eclipsing 1,000 yards already. It’s a difference between breaking out, which he has already done, and actually stamping himself as a top-5 WR, which is what we are awaiting at any given moment. 

PJ Hall - Has Mack and Irvin on the outside, with his strength, technique and athleticism, he should be a dominant force in the inside with single blocks

Derek Rivers -  Assuming he returns from injury, he will have every opportunity to be the pass rushing force he was at YSU

Carl Lawson - A star in the making

9 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

680 yards for the 5th WR on the depth chart?

He's not really the 5th WR, Grant is likley going to get the 3rd most boundary snaps (behind Stills & DvP), in all likelihood.. he'll also get some manufactured touches and may return punts again. DvP may be hurt in any given week. Wilson/Amendola will mostly play in the slot.

He had 215 yards in 132 offensive snaps (25 total targets/carries and averaged 15.6 yards/reception).

It wouldn't surprise me if Miami has no WRs go over 1,000 yards receiving in 2018, but have like 4 guys with 800+, I'm not sure Grant will be one, but he'll be good for explosive plays here and there and he's definitely earned more PT this season.

Can’t really speak for other teams since I don’t follow all the teams on daily basis. So I’ll stick to the players I think will have breakout years for the Jets.

Leonard Williams. Currently there are those elite interior lineman like Donald and Atkins, guys that are close to elite and guys that are above average. Currently, I would put Leo in that 3rd bucket or above average category. I think this year he’ll be viewed as a close to elite player below guys like Cox, McCoy and Buckner etc. 

Jamal Adams is another player I think will breakout. He had a solid year in 2017. But I think he’ll be viewed as an above average saftety this year. Not sure if this qualifies as breakout though. 

12 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Can’t really speak for other teams since I don’t follow all the teams on daily basis. So I’ll stick to the players I think will have breakout years for the Jets.

Leonard Williams. Currently there are those elite interior lineman like Donald and Atkins, guys that are close to elite and guys that are above average. Currently, I would put Leo in that 3rd bucket or above average category. I think this year he’ll be viewed as a close to elite player below guys like Cox, McCoy and Buckner etc. 

Jamal Adams is another player I think will breakout. He had a solid year in 2017. But I think he’ll be viewed as an above average saftety this year. Not sure if this qualifies as breakout though. 

Williams is already out. He's class.

For NY, maybe Anderson?

4 hours ago, Ajayii said:

5th? He'll be utilized more than Amendola.

Stills, Parker, Wilson/Grant, Amendola

Yeah, 5th. Behind Stills, Parker, and the two receivers they spent a lot of money on this past offseason. 

4 hours ago, cddolphin said:

He's not really the 5th WR, Grant is likley going to get the 3rd most boundary snaps (behind Stills & DvP), in all likelihood.. he'll also get some manufactured touches and may return punts again. DvP may be hurt in any given week. Wilson/Amendola will mostly play in the slot.

He had 215 yards in 132 offensive snaps (25 total targets/carries and averaged 15.6 yards/reception).

It wouldn't surprise me if Miami has no WRs go over 1,000 yards receiving in 2018, but have like 4 guys with 800+, I'm not sure Grant will be one, but he'll be good for explosive plays here and there and he's definitely earned more PT this season.

Well, 3rd boundary WR is well and good u til you consider that there are only two boundaries. I don’t doubt that he’ll get manufactured touches, but I have to question anyone who thinks he’ll nearly triple and a half his receiving total from last year when all Miami has done is add another player into the mix (subtract Landry, add Wilson and Amendola). 

You thought they’d bring Amendola in at $6M and Wilson at $8M to be #4 and #5?

14 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Exactly. Amari is not the type of talent where he barely cracks 1000 yards and you're satisfied with it. Because if you watch him, you know he's capable of so much more. He has the upside to be a top 10 guy in the league easily.

He leaves alot of plays on the field, his body hasn't been able to hold up in the second halves of seasons, and the offenses he has played in have failed to fully utilize his abilities. Carr also favored Crabtree over Cooper, so Amari will be the undisputed #1 guy this year and Gruden has already stated he'll be one of the main centerpieces of the offense. 

5 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Yeah, 5th. Behind Stills, Parker, and the two receivers they spent a lot of money on this past offseason. 

Well, 3rd boundary WR is well and good u til you consider that there are only two boundaries. I don’t doubt that he’ll get manufactured touches, but I have to question anyone who thinks he’ll nearly triple and a half his receiving total from last year when all Miami has done is add another player into the mix (subtract Landry, add Wilson and Amendola). 

You thought they’d bring Amendola in at $6M and Wilson at $8M to be #4 and #5?

I think they're going to spread out their targets and snaps much more evenly.

Last year, Miami's top 3 WRs accounted for 90% of all WR snaps. That simply won't happen this year.

I think it's reasonable to expect a big jump from Grant - even if I don't think that means 800 yards. "Break out" is a subjective phrase, I suppose - I think 600 yards at 15 yards a pop and 5+ TDs would be a breakout season for Grant in a crowded WR room.

Archived