CB Bobby McCain Signs Extension - 4 years, $27m ($13m gtd)

cddolphin

The 24-year-old former 5th round pick is now signed through the 2022 season.

(Remember that since this is an extension, the cap hit is spread over 5 years, not 4 years)

Bobby McCain saw only 18 targets all year despite playing 2/3rds of defensive snaps, mostly in the slot.

More good stats here:

Can't say exactly until full details are released, but $30m (max value) over 5 years comes out to a mere $6m per season (again, that is the max value).

Schefter says this makes Bobby the "highest paid nickel corner". 

According to overthecap.com, Bobby is now the 31st-highest paid corner overall (in terms of average yearly value) and the 20th-highest paid corner in terms of guaranteed money.

Seems like damned good value to me. Glad they got the extension done a year early rather than a year late (which they've been criticized recently of doing: see Vernon, Clay).

Lippett doesn't play in the slot EVER, he's too long and doesn't have the short area quickness required. Right now hes our third boundary corner so presently I don't think he's going anywhere but if they draft someone high next yr its possible

41 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

Does anyone think Lippett may be the odd man out in 2019 if he has a good 2018?

You can't have enough good CBs.

Remember Howard is under contract for 2 more seasons and Tankersley for 3 more seasons so they'll be cheap for a while.

It 100% depends on Lippett's performance this year. If he returns to 2016 (above average / good) I could see Miami offering a fair 3/4 year deal, even with McCain/Howard/Tank on the roster.

Nice job extending McCain.  I’ve been saying for several years now in this forum (green4gulf) that teams must have 3 starting caliber CBs on Defense.  I’m actually a bit surprised since I thought we would be using Fitzpatrick as a slot / nickel corner, but with this move I’m expecting to see him more at FS which makes me think TJ McDonald is the odd man out.

On 6/2/2018 at 6:23 AM, mountainpd said:

Does there have to be an odd man out a lot of 5db sets. Couple of years of cheap deals and competition will make them all better. Plenty of snaps to share out with little drop off hopefully.

Dolphins have barely played any dime defense the past two seasons.

They need to change this and catch up with the times, and especially with the Minkah selection they have the personnel to do so. Three starter-quality safeties, four CBs who have put quality snaps on film.

On 6/2/2018 at 6:23 AM, mountainpd said:

Does there have to be an odd man out a lot of 5db sets. Couple of years of cheap deals and competition will make them all better. Plenty of snaps to share out with little drop off hopefully.

There probably will not be an odd man out this season.  In reality at least one of our starting DB’s gets injured during the season or before and misses significant time.  The FO probably is being proactive and has the roster ready for the contingency plan.

Lippett still isn't 100% yet. In an interview, the DB's coach said that Lippett has been working hard to restore length to the injured Achilles. So based on that, it sounds like the injured tendon is still stiff. Lippett might not be ready to go until the first couple of weeks of the season. I love the McCain extension. The front office wanted to counter the opinion that they just wanted to be cheap, as the reason they got rid of Suh, Landry, and Pouncey. This lets the team know that hard work will pay off in this organization.  

Archived