Dolphins extend Bobby McCain 4 year 27 mil, 13 mil GRT

49erurtaza

44 minutes ago, Danger said:

Is he worth the TOP nickel back money though?

By my calculations (may change when contract details come out, or if somebody corrects me), his average annual pay ranks 31st, and his guaranteed money ranks 20th among all CBs. Not sure how/where Schefter draws the line between boundary and nickel CBs.

Bobby was targeted 18 times in 2017, and allowed 11 catches; his best game was against Philip Rivers, where he drew matchups against Keenan Allen, Antonio Gates, and Travis Benjamin and drew zero targets.

Here's a good analysis on Bobby that was written back in February:

McCain was set to be a free agent after 2018.

The critics are going to say he was paid too early.

The same critics were bemoaning all this past offseason that Miami in recent years has been waiting until right before a young, talented player hits FA to try to sign them to long-term deals. They tried to sign Lamar Miller, but failed. They tried with Charles Clay, then Olivier Vernon, and this past year with Jarvis Landry.

This move is a departure from that pattern, and may pay dividends through 2022.

12 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

McCain was set to be a free agent after 2018.

The critics are going to say he was paid too early.

The same critics were bemoaning all this past offseason that Miami in recent years has been waiting until right before a young, talented player hits FA to try to sign them to long-term deals. They tried to sign Lamar Miller, but failed. They tried with Charles Clay, then Olivier Vernon, and this past year with Jarvis Landry.

This move is a departure from that pattern, and may pay dividends through 2022.

I wouldn't. Lock them up. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The niners extended Goodwin this off season and he wasn't going to be a free agent until next year. At first I thought, oh man, 6 million for Goodwin (and that is if he maxes out)? Then I saw what receivers got on the market this year and now I'm very happy for the resigning. Personally, I'd rather bet on my own guys and misfire on those contracts rather than free agent ones

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wouldn't. Lock them up. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The niners extended Goodwin this off season and he wasn't going to be a free agent until next year. At first I thought, oh man, 6 million for Goodwin (and that is if he maxes out)? Then I saw what receivers got on the market this year and now I'm very happy for the resigning. Personally, I'd rather bet on my own guys and misfire on those contracts rather than free agent ones

I've been on Dolphins twitter since the signing and was feeling salty. 

Agree with the bolded, Miami waited to sign Kenny Stills and it's worked out, but then again they let Landry's price point get too high. Miami let DEs Jared Odrick and Olivier Vernon walk and that's looked like a good and an okay decision respectively.. but then they go and spend capital on Andre Branch for their trouble.

Bobby McCain is tied as the longest tenured vet on the roster at CB (along with Tony Lippett); both are entering their 4th season. McCain is 24 years old.

1 hour ago, Crickett said:

I guess this means Minkah Fitzpatrick is going to be exclusively a safety then? 

I think that is/was/should be the plan. Fitzpatrick was an average CB with his athleticism, but his football IQ and instincts could place him as a boarderline elite S.

Dunno who just got that contract, but it seems reasonable at the position.

Archived