TRADE: The Eagles Acquire CB Ronald Darby from Buffalo for WR Jordan Matthews + 2018 Third-Round Pick

Blahstoise

1 minute ago, Jroc04 said:

^ That

I'll take a chance he regains his rookie form and trade a slot receiver we aren't resigning anyway. 

I don't think it is fair to say we DEFINITELY weren't resigning Matthews.  Jeffrey is on a 1 year deal, and his next contract will be huge and who knows with his health if he'll even get a longterm contract from us.  It was basically those two vying for a longterm job going into this season.

Just now, Broadway Joe said:

It certainly solidifies the major area of concern. We can certainly expect a more competitive year and it with Sydney and Douglas on the roster we can scratch CB from our list of needs for next year.

Now RB And OT are paramount to keep building the team. 

All of a sudden I'm way more excited, hopefully this isn't a regress on the more patient approach Howie was taken to building this team.

Yeah we should be good to go for next year with Jones. Darby is 23 and has years on his contract.

I agree, but this was pretty obvious 3 months ago as well. Still nothing happened at the back end. Now, even if Darby is a good player, he needs more than 3 weeks to get to know the team, scheme and the playbook. 

Now, Matthews was our best player (edit: receiver of course). He was not perfect by any means, but all of a sudden everyone wants Agholor "starting". I like him too and root for him, but Jeffery is injured and we all just hope Torrey is going to be the B'more version, but there are no guarantees for that. 

9 minutes ago, Phire said:

Don't care about the third rounder. That's next year's problem.

Howie making deals. I'm suddenly even more excited for this season.

Eh. It is a loss. If everything stays the same in next years draft we'll only have one pick in the top 100ish.

It obviously is something that over time will go away (you'd think)

But I do worry about the "my guys" mentality here sometimes

Either with Howie, as he jettisons large parts of the Chip Era fairly easily.
Most are trades we'd do again....but Eric Rowe and this have a bit of a question mark for value we gave up or reasoning.

And then you have Schwartz favoring his guys seemingly for no reason other than that he knows them and overvalues them.
(not talking about Darby, as their tenures didn't overlap)

The most successful team for over a decade and a half has been New England...and a key to their success is taking the guys they have and adapting to their skillsets, and tossing out all the other stuff...save for when there is a personality clash.
I just worry that we are constantly going to be trying to find a square peg for round holes...instead of just adapting and making it square holes

1 minute ago, Hockey5djh said:

Eh. It is a loss. If everything stays the same in next years draft we'll only have one pick in the top 100ish.

We have 3 fourth rounders next year so they'll likely use that as ammo to move back up into the second/third round. 

1 minute ago, Kiltman said:

I just worry that we are constantly going to be trying to find a square peg for round holes...instead of just adapting and making it square holes

That's a legitimate concern. The positive of this trade is that the Rex Ryan defense and Scwartz defense are very similar and he's excelled in this scheme.

That considered there is something to be said for stockpiling talent and making your scheme work to their strengths.

Just now, Phire said:

To me, that's next year's problem.

This move is for 2017.

oh I don't disagree that this move is for 2017 but as a GM you can't ignore the future. I'm hoping he has a plan to keep Alshon and Jernigan around after this season or we're gonna have some big holes to fill and not a lot of high draft picks to do it.

4 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

I don't think it is fair to say we DEFINITELY weren't resigning Matthews.  Jeffrey is on a 1 year deal, and his next contract will be huge and who knows with his health if he'll even get a longterm contract from us.  It was basically those two vying for a longterm job going into this season.

lol I think it's pretty fair considering he's in Buffalo now. What more proof do you need that Howie wasn't interested in resigning him? Besides, we saw a good slot receiver and 2 scrub wideouts and how that operates. A slot guy is a good compliment. Not a focal point to a good offense. And for a such a big part of our offense, he was always so average. Rarely did I see any plays that impressed me. 

3 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

It obviously is something that over time will go away (you'd think)

But I do worry about the "my guys" mentality here sometimes

Either with Howie, as he jettisons large parts of the Chip Era fairly easily.
Most are trades we'd do again....but Eric Rowe and this have a bit of a question mark for value we gave up or reasoning.

And then you have Schwartz favoring his guys seemingly for no reason other than that he knows them and overvalues them.
(not talking about Darby, as their tenures didn't overlap)

The most successful team for over a decade and a half has been New England...and a key to their success is taking the guys they have and adapting to their skillsets, and tossing out all the other stuff...save for when there is a personality clash.

That is very true and Howie definitely wants to get rid of anything Chip Kelly. The Rowe deal was made pretty much because of Roseman's ego. We wouldn't be in this position if it wasn't for that. I hate it when players are in the dog house for no apparent reason.

My biggest concern with trading for guys and signing FA is that they are players that do not feel rivalry game or colors, do not have the leadership aspect and most of all don't care that much about winning. You knew Shady, Jackson and Maclin would bring their A-game when it came to NFC East matchups.

Archived