Supplemental Draft

moretti19

19 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

House is already gone, you're enamored, I'm not sinking 123 at CB again without Randy Moss. Too rich for my blood. The round doesn't matter, but a day 2 pick adds legitimacy to my only half serious quip. I'd rather spend it when the board suits me better.

Really? I thought we just resigned him? 

10 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

No way he makes it out of camp. That room is super crowded

It's also super young. I'll accept that there may very well be 4 CBs on the team better than him come week 1 but I highly doubt there's 6 CBs better than him.

3 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Why the House bashing?  He's a solid corner.  Always liked House.  He's always in the receiver's face.  He'll be on the 53 unless he gets injured.

He's not awful, but he's not very good. If he ends up being all the way down at #5, he might not. That deep, CBs need to be playing ST too.

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

He's not awful, but he's not very good. If he ends up being all the way down at #5, he might not. That deep, CBs need to be playing ST too.

The Packers aren't keeping him as their 5th CB.  They either are going to be developmental types or ST type.  And House is neither of those.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The Packers aren't keeping him as their 5th CB.  They either are going to be developmental types or ST type.  And House is neither of those.

Why wouldn't you keep him for depth at that point? You can still keep another guy for a Special teams type. Seems like it would be a waste signing him if thats why he doesn't make the cut.

38 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Why wouldn't you keep him for depth at that point? You can still keep another guy for a Special teams type. Seems like it would be a waste signing him if thats why he doesn't make the cut.

Because your 5th/6th corners rarely are guys who don't have upside or have ST value.  Davon House is 28 years old, so there's only so much upside you have in your career before you're done with improvements.  And as far as I'm aware, he's only played in 20%+ of the ST snaps once in the last three years.  He's not really a ST player by any means.  In terms of game day rosters, your sixth CB is almost always a healthy scratch.  Teams don't use 5 WR sets much outside of wrinkles, and even 4 WR sets aren't very popular by any means. So let's assume you're going with 4 CBs for sure, since you've got three who are essentially starting CBs.  So between Tramon Williams, Kevin King, Jaire Alexander, and Josh Jackson, three of them are your "starting" CBs.  Josh Jackson can play in that swing CB/S role if need be.  IF Davon House is your 5th CB, it's because he's not playing very well since he's more ready to perform Day 1 than say Alexander or Jackson.  And at that point, you're probably better off gambling on the upside of Pipkins or what other corner you kept.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Because your 5th/6th corners rarely are guys who don't have upside or have ST value.  Davon House is 28 years old, so there's only so much upside you have in your career before you're done with improvements.  And as far as I'm aware, he's only played in 20%+ of the ST snaps once in the last three years.  He's not really a ST player by any means.  In terms of game day rosters, your sixth CB is almost always a healthy scratch.  Teams don't use 5 WR sets much outside of wrinkles, and even 4 WR sets aren't very popular by any means. So let's assume you're going with 4 CBs for sure, since you've got three who are essentially starting CBs.  So between Tramon Williams, Kevin King, Jaire Alexander, and Josh Jackson, three of them are your "starting" CBs.  Josh Jackson can play in that swing CB/S role if need be.  IF Davon House is your 5th CB, it's because he's not playing very well since he's more ready to perform Day 1 than say Alexander or Jackson.  And at that point, you're probably better off gambling on the upside of Pipkins or what other corner you kept.

If he plays bad that's one thing, but with the injuries to the position the past few years why not keep him for insurance if the guy shows he can still play? Maybe I put too much value on depth, but I just like the idea of potentially being 5 deep at CB with all of the problems we've had there. Was the 20%+ because he wasn't good at it, or was it just because he was starting?

I have been a fan of House in the past and still think he is a average starter when healthy, he just hasn’t been healthy. I thought he was most valuable as a leader for the young guys though. It is nice having a guy in the locker room that wants to be a Packer and has been a good example of how to carry yourself on and off the field.

On 6/4/2018 at 3:37 AM, moretti19 said:

I have been a fan of House in the past and still think he is a average starter when healthy, he just hasn’t been healthy. I thought he was most valuable as a leader for the young guys though. It is nice having a guy in the locker room that wants to be a Packer and has been a good example of how to carry yourself on and off the field.

But with Tramon, do you need TWO of those guys? He's been so-so when he's played and beat up alot.

I don't hate House, by any means, but if he's not one of my top 3-4, I'd rather keep younger back end guys.

I'd be okay burning a 5th on him. From what I read, he projects at safety, which we could use (Dix leaving insurance, Jones not taking a leap insurance). Second round talents with moderate character concerns usually rounds 4-6.

4 hours ago, spilltray said:

I don't hate House, by any means, but if he's not one of my top 3-4, I'd rather keep younger back end guys.

If you add this to the comments from Das Gute about wanting Rollins to compete at CB - it appears the Packers have quite a stable of CBs to bring to camp. Lots for Whitt to work with here:

Tramon Williams, Kevin King, Jaire Alexander, Josh Jackson, Davon House, Herb Waters, Quentin Rollins, Lenzy Pipkins, Josh Hawkins, Donatello Brown and Dmitri Goodson who Rodgers was pimping last week. Even if you keep 6, that leaves 5 looking for work. I see Rollins is participating in OTAs - does that preclude him from going on the PUP to start the year ? Long road back for him...

Archived