Buccaneers a top ten offense?

DoleINGout

Buccaneers A Top Ten Offense?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Buccaneers poised to be a top ten offense this season?

• Yes, they will finish as a top ten offense in points per game.
    • No, they will not finish inside the top ten offenses in points per game.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/03/2018 at 06:02 AM

Jameis Winston is a talented quarterback in his second season with rookies Chris Godwin and OJ Howard plus veteran signing from 2017 DeSean Jackson. In addition, the Buccaneers re-signed Cameron Brate and return Mike Evans as a starter. The defense and head coach also return in their second year under the new regime with several key players expected to make the Buccaneers better finally. The running game is a bit murky but talented USC back Ronald Jones was drafted early in the second round to compliment the pass game as he did in college and rush in tandem with Peyton Barber. Can the Buccaneers expect a top ten offense with these new improvements? Or will the offensive line and tough division prevent them from really producing as such.

Teams I fully expect to be better, offensively: Patriots, Saints, Packers, Rams, Steelers, Eagles, Falcons.

Teams I could easily see being better, offensively: Texans, Giants, Vikings, Lions, 49ers, Chargers.

Teams with upside if things fall right, offensively: Bengals, Titans, Chiefs, Redskins, Panthers, Seattle.

So it's not impossible, but I'd say unlikely. I don't have much faith in Jameis and they play in a tough division. They're talented for sure and their secondary might force them into a high offensive output, but I'll take the field in this one.

I don't want to call them a paper tiger, but I think they're an offense that could be poised to be massively overrated because of their fantasy production - and maybe have to be due to the defense (which, apologies to Bucs fans, I can't help but look at right now and think, "middling at best").  Top 10 scoring offense that still suffers in the efficiency stats due to turnovers (Jameis is always going to be a gunslinger, you very likely aren't fixing that at this point) and not being stellar at sustaining drives (but countering that by having massive big play potential)?  I can definitely see it.  I just see them as an offense that's likely going to benefit in the counting stats from increased opportunities because game script is going to force the necessity to go for the TD versus being in a position to settle for FG's.

TLDR version: i think their offense is going to produce well for fantasy football players and that's going to result in people rating them higher than they ought to.  In a sense, that was something people did last season with the Chargers offense too because Gordon was piling up points (from TD's, but the team was actually bottom 10 in the league averaging only 3.8 yards per carry), when really the only standout performers were Allen and, to a notably lesser degree, Henry.

Well, last season;

9th in Yards/G

18th in Points/G

8th in Yards/P

2nd in 1st Downs/G

So, moving up and down the field was clearly no problem for them. I'm guessing RZ offense stalled, judging by those stats? If they find a way to rectify that (shouldn't be too hard with 3 freaks on offense, come on), then I can see that they WOULD be a top 10 offensive unit. So I voted yes, I expect an improvement, which would see them in top 10 overall.

Accidentally voted no, but they definitely have a solid chance if they cut down on the turnovers.  According to Football Outsiders...

In 2017, they ranked:

7th in Yards Per Drive

16th in Points Per Drive

30th in Turnovers Per Drive (22nd in INTs, 32nd in Fumbles)

11th in TOP Per Drive

And 5th Overall in Drive Success Rate

So you could easily argue they were a top 10 offense last year, and they would have been even better if they had more luck in the turnover department.

If Ronald Jones can provide something to that run game, I say absolutely. Jameis Winston wasn't great last season, but he was playing hurt a lot and really didn't have much in terms of a run game to rely on.

14 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Teams I fully expect to be better, offensively: Patriots, Saints, Packers, Rams, Steelers, Eagles, Falcons.

Teams I could easily see being better, offensively: Texans, Giants, Vikings, Lions, 49ers, Chargers.

Teams with upside if things fall right, offensively: Bengals, Titans, Chiefs, Redskins, Panthers, Seattle.

So it's not impossible, but I'd say unlikely. I don't have much faith in Jameis and they play in a tough division. They're talented for sure and their secondary might force them into a high offensive output, but I'll take the field in this one.

Where are the Jags? 

We're pretty good at the moving the ball. We just stall out in the red zone. I think we've got a shot at repeating a top 10 offense in yards. Points is another story.

There was actually a point in time last year when we lead the league in passing yards.

4 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

We're pretty good at the moving the ball. We just stall out in the red zone. I think we've got a shot at repeating a top 10 offense in yards. Points is another story.

There was actually a point in time last year when we lead the league in passing yards.

I can see them as a top 5 passing offense for sure. Top 3 seems like an attainable goal too, and to be the best in the NFL I give it a shot.

4 hours ago, Danger said:

It depends if Jameis Inston can finally live up to his potential.

He will this season if he hasn't already.

13 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I can see them as a top 5 passing offense for sure. Top 3 seems like an attainable goal too, and to be the best in the NFL I give it a shot.

He will this season if he hasn't already.

He hasn't.

It's certainly possible he's "Top 5" or "Top 3", but I'd put a lot of money that they don't. 

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

He hasn't.

It's certainly possible he's "Top 5" or "Top 3", but I'd put a lot of money that they don't. 

I've seen a lot more good than bad in Winston to believe that this is the year he pits it all together. As for the Buccs offense being top 5, I was talking specifically passing offense.

Archived