Buccaneers a top ten offense?

DoleINGout

Buccaneers A Top Ten Offense?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Buccaneers poised to be a top ten offense this season?

• Yes, they will finish as a top ten offense in points per game.
    • No, they will not finish inside the top ten offenses in points per game.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/03/2018 at 06:02 AM

On 6/2/2018 at 7:38 PM, Danger said:

He won't necessarily lose you games, but he probably won't carry anyone. I will say this. 

I actually think the opposite is true. He’s a gunslinger, he’ll win you some and lose you some. I don’t think he’s an Alex Smith or Andy Dalton type that you put out there and expect them to manage a game. He’ll let the ball loose and either make some cool contested catches to Evans or throw into double coverage for an interception. 

On 6/2/2018 at 1:52 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Well, last season;

9th in Yards/G

18th in Points/G

8th in Yards/P

2nd in 1st Downs/G

So, moving up and down the field was clearly no problem for them. I'm guessing RZ offense stalled, judging by those stats? If they find a way to rectify that (shouldn't be too hard with 3 freaks on offense, come on), then I can see that they WOULD be a top 10 offensive unit. So I voted yes, I expect an improvement, which would see them in top 10 overall.

Red zone offense is awful. Mostly because the Bucs have no running game so Winston either has to run it himself or throw for a TD.

Bucs can be top 10. Only if they get that ground game to work. Hope Jensen is as good as contract indicates.

It doesn't help that we run a vertical offense and don't change it enough once we get into the red zone. It's hard to run goes, deep comebacks, and deep posts when the field is so small.

Not being able to run the ball doesn't help either. Our longest TD run last year was TWO yards. TWO!!

• 2 weeks later...

The Buccaneers offense doesn't scare me at all. They don't have any particular position group that would rank in the top 5. Their WR group is the only group that ranks in the top 10. They have a below average OL and below average RB's. And Winston has been good, but underwhelming for a #1 overall pick to be honest. I don't think he's a top 10 QB nor do I ever see him reaching those heights.

For what it's worth, I'm not a big Ronald Jones fan and I think that pick was kind of a waste. I'd feel much better about their offense had they taken Derrius Guice.

Mike Evans and OJ Howard (potential) are the two excellent players I see on their offensive roster. The rest of the guys are just guys. I think they heavily overachieved last year.

7 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Mike Evans and OJ Howard (potential) are the two excellent players I see on their offensive roster. The rest of the guys are just guys. I think they heavily overachieved last year.

Cam Brate is a pretty good TE. He's excellent in the seams and makes a lot of tough catches. He's also one of the better TEs in the red zone. He's not a good blocker but that's why we have Howard.

Chris Godwin is a name to remember too. We didn't really start giving him meaningful snaps/targets until about halfway through the season. And he had almost 500 yards over the last eight games. It looks like he's gonna rotate with DJax opposite Evans, and he's gonna play outside with DJax in the slot when we go three wide. The coaches have been really high on him and he makes a highlight catch or two every practice.

DJax is still one of the fastest guys in the league. Jameis' deep ball seems to have improved a little bit. And it may have taken us like 10 games to figure it out, but DJax is still elite in space.

Hump is only a slot WR. But he's pretty good at it. And he catches everything.

Our RBs are a big question mark though. Barber flashed a little last year. He also looked replaceable at times. Rojo has really struggled catching the ball so far in camp. Quizz is decent at pretty much everything. But that's it. And Sims is really only a third down back. UDFA Shaun Wilson has really turned heads so far. But he's gonna have to beat out Quizz or Sims to make the roster. And to do that he's gonna have to figure out pass protection, which sometimes seems more important to Koetter than actually running the ball.

Top 10 really doesn’t mean much when there are only 32 teams. You don’t even have to be in the top quarter of teams to get that label. There are always teams the play better than expect and fall into the top 10. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Bucs did based on their skilled positions. But I doubt they would be a mainstay in the top 10 bevause I’m just not a believer in Winston. He is clearly the #4 QB in the NFC South. I’m also not a believer in Jones...the guy is not Charles. Charles was elusive and slipped tackles...Jones is useless if defenders get a hand on him. 

Winston is still very young and has alot more room to grow....but will he?    I dont know.    Comes down to him and coaching....neither of which do I have much faith in.

People can talk about yards all they want, but yards arent impressive if you cant score points.   

CAN they be top 10?    Sure....but as others have stated, there are about 6 or 7 offenses, barring injury, that should DEFINITELY be top 10....then there are probably about 10-12 offenses that COULD BE top 10 if the right players progress and other things fall in place....and the Bucs fall in that category.   

• 1 month later...

They have a shot. The offensive line improved in a big way and outside of Left Tackle. Every other position can at least be solid. Ronald Jones with Payton Barber should rejuvenate the run game and this team has a nice selection of WRs/TEs in Mike Evans, Chris Godwin who is a rising star, Desean, Cameron Brate who is an underrated TE and OJ Howard who has a ton of potential. 

I have said this before and I will say it again. Jameis seems to play his best when he has a good supporting cast. This current offensive roster is the most talented he has had since being here. If he can improve and the play calling can get better then this team has a shot at a top 10 offense. 

Archived