NBA 2k18 myLeague - Toronto Raptors Rebuild - New content pg 9

JBURGE

Image result for toronto raptors old logo

I'm back again. I've learned (hopefully) from my last 2 of these. 

I want to do a full rebuild of my childhood team, the Toronto Raptors, because I think everyone has seen that with their current stars they can't win a championship. I'm here to tear it down.

I am going to trey to be more detailed than my last two. I get annoyed with tedious work, but I will do my best fam.

The plan is to unload some of these bad contracts with Derozan, Ibaka, and Lowry, and let some of this young talent get some minutes. I'm going to have to package a couple of them I'm sure, but that's okay. I always want to build through the draft anyway.

Please comment and let me know changes you'd like to see... I'm sure everyone who's done these will say that if the activity is not there from the readers, I lose interest. 

Without further ado, thanks in advance for reading!

Rules:

• I am not going to be as strict as MKnight, but I will impose one draft rule: I will not have a top 3 pick in back to back years. 
  • I will not be signing any big name free agents. I will fill out for depth and probably need to sign a starter or two, but I won't be participating in marquee dudes. 
  • I always turn all injury frequency down because it's annoying
  • I will bring back Vince Carter to retire here
  • I will do my best to have the logo reverted back to the early 2000s Raptor

I am starting this league off where we are in real life, so we pick up with the Warriors up 1-0 on the Cavs in the Finals.

Playoff Note

The Warriors sweep the Cavs to win the 2018 NBA Finals. Steph Curry was the Finals MVP with 25p-7r-10a. Lebron posted a 44-9-9 line and got sweptO.o 

Notable Retirements

• Jason Terry
  • Paul Pierce - HOF
  • Richard Jefferson
  • Joe Johnson

Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, and Manu Ginobli all retired, but I overrode that because they are continuing IRL. 

League Meetings

No new rules were Approved this year (as soon as I see it, I will be approving to abolish the One and Done rule)

Draft Class

Unfortunately because I started this draft late, I can't see who the top prospects are. I don't currently have any draft picks, and honestly, from what I can tell, this draft class is dog ****. I am going to find some trades, but not really sure I want any picks this year.

Draft Lottery

I skipped through the Lottery accidentally. The top 10 picks are:

1. Magic
  2. Grizzlies
  3. Suns
  4. Mavericks
  5. Hawks
  6. Kings
  7. Bulls
  8. Cavaliers
  9. Knicks
  10. 76ers

Rough go for the Suns and Kings

Staff Changes

Soon to be Coach of the year Dwayne Casey has been given the boot. In his place, the Raptors have hired Mark Stauffer to a 4 year deal. A new scout and CFO were also hired. 

Offloading Plugs

So this is going to be harder than I thought.... There are no trade offers for Derozan. Zero. 

I'm going to explore trades for Ibaka, Lowry, and JV.

TRADE
RAPTORS RECEIVE   SPURS RECEIVE
2019 1st   PF SERGE IBAKA 80 2 / $45m
2021 1st    

So this makes sense because I really want this contract gone. I don't expect these to be lottery picks, but I can add some nice depth players with them. 

TRADE
RAPTORS RECEIVE   BULLS RECEIVE
PF BOBBY PORTIS 79 1 / $2.5M   PG KYLE LOWRY 84 2 / $64.4M
SG JUSTIN HOLIDAY 74 1 / $4.4M          

I had to get rid of one of Lowry or Derozan, and since Derozan is un-tradeable, off goes Kyle. 

TRADE
RAPTORS RECEIVE   PELICANS RECEIVE
PG FRANK JACKSON 70 1 / $1.4M   PG DELON WRIGHT 76 1 / $2.5M
2020 1ST LOTTERY PROT.          

I'm not a big Delon Wright fan, so trading him for a 20 year old PG and picking up a late pick works for me. 

That's it for trading. I'll have to fill out my roster in free agency.

Since I have ZERO picks in this year's draft (thanks Ujiri), I'm going to skip through the draft. I'll check in after though to see what the top prospects look like, since I only have them 25% scouted. 

2018 Draft Lite

1. Magic took PG Jim Wise 75 ovr A pot
  2. Grizz took SF Hal Braun 75 ovr A pot
  3. Suns selected C **** Robinson 76 ovr A+ pot
  4. Mavs got SF Walt Hickson 75 ovr B pot
  5. Hawks SF Sheldon Wesley 74 ovr B+ pot
  6. Kings C Sean Franklin 74 ovr A+ pot
  7. Bulls SF Nicholas Ruffin 74 ovr A pot
  8. Cavs Brett Marsh 77 ovr A- pot

Okay so this isn't that bad of a class at all. 6 of the top 8 have A potential. The Suns Center, Robinson, is a 7 footer with 8 solid badges, and the Kings Center Franklin is 7'3 with a dominant interior game. Damn

Options

The only option is a team option on SF Alfonso McKinnie, which I will be declining. tbh I don't even know who that is. 

Qualifying Offers

Thankfully in this game, that Norman Powell extension hasn't happened. Here are the players who I can give QOs to:

POSITION PLAYER OVR AGE OFFER
SF NORMAN POWELL 74 25 $2.04M
PG FRED VANVLEET 76 24 $1.84M
C LUCAS NOGUEIRA 72 25 $4.14M

Bye norm. Go play piano and make more crap singles. 

I love VV so I will be signing him to a longer deal if possible, otherwise matching whatever he gets offered elsewhere.

Lucas Nogueira is so weird. My last memory of him is Dwayne Casey inexplicably playing him in the first series against Washington and getting destroyed. Or was that Cleveland? Who cares. I also hate typing his name. 

Free Agency

Like I said, I won't be digging into the pockets for star free agents. There are a few this year, but rebuilds are always more satisfying when you draft your own players and watch the team grow. As such, I am adding some vet stop gaps and some players I personally like.

POSITION PLAYER OVR AGE TERM VALUE STATUS
PG FRED VANVLEET 76 24 4 $12M ACCEPTED
PG JOSE CALDERON 74 36 1 MIN ACCEPTED
SF OMAR CASSPI 75 30 2 MIN ACCEPTED
PF MIKE SCOTT 76 30 2 MIN ACCEPTED
C ANDREW BOGUT 74 33 1 MIN ACCEPTED

Like I said, I like Freddy. He gets a 4 year deal to be the current starting PG, and then the 6th man if I end up drafting a point within the next couple years. 

I brought Jose home. I was a big Raps fan 10 years ago, and my moms favourite player was Jose. It felt right. 

Casspi is just a guy that I like having cause he can shoot. Mike Scott really impressed me this year in the Wizards series against the Raptors, so I grabbed him for a couple years. And finally, Andrew Bogut was the #1 pick when I was really into basketball, so he can sit on my bench. 

League FA Signings

PLAYER TEAM TERM VALUE (millions)
PF JABARI PARKER BUCKS 4 $108
C CLINT CAPELA ROCKETS 4 $109
PF JULIUS RANDLE LAKERS 3 $80
PG CHRIS PAUL ROCKETS 5 $188
C DEANDRE JORDAN CLIPPERS 5 $189
SF KEVIN DURANT WARRIORS 4 $147
C DEMARCUS COUSINS PELICANS 5 $168
C ENES KANTER KNICKS 4 $122
PF AARON GORDON MAGIC 4 $106
C JUSUF NURKIC BLAZERS 4 $108
SG TYREKE EVANS 76ERS 3 $87
SG JJ REDICK HAWKS 2 $23
SG DWAYNE WADE SPURS 2 $7
SG MARCUS SMART CELTICS 4 $113
SG AVERY BRADLEY LAKERS 3 $60

No real surprises here. I'm disappointed that Boogie stayed in New Orleans because I have one of their picks, but oh well. Spurs didn't have any real activity so here's to them having a worse than usual season!

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

You’re better off continuing to bring VV off the bench.  If you make him a starter then push him to the bench later he will complain.

It' been a while since I've done one of these, but I'm doing myLeague, not myGM. Players don't have attitudes and there is no owner.

2018/2019 Season

Here is the opening day roster for the Raptors. I'm sure this will look a lot different after the trade deadline, because SOMEONE has to be interested in Derozan and JV for a playoff push. I can't imagine we will be better than middle of the pack by then anyways. 

ROSTER
POSITION PLAYER OVR AGE MIN
PG FRED VANVLEET 76 24 36
SG DEMAR DEROZAN 88 29 32
SF OG ANUNOBY 75 21 34
PF PASCAL SIAKAM 76 24 22
C JONAS VALANCIUNAS 85 26 26
Rotation Position        
6 SF CJ MILES 75 31 22
7 PF BOBBY PORTIS 79 23 20
8 PG FRANK JACKSON 70 20 18
9 C JAKOB POELTL 75 23 18
10 SG MALACHI RICHARDSON 70 22 12
11 SG JUSTIN HOLIDAY 74 29 0
12 SF OMAR CASSPI 75 30 0
13 PF MIKE SCOTT 76 30 0
RES PG JOSE CALDERON 71 37 0
RES C ANDREW BOGUT 71 33 0

Ideally, I would like to move both Derozan and JV at the deadline, but let's see how this season goes. I'd like to keep OG around for a while because he's young, and I like him. I hope to see some nice development from him this year.

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:
17 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

It' been a while since I've done one of these, but I'm doing myLeague, not myGM. Players don't have attitudes and there is no owner.

Ah.

Honestly I like myGM, but a) the GM levels make it kinda easier after a few years, and b) the stupid forced first draft class keeps me from going back to it

20 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Honestly I like myGM, but a) the GM levels make it kinda easier after a few years, and b) the stupid forced first draft class keeps me from going back to it

If you unequip the badges you earn you don’t get any of the bonuses in myGM.

TRADE
RAPTORS RECEIVE   PACERS RECEIVE
2019 1st T3 prot   C JAKOB POELTL 75 1 / $2.9M

Now, I wasn't looking to trade Poeltl. I actually kinda like him. But I didn't expect to be offered 1st round pick out of him for next year's draft. I'm sure the Pacers will be pretty good and this will be a late teens-mid 20s pick, but I'm okay with that. Poeltl is a JAG and I don't think I'll do worse than him with the pick. Plus the more picks this year the better.

With this trade, I could be in a bit of a roster pickle if I trade JV too. 

ROSTER
POSITION PLAYER OVR AGE MIN
PG FRED VANVLEET 76 24 36
SG DEMAR DEROZAN 88 29 32
SF OG ANUNOBY 75 21 32
PF PASCAL SIAKAM 76 24 24
C JONAS VALANCIUNAS 85 26 26
Rotation Position        
6 SF CJ MILES 75 31 22
7 PF BOBBY PORTIS 79 23 20
8 PG FRANK JACKSON 70 20 18
9 SG MALACHI RICHARDSON 70 22 16 (+4)